Up Hill Strange Bucking

VidPro

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Saber XLT - 2014 Mustang GT Convertible
I've noticed on a steep hill. When I get to the top of the hill and let off the gas and then hit the accelerator to continue on, the transmission bucks. I'm not hearing any noise. Otherwise the truck has been fine. Anybody have this issue?

Thanks!
Sponsored

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Did you notice this once or do you notice it on every single hill you drive on?

If you were on the gas, released, and back on quickly, you probably just confused the transmission shifting strategy. It was probably in between selecting another gear and you just changed the input so it quickly had to re-select. The 10-speed can be pretty busy, so I think that's what you're experiencing, but hard to be definite from your description. A video could be helpful if you're truly worried.

OP
OP
VidPro

VidPro

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you notice this once or do you notice it on every single hill you drive on?

If you were on the gas, released, and back on quickly, you probably just confused the transmission shifting strategy. It was probably in between selecting another gear and you just changed the input so it quickly had to re-select. The 10-speed can be pretty busy, so I think that's what you're experiencing, but hard to be definite from your description. A video could be helpful if you're truly worried.
Thank you for the response. I feel like it might be the transmission getting confused as well. I haven't tested it on other hills because I forgot about until this morning. I'll test it this afternoon and see if it's happening on other hills too. For the most part it seems like this one hill so far. I'll post again later on to update.

MarkC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Scab, 2012 Toyota Rav4
I've noticed on a steep hill. When I get to the top of the hill and let off the gas and then hit the accelerator to continue on, the transmission bucks. I'm not hearing any noise. Otherwise the truck has been fine. Anybody have this issue?

Thanks!
This sounds like the same thing that I noticed when I test drove a scab 4x4 XLT a couple months ago. I was on a on-ramp to the interstate and experienced a transmission buck doing the same thing. Surprised me a bit and has left me a bit gun shy about purchasing one - but I only noticed it on that one occasion during my test drive. I need to try it again.

OP
OP
VidPro

VidPro

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So today I tried to repeat the issue and it wouldn’t do it. I guess laying off the gas right before getting to the top of the hill confused the transmission.

Tony Robyn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport
Occupation
City Administrator
This happens frequently to me, almost like the transmission is slipping. Was told it may be the DPFE sensor but I’m a bit gun shy to mess with it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
DPFE sensor is a 10 minute job. IMO, a large proportion of alleged "transmission issues" sound more like the engine lost power and the transmission tried to compensate.
Sponsored