First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Well, was able to swap the EGR sensor over the weekend. Truck was stuttering pretty bad under light load Friday night taking the wife to dinner. Pulled the sensor on Saturday, one bolt, one electrical plug and 2 hoses and it's off. The crimped on hose clamps are the hardest part, either cut or pry off with a small screw driver. I replaced with small worm drive clamps.

I noticed some liquid (water maybe) in one of the sensor ports of the one I removed. Not sure if that's related to the problem.

20211023_155314.jpg

So did it fix the problem? I'm not entirely sure. It's certainly not missing for 1-2 seconds like it was Friday night. I still feel an occasional miss on tip-in and I accumulate misfire counts in Forscan, still spread out across all cylinders. I've got to do some more driving and data logging to see for sure.

Nyghtryder

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger w/ afterburner
Occupation
Driver
I suppose that's one way to look at it. I'm a little disappointed that the problem isn't fixed, but at the same time, I can't fault the dealer for following the diagnostic they're given buy Ford and calling it good when it passes their tests. If I took the truck back to the dealer and asked them to change the EGR sensor, they probably would, but not worth the time to me to do it for a $15 part I can swap myself.

I agree with extended warranties though, always seemed like a bet on hoping something bad would happen. I also prefer to do my own work when possible so I know it's done right.
Friend, I had that egr off of there and I also had the dpfe off of there. Id pay em the 15 bucks lmao. There was times I was cussing for sure. Lol.
No seriously if its worse when it rains that screams sensor. Usually on the older cars that screamed one in particular. The coil. But you'd have a code. So I'm lost. Im in the same boat.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Other than having to lay across the engine bay to get to it, this wasn't bad. Other than the darn un-service able, non reusable hose clamps.

I had though ignition originally, but it shouldn't be bad across all 4 at the same time. Truck is definitely better after the sensor swap, I've really got to work to get it to hesitate and even then only for a second. Problem is still there though, need to do some more work with Forscan to see what else might be happening at the same time as the miss.

On a related note, does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Power train Control/Emissions diagnosis manual for this truck? The service manual refers to it, but all I can find is copies for old vehicles. (Like 2008) maybe the info isn't model specific?

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2021 Lincoln Nautilus
Other than having to lay across the engine bay to get to it, this wasn't bad. Other than the darn un-service able, non reusable hose clamps.

I had though ignition originally, but it shouldn't be bad across all 4 at the same time. Truck is definitely better after the sensor swap, I've really got to work to get it to hesitate and even then only for a second. Problem is still there though, need to do some more work with Forscan to see what else might be happening at the same time as the miss.

On a related note, does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Power train Control/Emissions diagnosis manual for this truck? The service manual refers to it, but all I can find is copies for old vehicles. (Like 2008) maybe the info isn't model specific?
This might be a good point to have the ECM reset? Relearn with the new sensor in? Just an idea.

L

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just changed the EGR sensor. Definite improvement, shudder or miss or whatever it was is almost totally gone.

And the annoying leap forward at the end of a stop is also gone!

I’m guessing that this won’t be the last time I have to replace this thing.

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just checked online and there much more then 15 dollars now. Cheapest I could find was 56 dollars

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Try Varsity Ford in Michigan. Great mail order service from them.

RangerSteve

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I just replaced LB5Z9J433B like Tim's dealer did and the issue is essentially gone. No more bucking at that RPM sweet spot, about 1500RPM, 30MPH, 7th gear. Idle is also back to buttery smooth.

Dealer insisted that a tune-up would fix the problem, and they wanted ~$300 parts/labor for 4 plugs. I did my own tune-up, to no avail.

LB5Z9J433B comes with the hoses and all, once you got the old sensor/hoses off it is a super easy install. Like Extreme just mentioned the individual sensor p/n shot up in price, the whole assy was actually cheaper. Old sensor was loaded with moisture, dripping wet.

Is there any way to make Ford aware of this problem? I wonder how many more people are having a similar issue.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
I just replaced LB5Z9J433B like Tim's dealer did and the issue is essentially gone. No more bucking at that RPM sweet spot, about 1500RPM, 30MPH, 7th gear. Idle is also back to buttery smooth.

Dealer insisted that a tune-up would fix the problem, and they wanted ~$300 parts/labor for 4 plugs. I did my own tune-up, to no avail.

LB5Z9J433B comes with the hoses and all, once you got the old sensor/hoses off it is a super easy install. Like Extreme just mentioned the individual sensor p/n shot up in price, the whole assy was actually cheaper. Old sensor was loaded with moisture, dripping wet.

Is there any way to make Ford aware of this problem? I wonder how many more people are having a similar issue.
Good to hear it worked out for you. So is this sensor a common wear part now if moisture causes it to be faulty. My vibration is so intermittent, hard to duplicate on mine but very noticeable. Occurs at any rpm range not specifically 1500-2000. Was leaning towards shimming rear end but might try what worked for guys

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2021 Lincoln Nautilus
Good to hear it worked out for you. So is this sensor a common wear part now if moisture causes it to be faulty. My vibration is so intermittent, hard to duplicate on mine but very noticeable. Occurs at any rpm range not specifically 1500-2000. Was leaning towards shimming rear end but might try what worked for guys
Now I'm kicking myself for not ordering two or three at the $15 price range I paid just a month or so ago! Hopefully the replacement will last as long as the original (≈ 3 yrs) and the price will come back to normal. Lowest I've found recently is $58!!

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Now I'm kicking myself for not ordering two or three at the $15 price range I paid just a month or so ago! Hopefully the replacement will last as long as the original (≈ 3 yrs) and the price will come back to normal. Lowest I've found recently is $58!!
Amen to that. When I ordered mine and installed it I thought I should order some spares since I am sure this thing will need regular replacement. I put it off and now it costs nearly 4 times as much as I paid.

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for the update.

RangerSteve

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
To clarify, I still experience the symptoms related to TSB 20-2277. Even though I had my dealer carry out said TSB the driveline vibration when accelerating from a stop is still there, I saw those posts about shimming the carrier bearing and I'll be trying it soon.

LB5Z9J433B solved my random misfires at the RPM/speed/gear I mentioned above, I don't believe the two problems are related to one another.
Sponsored