Car and Driver: Every New Mid-Size Pickup Truck Ranked from Worst to Best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Do you agree with this ranking by Car and Driver?

via: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15378489/best-midsize-trucks/

6. Nissan Frontier
2019-nissan-frontier-1546982195.jpg

Nissan's Frontier is a relic that predates its competitors by nearly a decade, with the current version dating back to 2005. There has been only a smattering of changes since Nissan refreshed the truck for 2009. The basic interior trails the rest of the pack in terms of creature comforts and technology, although a 7.0-inch touchscreen is now standard on entry-level S and SV trims. Ditto the aging powertrains, which include a standard 152-hp four-cylinder and an optional 261-hp V-6. Desert Runner and Pro-4X trims offer a smidge of off-road capability by way of bigger tires and upgraded shocks, but aren't enough to advance the Frontier's place in the segment.

5. Toyota Tacoma
4-2017-toyota-tacoma-116-ms-1529001811.jpg?crop=0.957xw:0.958xh;0,0.jpg

If the mid-size truck market has a patron saint, the Toyota Tacoma is it. Building on the rugged and reliable legacy of its predecessor (known globally as the Hilux), the Tacoma sacrifices some of the refinement and premium options found in newer competitors for an uncompromising (and appealing) do-it-all character. Available in extended cab and crew cab body styles with either a 6.1- or 5.5-foot bed, the Toyota is neither the most efficient nor spacious mid-sizer, and the go-kart driving position its low-mounted seats provides is unique. Skip the base 159-hp 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine for the optional 278-hp 3.5-liter V-6, and off-roaders will want to spring for the TRD Pro version, which has a heavy-duty off-road tuned suspension and requisite bro-tastic exterior graphics.

4. GMC Canyon
2018-gmc-canyon-01-placement-cda-1527097628.jpg

The mid-size GMC Canyon doesn't stray too far from the blueprint of the full-size GMC Sierra pickup. So, if you like GMC's bigger truck but wish it were available in 7/10ths scale, the Canyon is your ride. But it's also the nearly-identical Chevrolet Colorado's kissing cousin, and in most cases the GMC Canyon doesn't offer enough unique content to warrant shelling out the extra cash GMC charges for its badging. (The two GM trucks share gas four- and six-cylinder engines, as well as a diesel four-cylinder.) The exception, of course, is the full-boat Denali trim, which is the perfect mount for curbside cowboys and cowgirls with an itch for mid-size bling.

3. Chevrolet Colorado
2018-chevrolet-colorado-in-depth-model-review-car-and-driver-photo-690449-s-original.jpg

Available in three cab-and-bed configurations, Chevrolet's Colorado is a versatile mid-sized hauler that offers nearly as much utility as full-size pickups in a slightly smaller package. A 2.5-liter inline-four with 200 horsepower and 191 lb-ft of torque is standard; the optional are a 3.6-liter V-6 (308 horsepower, 275 lb-ft) and a 2.8-liter turbo-diesel inline-four (186 horsepower, 369 lb-ft), which has a tow rating of up to 7700 pounds. A trail-ready ZR2 trim gets a unique suspension and other off-road kit, and the ZR2 Bison adds a quintet of skid plates, front and rear steel bumpers, and a unique grille. The Chevrolet's value relative to the mechanically identical yet slightly pricier GMC Canyon is what places it ahead of that truck in our rankings.

2. Ford Ranger
2019-ford-ranger-124-1534258311.jpg

Missing in action since 2011, the Ford Ranger returns for 2019 to reclaim its territory as one of the most popular and long-running nameplates in the small-to-midsize truck realm. At launch, the only powertrain on offer is a 270-hp turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder paired with a ten-speed automatic transmission; rear-wheel drive is standard. Stepping up to four-wheel drive also brings a boost in ground clearance, from 8.4 inches to 8.9 inches, though both drive configurations offer electronically locking rear differentials. Next to its good looks, the Ford offers functional doodads such as a Terrain Management system (with settings for grass, gravel, and snow; another for mud and ruts; and one for sand), an optional tow package that ups the tow rating to 7500 pounds and the payload to 1860 pounds.

1. Honda Ridgeline
2019-honda-ridgeline-111-1528834993.jpg?crop=0.786xw:0.786xh;0,0.jpg

Offering a roomy cabin, a 5000-pound maximum towing capacity, and a five-star NHTSA safety rating, the Honda Ridgeline is all the mid-size truck most people need. Its 3.5-liter V-6 makes 280 horsepower and 262 lb-ft with a six-speed automatic and front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. Wait, did we just say "front-wheel drive?" We did. The Honda Ridgeline features carlike unitized (as opposed to old-school body-on-frame) body construction, which affords it numerous everyday advantages over its competition, including good fuel economy, smart handling, a spacious interior, and an excellent ride. With no frame rails getting in the way of the space beneath the Honda's pickup bed, there is room for an innovative waterproof, lockable "trunk." All of these reasons stand behind our decision to name the Honda our favorite mid-size pickup two years running.
Sponsored

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
I couldn't think of what six mid-size trucks we have in the US until I got to the bottom. What a joke :headbang:

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Ridgeline at number 1? Are they high?

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
The Honda is not a true truck

AnimeRanger87

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 XLT 2X4 Reg cab. 2019 XLT Supercrew 4x4, 2000 XLT Supercab 2x4
Occupation
Production associates with Honda
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah sorry I never thought of the Honda Ridgeliner as a truck so yeah the Ranger should be number 1.

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I’ve read a lot of good things about the Ridgeline; especially for suburban folks who use it as a daily driver. I’m just not a fan of Honda and the Ridgeline just looks awkward.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a Honda Odyssey and remove the rear seat and tailgate?

RixRanger

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-350, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
I have to agree with the rest of you, the Honda is a street truck. Thats NOT why I'm buying a mid-size truck. I go off road a lot and I need a capable off-road version of whatever it is I buy. I had a 1993 Ranger; its still on the road with over 300,000 miles on the clock. My soon-to-be-built 2019 Ranger has everything I want in a truck and then some. One thing I need is the ability to flat-tow. You can do that with this Ranger as I did with my '93. I LIKE body-on-frame architecture, it is the proven way to go with trucks. C&D didn't mention that Ranger has 310 lb-ft of torque and the Chevy/GMC with the diesel engine can only tow 200 pounds more than the Ranger. I drove one and I fits me well and is super comfortable. Frosting on the cake: I have a great Ford Dealer in my area. They take care of my needs, large and small. Mr. Ranger V 2.0 will be birthed 02/08/2019. I can hardly wait!

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
the Honda reminds me of a newer version of a dodge rampage.

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
First of all, you have to define "best". Best means different things to different people. If it's reliability you're after, the Nissan actually goes to the top of the list. It's been out for 14 years now and there are hardly any problems remaining with them. I had a 2013 model and other than a small axle leak, it was flawless.

Secondly, how can you put the Ranger ahead of the Colorado/Canyon when A) it's just now showing up to market and B) it's got fewer engine options, packages, and models to choose from?

Third, the words "Honda" and "truck" should never be used together in the same sentence.

Lloyd C

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus RX350
I agree with most above. I am new to the truck market but now that i have my high mountain cabin and a trailer Honda provides less value to me than my soon to be history Lexus RX 360. I also found the Honda piece written in a misleading fashion drawing conclutions without providing the numbers or direct comparisons. I have been reading extensively concerning mid size trucks and as stated before me I would see honda as an SUV with open rather than closed trunk. I wonder if the author drives or has any need for a TRUCK?

Status
Not open for further replies.