Buying Dealer Stock Instead of Waiting for Order

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer I bought my Ranger from had it marked up $2,995 over MSRP. The salesman let it slip that it arrived 2 weeks ago and they had zero interest on it (no shit).

“X Plan” was the magic word because suddenly they were willing to let it go at the X Plan price, no markup or add ons.

They seemed almost relieved I came to buy this one, they even told me they were only allocated this one Ranger and needed it gone to order more.

Point is shop around, dealers are willing to cut a deal if you know what buttons to push.
Sponsored

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer I bought my Ranger from had it marked up $2,995 over MSRP. The salesman let it slip that it arrived 2 weeks ago and they had zero interest on it (no shit).

“X Plan” was the magic word because suddenly they were willing to let it go at the X Plan price, no markup or add ons.

They seemed almost relieved I came to buy this one, they even told me they were only allocated this one Ranger and needed it gone to order more.

Point is shop around, dealers are willing to cut a deal if you know what buttons to push.
Did you get the options you really wanted or settled for a few things.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get the options you really wanted or settled for a few things.
The difference was that I lost the keypad (didn’t care anyway) and factory spray-in bedliner. I got real lucky that it was so close to what I ordered.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
The difference was that I lost the keypad (didn’t care anyway) and factory spray-in bedliner. I got real lucky that it was so close to what I ordered.
I know you haven't had it long but do you miss the keypad? Anyone else go from a keypad to non keypad and miss the option? I found a truck that ticks all the boxes except the keypad and spray in (probably add that at the dealer) and was considering asking for a dealer trade. Thoughts?

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I know you haven't had it long but do you miss the keypad? Anyone else go from a keypad to non keypad and miss the option? I found a truck that ticks all the boxes except the keypad and spray in (probably add that at the dealer) and was considering asking for a dealer trade. Thoughts?
I think the keypad or a similar battery operated version is available dealer installed.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t miss it at all.

When I originally custom ordered my Ranger, I figured I would get it since it’s only $90 with X Plan. Didn’t need it but I thought it was cool.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I can't tell you how many times I've used the keypad rather than taking the arduous journey [10 strides and 2 stair steps lol] back to the kitchen to retrieve the [expletive deleted] fob. :wink: lol

EDIT: There also were a couple of times I've left the fob (OUT OF SIGHT) inside the car and used the keypad to lock the car. Sometimes it's safer to leave the keys behind. And it leaves open the option for you OR your partner to start the car and get warm, etc.

Last edited:

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I do use it this a lot on my F150.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I do use it this a lot on my F150.
Just ask the dealer. Mine seemed willing to include that, the tow package, tray liners, the spray in and a tonneau on a dealer ordered truck that was pretty basic. I haven’t finished the deal yet though. They wanted to wait for March pricing or something. I have a deposit down and xplan.

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
Don’t miss it at all.

When I originally custom ordered my Ranger, I figured I would get it since it’s only $90 with X Plan. Didn’t need it but I thought it was cool.
So did you loose out on the $750 pre order incentive they were offering?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So did you loose out on the $750 pre order incentive they were offering?
Yes.

I had two course of actions, wait for the preorder to arrive and use the $750 incentive, or buy whatever I want now. Since I decided to upgrade from 4x2 to 4x4, I wouldn't be eligible for the incentive anyway, so clearly 4x4 was worth an extra $750.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Having the keypad is useful in numerous situations. Going fishing, biking, hiking, hunting and don't want to risk losing key, leave in a hidden place and lock the door. Need to have a trusted friend retrieve your vehicle from the airport parking lot? Lock the key inside, tell them the location and code. Or maybe leave the vehicle at the airport so you'll have a ride home when your plane is delayed for hours. Same scenario in reverse.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Having the keypad is useful in numerous situations. Going fishing, biking, hiking, hunting and don't want to risk losing key, leave in a hidden place and lock the door. Need to have a trusted friend retrieve your vehicle from the airport parking lot? Lock the key inside, tell them the location and code. Or maybe leave the vehicle at the airport so you'll have a ride home when your plane is delayed for hours. Same scenario in reverse.
Decided once and for all to hold firm on my preorder. I'd miss the keypad too much and I'm not convinced the dealer add-on will work exactly the same. No more back and forth!
Sponsored