First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I just bought a 2019 XLT and I've been noticing a consistent buzz coming from, what sounds like, the engine. I notice it most while sitting idle in my garage, and then becomes less noticeable when I start driving and outside noise enters the cab. It gets louder as the RPM climbs. Does anyone else experience this?

I've read a few forum discussions related to this. They state that this is part of the design of a high pressure fuel pump or direct injection pump.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a 2019 XLT and I've been noticing a consistent buzz coming from, what sounds like, the engine. I notice it most while sitting idle in my garage, and then becomes less noticeable when I start driving and outside noise enters the cab. It gets louder as the RPM climbs. Does anyone else experience this?

I've read a few forum discussions related to this. They state that this is part of the design of a high pressure fuel pump or direct injection pump.
Hi Joe,

Likely the boost control rod on the turbo....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Mine does this and has done it since I got it. It makes the noise when I first start out down the street in the morning. It stops by the time I pull out of the neighborhood. So I hadn't given it much thought.

OP
OP

RangerJoe

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Joe,

Likely the boost control rod on the turbo....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the reply, Phil. Is this part of standard operations or something that I should look more into?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply, Phil. Is this part of standard operations or something that I should look more into?
Hi Joe,

Pretty much SOP..... You can mitigate it somewhat with the Lariat Engine Cover used in 2019 into early 2020.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

RangerJoe

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Is it in fact a buzzing sound or a ticking sound? because if it's the latter it's the fuel injectors on this motor which I hate the ticking noise it makes because quite frankly it makes the motor sound cheap if that makes any sense.
"Ticking" might be a better adjective. The article that JTDay posted above provides a pretty good summary of what it could be. Seems to be a common symptom of the fuel pump or direct injector design. There looks to be some fixes to reduce the sound by buying a lariat cover or using warranty to have Ford dealer replace oil pump with a more rigid replacement.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I don't believe the oil pump thing applies to the petrol ranger. These engines are just noisy. Take it in if you think it's something other than the fuel system.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Im betting its the HPFI hes hearing.
Hi Jack,

I think the HPFI sounds more like a sewing maching and I am getting the idea of a high frequency rattle of some sort.... Either way....nothing to which worry.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jack,

I think the HPFI sounds more like a sewing maching and I am getting the idea of a high frequency rattle of some sort.... Either way....nothing to which worry.
HPFI reminds me of the old toy cars that you pulled backwards to wind, then let them go.
Sponsored