Bucking like a Bronco?

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
If I get in my Ranger turn the key and start driving it bucks some in the first mile. Not sure if its the transmission or the engine. However, if I remote start it, by the time I get in it it's ready to go. Smooth going! Is this a problem? All the Ford maintenance center (dealers) around me are horrible so I'd rather not have their hands under my hood. Advice please?
Sponsored

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
How many miles on your truck?
I've had this happen just a little when Cold, getting in and driving off without any warm up. I feel the Trans is just too cold and maybe is still learning as I only have 988 miles?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
If I get in my Ranger turn the key and start driving it bucks some in the first mile. Not sure if its the transmission or the engine. However, if I remote start it, by the time I get in it it's ready to go. Smooth going! Is this a problem? All the Ford maintenance center (dealers) around me are horrible so I'd rather not have their hands under my hood. Advice please?
Your profile says you have a 2019, which means this TSB is applicable. It sounds like your problem exactly. You will have to have one of the dealers apply the fix, but the good news is that it just requires a simple programming update.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Going on 6,000 miles on my Ranger. It will do that the first shift or so if I start too soon on a cold day. I've found that if I let is sit and run for a minute or so before moving it pretty much won't do it.

DsDad

First Name
DsDad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SC Oxford White
Get the TSB 20-2339 done, if it is 2019. Mine drives much better now.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I have a 2020 and I am having these same issues. i printed out the TSB (I know it's for a 2019) and handed it to the dealer just to show them that yes, this issue does exist. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning and I should get it back tomorrow morning. I will let you know what they do/say, if they do anything at all that is...

*Update* I got my truck back from the Ford dealer this morning and to my surprise... they actually reprogrammed the PCM! The mechanic referenced TSB 20-2339 in the paperwork. Truck runs fantastic now! I am a happy customer.
Sponsored

Last edited: