Buying truck out of state

GMTmin5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I'm looking to buy a Tremor and I've found a couple out of state. Much to my surprise, the dealer told me the incentives apply to where I live, not where the dealership is located. Is that correct? I have bought other cars out of state and had the opposite experience. I traveled from MI to IL to buy a VW Atlas last year because the incentives were essentially an additional 10% off the price of the car in IL. Does Ford really apply incentives to your local market, even when buying somewhere else?
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Weird. I bought mine out of state too, and now I'm not sure if the incentives were different for me. I got the same ones that were on the website, though.

Hiphip35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford ranger xlt, 2021 Ford ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
I live in pa and bought mine from va. The dealership disclosed to me that your incentives are based on your home location and not based on the dealership’s. Just my experience they are correct.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
He may be right as they do apply to where the truck will be registered. Sometimes incentives are regional, and doesn't apply everywhere else. Ex. Ford has a $250 4 wheel drive discount just in the southeast region now. Check www.ford.com under the "incentives" tab, and it will give you where the discounts apply. Also, I may be off the base myself. You could call Ford, and ask also.

CollieDog

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Civil Construction Estimator
I just bought my 2021 XLT out of state last weekend, as they were the only dealer that offered less than MSRP. Rebates apply to your home zip code were the vehicle will be registered. At least that is the case for Ford vehicles.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'm looking to buy a Tremor and I've found a couple out of state. Much to my surprise, the dealer told me the incentives apply to where I live, not where the dealership is located. Is that correct? I have bought other cars out of state and had the opposite experience. I traveled from MI to IL to buy a VW Atlas last year because the incentives were essentially an additional 10% off the price of the car in IL. Does Ford really apply incentives to your local market, even when buying somewhere else?
Generally, factory incentives can differ from zone to zone in amount and duration. Incentives and taxes are determined by where the vehicle is ultimately registered.
This discourages customers from buying out of zone, and simplifies dealer trades. When a dealer reports a vehicle sold, the dealer incentives apply to where the dealership is regardless of where it was originally ordered from and shipped to, and the customer incentives are applied to where the vehicle is registered.
Example:
A Wisconsin customer comes into a Michigan dealership and wants a certain Ranger, which the dealer doesn't have in stock. The dealer locates one in Iowa that the customer will accept and the MI dealer does a trade with the IA dealer. Both dealers report their vehicles sold, and collect their own F-T-D incentives. The WI customer gets the WI customer incentives applicable to their primary address and pays the WI taxes & fees at the time of delivery at the MI dealership.
Then keeps it at his AZ winter home.:facepalm:

Destination and Delivery is flat rated across the country. At one time, I sold at a Ford dealership that was six miles from Twin City Assembly. Once in a while there would be a customer that was outraged at having to pay full DD on a Ranger.
Sponsored