Not open for further replies.

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red
I was looking at the Ridgeline the past couple of years and many publications had glowing reports on it. Consumer Reports had it ranked the number one mid size for a couple of years among four trucks (Ranger not included). The highest praise I saw for the Ridgeline was the quiet, smooth ride. Seems like it should be a good ride because it is basically a SUV with a pickup bed. I did like the swinging tailgate and the compartment/cooler under the pickup bed was unique. Liked a few other features on it but I think it looks kinda plain. Guess they have sold well but I have only seen five or so on the road in the last couple of years.
Sponsored

jesskewl

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 dodge durango RT
I owned a 2018 Honda Ridgeline.....now I do not......nuff said...alot of glitches.

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru outback
The Honda Ridgeline is not a truck. It is an El Camino like vehicle.
The El Camino and Ranchero are both more of a truck than the Ridgeline.
I just can't get past the front wheel drive design of the Honda. I know it's all wheel drive, but it is a front wheel design vehicle.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly had no idea it was built in Alabama either but I haven't really followed truck news the last few years. I'm guessing they don't sell to well in this area. I see plenty of Fords, Chevys, and Dodge trucks.
It could be a regional thing. Lots of them here in California, particularly in the cities. The smaller size and comfort makes them more attractive for urban dwellers than a full-size truck.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
If it's designed to haul heavy loads or pull trailer loads then it fits the definition of a truck.
I would agree with you that both of these items are integral to the design of a truck, and the Ridgeline is ill-designed for either task. Among the 6 vehicles in the ranking, the Ridgeline comes in dead last (by a pretty substantial margin!) in towing capacity, and 5th in total payload.

MrClortho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 ZJ, '17 JKU, '14 WK2
I run with Jeep and off-road clubs, trips, meetings, etc...

I could only imagine rolling up in a Ridgeline to a club meeting, touting about it being 'truck of the year'. I imagine most people trying not to all out laugh and attempt to be polite while thinking, "What a tool.", lol.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
It could be a regional thing. Lots of them here in California, particularly in the cities. The smaller size and comfort makes them more attractive for urban dwellers than a full-size truck.
It certainly doesn't look like something most people in southern Alabama would drive. We have people here that drive large dually trucks simply to go get groceries...

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I run with Jeep and off-road clubs, trips, meetings, etc...

I could only imagine rolling up in a Ridgeline to a club meeting, touting about it being 'truck of the year'. I imagine most people trying not to all out laugh and attempt to be polite while thinking, "What a tool.", lol.
I agree. That isn't the right tool for the job. But if you don't go offroad and use your Jeep like the other 90% of the owners for general transportation then it really isn't the right tool for the job either.

The Ridgeline is a great truck for the tasks it is designed for. Don't dis it because it wasn't designed for you. Just don't buy it.

And my defense for it isn't because of any preference for it. I'm always trying to think of the counterpoint even if I don't agree with it. It's the best way to get a balanced perspective. Example... The are valid reasons where the full body on frame construction is better. Not always the reasons people think. GM, Ford, Jeep and Ram know their customers. Some of those are fleets that customize their vehicles for utility. The frame lets the bed be removed so a tool bed box, flat bed, chemical sprayer or other attachments can be put in their place. The frame gives those fleet customers hard points to mount a plow, railroad guides, lifts, etc...

You aren't taking the bed off a Ridgeline to swap in a tool carrier. But Honda doesn't sell to those types and doesn't need that design.

Last edited:

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I agree. That isn't the right tool for the job. But if you don't go offroad and use your Jeep like the other 90% of the owners for general transportation then it really isn't the right tool for the job either.

The Ridgeline is a great truck for the tasks it is designed for. Don't dis it because it wasn't designed for you. Just don't buy it.

And my defense for it isn't because of any preference for it. I'm always trying to think of the counterpoint even if I don't agree with it. It's the best way to get a balanced perspective. Example... The are valid reasons where the full body on frame construction is better. Not always the reasons people think. GM, Ford, Jeep and Ram know their customers. Some of those are fleets that customize their vehicles for utility. The frame lets the bed be removed so a tool bed box, flat bed, chemical sprayer or other attachments can be put in their place. The frame gives those fleet customers hard points to mount a plow, railroad guides, lifts, etc...

You aren't taking the bed off a Ridgeline to swap in a tool carrier. But Honda doesn't sell to those types and doesn't need that design.
I tend to be pretty opinionated so maybe take this with a grain of salt but I refuse to call that thing a truck primarily because of this:

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/...L_3.5L_V6/tires_and_wheels/change_a_flat_tire

On the other hand, this provides no end of enjoyment every year at the local car show when I go to the Honda booth, watch the Honda person espouse the virtues of the Ridgeline and then ask if anyone has any questions. I always raise my hand and ask "so where is the spare tire?" They gleefully show me as if it's some sort of huge benefit. I then ask "so what do you do when you have a bed full of rocks?". It's super amusing to see all the grins turn to puzzled faces that then turn to frowns. It's at that point that I smile and say "it's obvious that the Engineers at Honda are not real truck drivers" and walk away all proud of myself.:).

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Well Boy's if you take a minute the name of the magazine is (Car and driver) not truck and driver. Need we beat a dead horse here??

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
Do you agree with this ranking by Car and Driver?

via: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15378489/best-midsize-trucks/

6. Nissan Frontier
2019-nissan-frontier-1546982195.jpg

Nissan's Frontier is a relic that predates its competitors by nearly a decade, with the current version dating back to 2005. There has been only a smattering of changes since Nissan refreshed the truck for 2009. The basic interior trails the rest of the pack in terms of creature comforts and technology, although a 7.0-inch touchscreen is now standard on entry-level S and SV trims. Ditto the aging powertrains, which include a standard 152-hp four-cylinder and an optional 261-hp V-6. Desert Runner and Pro-4X trims offer a smidge of off-road capability by way of bigger tires and upgraded shocks, but aren't enough to advance the Frontier's place in the segment.

5. Toyota Tacoma
4-2017-toyota-tacoma-116-ms-1529001811.jpg?crop=0.957xw:0.958xh;0,0.jpg

If the mid-size truck market has a patron saint, the Toyota Tacoma is it. Building on the rugged and reliable legacy of its predecessor (known globally as the Hilux), the Tacoma sacrifices some of the refinement and premium options found in newer competitors for an uncompromising (and appealing) do-it-all character. Available in extended cab and crew cab body styles with either a 6.1- or 5.5-foot bed, the Toyota is neither the most efficient nor spacious mid-sizer, and the go-kart driving position its low-mounted seats provides is unique. Skip the base 159-hp 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine for the optional 278-hp 3.5-liter V-6, and off-roaders will want to spring for the TRD Pro version, which has a heavy-duty off-road tuned suspension and requisite bro-tastic exterior graphics.

4. GMC Canyon
2018-gmc-canyon-01-placement-cda-1527097628.jpg

The mid-size GMC Canyon doesn't stray too far from the blueprint of the full-size GMC Sierra pickup. So, if you like GMC's bigger truck but wish it were available in 7/10ths scale, the Canyon is your ride. But it's also the nearly-identical Chevrolet Colorado's kissing cousin, and in most cases the GMC Canyon doesn't offer enough unique content to warrant shelling out the extra cash GMC charges for its badging. (The two GM trucks share gas four- and six-cylinder engines, as well as a diesel four-cylinder.) The exception, of course, is the full-boat Denali trim, which is the perfect mount for curbside cowboys and cowgirls with an itch for mid-size bling.

3. Chevrolet Colorado
2018-chevrolet-colorado-in-depth-model-review-car-and-driver-photo-690449-s-original.jpg

Available in three cab-and-bed configurations, Chevrolet's Colorado is a versatile mid-sized hauler that offers nearly as much utility as full-size pickups in a slightly smaller package. A 2.5-liter inline-four with 200 horsepower and 191 lb-ft of torque is standard; the optional are a 3.6-liter V-6 (308 horsepower, 275 lb-ft) and a 2.8-liter turbo-diesel inline-four (186 horsepower, 369 lb-ft), which has a tow rating of up to 7700 pounds. A trail-ready ZR2 trim gets a unique suspension and other off-road kit, and the ZR2 Bison adds a quintet of skid plates, front and rear steel bumpers, and a unique grille. The Chevrolet's value relative to the mechanically identical yet slightly pricier GMC Canyon is what places it ahead of that truck in our rankings.

2. Ford Ranger
2019-ford-ranger-124-1534258311.jpg

Missing in action since 2011, the Ford Ranger returns for 2019 to reclaim its territory as one of the most popular and long-running nameplates in the small-to-midsize truck realm. At launch, the only powertrain on offer is a 270-hp turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder paired with a ten-speed automatic transmission; rear-wheel drive is standard. Stepping up to four-wheel drive also brings a boost in ground clearance, from 8.4 inches to 8.9 inches, though both drive configurations offer electronically locking rear differentials. Next to its good looks, the Ford offers functional doodads such as a Terrain Management system (with settings for grass, gravel, and snow; another for mud and ruts; and one for sand), an optional tow package that ups the tow rating to 7500 pounds and the payload to 1860 pounds.

1. Honda Ridgeline
2019-honda-ridgeline-111-1528834993.jpg?crop=0.786xw:0.786xh;0,0.jpg

Offering a roomy cabin, a 5000-pound maximum towing capacity, and a five-star NHTSA safety rating, the Honda Ridgeline is all the mid-size truck most people need. Its 3.5-liter V-6 makes 280 horsepower and 262 lb-ft with a six-speed automatic and front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. Wait, did we just say "front-wheel drive?" We did. The Honda Ridgeline features carlike unitized (as opposed to old-school body-on-frame) body construction, which affords it numerous everyday advantages over its competition, including good fuel economy, smart handling, a spacious interior, and an excellent ride. With no frame rails getting in the way of the space beneath the Honda's pickup bed, there is room for an innovative waterproof, lockable "trunk." All of these reasons stand behind our decision to name the Honda our favorite mid-size pickup two years running.
I had one of the original Ridgelines and always regretted selling it. It didn’t ride like a truck, was quiet with a smooth ride. I had the AWD and did a bit of duck hunting. It would do what I needed it to do. I’d wager 90%+ of truck owners want a truck because it’s a masculine thing. I like the looks of the Ranger but the Honda is a Honda, which is a huge plus for me.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I had one of the original Ridgelines and always regretted selling it. It didn’t ride like a truck, was quiet with a smooth ride. I had the AWD and did a bit of duck hunting. It would do what I needed it to do. I’d wager 90%+ of truck owners want a truck because it’s a masculine thing. I like the looks of the Ranger but the Honda is a Honda, which is a huge plus for me.
I want a truck because I do truck things like haul stuff, tow stuff and go places a car can't. While a ridgeline would do some of that it fails miserably at payload and towing weight.

"Masculine thing" plays no part in it. It is a tool for a job.

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
wouldn’t a Colorado diesel be more appropriate than a Ranger for towing and hauling?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
wouldn’t a Colorado diesel be more appropriate than a Ranger for towing and hauling?
I believe the ranger has more payload although the diesel can tow 200 pounds more. Any truck is a compromise to some degree. I feel like the new ranger is the best compromise for me.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.