Buying Dealer Stock Instead of Waiting for Order

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone ordered a Ranger then decided to buy a Ranger that was later on the lot? The dealership I am going through doesn't even have a VIN yet for my order but will have an almost identical truck to mine on their lot by the end of the month.

Was the dealer willing to apply your deposit towards the lot truck? What about any negotiated discounts?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
They have to apply your deposit. They will either sell this one, or they will sell yours. I know they called my dad as soon as they got one in to see if he wanted to take that one instead, he ordered a lariat, they offered an XLT, so of course he passed.

darren

First Name
darren piper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f150
Has anyone ordered a Ranger then decided to buy a Ranger that was later on the lot? The dealership I am going through doesn't even have a VIN yet for my order but will have an almost identical truck to mine on their lot by the end of the month.

Was the dealer willing to apply your deposit towards the lot truck? What about any negotiated discounts?
i ordered one august 17 they ended up having a stock lariat come in bought it instead of waiting i upgraded from the xlt i ordered

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't order one, but it looks like it'll be faster to just wait for a Dealer Ordered version that meets my needs than to Custom Order one at this point!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
i ordered one august 17 they ended up having a stock lariat come in bought it instead of waiting i upgraded from the xlt i ordered
Do you know if your actual truck ever came in? My dad ordered in September, and they keep telling him "Next week" (lol). I'll get his vin and see if I can look up his order...

In the "processing" step, might be a minute for him yet I suppose...

Last edited:

darren

First Name
darren piper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f150
Do you know if your actual truck ever came in? My dad ordered in September, and they keep telling him "Next week" (lol). I'll get his vin and see if I can look up his order...

In the "processing" step, might be a minute for him yet I suppose...
it was supposed t be in the 10th of feb then changed to feb 17th i ordered an xlt but decided to upgrade i looked my order up with my vin still said proessing this morning

MaineRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat 4x4
My ROVP has been pushed back week after week after week. My dealer doesn't seem interested in keeping me updated and all I have relied on is the inconsistent tracker on the website. My fear is that If I buy a dealer stock order, I would be out my $500 deposit and the $750 pre-order bonus cash. But, other dealers in the area are now advertising what they have ordered (not yet delivered) at prices $1500-2000 under MSRP. I didn't negotiate price when I ordered as I had a trade in that would have to wait to be appraised anyway, So, as the customer, I will give my $40000 plus dollars worth of business to the dealer who will treat me the best and give me the best deal. . Who would blame me? I ordered this in August and am displeased with the lack of communication from both FMC and my dealer, but mostly FMC.

OP
OP
HighFivenWhiteGuy

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
What has been said makes a lot of sense and is how I am feeling. Whenever I talk to my sales rep he acts like it is such a burden to provide me any information, if I get a response at all. The minute I gave them the $1000 deposit they stopped caring, or so it seems. Hopefully I can talk them into applying my negotiated discounts and deposit on the dealer stock once it arrives.

OP
OP
HighFivenWhiteGuy

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I will wait for my order so I get exactly what I want. I plan on keeping the truck for at least 10 years. Dealer stock is always missing something you really want.
Fair point, and is likely what I will end up doing. The wait time gives me the chance to save up a nice down payment and continue to build my credit score. The Ranger I am eyeballing that is expected to be at the dealer by the end of February is almost the same as what I want except it has running boards, sport appearance package and the bed utility package. I never liked drop-in bed liners and paying $900 for a different color paint on the bumpers and grill seems like a ripoff.

MaineRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat 4x4
I will wait for my order so I get exactly what I want. I plan on keeping the truck for at least 10 years. Dealer stock is always missing something you really want.
True. A lot of dealer stock is omitting the Tow Package and is loaded with stuff I would not want. I just wish this process was more straightforward. My original delivery date has changed by a month now and it just makes it hard to plan or to sell my current vehicle outright.

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
My avatar is close to what I ordered but I can't wait to change it with a pic of the real thing.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I found one I like in stock at a dealer in Denver. I live in DC. My local dealer said it would cost $1200 to transfer it here. You all know of any better way? Short of flying to Denver and driving it home.

OP
OP
HighFivenWhiteGuy

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
So I spoke with my dealer and they are willing to apply my deposit and negotiated discounts towards a stock Ranger once it arrives. The one they are receiving is close enough to what I ordered that they feel confident that they will have no trouble selling the Ranger I ordered.

I do not have any info regarding when they ordered it, only that it is expected around March 11. My order still does not have a VIN or build week, and it was placed on January 17th.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
So I spoke with my dealer and they are willing to apply my deposit and negotiated discounts towards a stock Ranger once it arrives. The one they are receiving is close enough to what I ordered that they feel confident that they will have no trouble selling the Ranger I ordered.

I do not have any info regarding when they ordered it, only that it is expected around March 11. My order still does not have a VIN or build week, and it was placed on January 17th.
My January 15 order got its vin today. Scheduled week of 4/1. Every one needs to realize that the plant is ramping up building a new vehicle. I would rather the schedule slips a little than them pushing out any defects.
Sponsored