Bucking/Surging Epidemic

Doak Steezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Wanted to report back after a little experimenting with my personal issue...

I noticed this issue around the time I started parking in my driveway, on a slight incline (as opposed to the garage, where the truck sits flat overnight). So out of curiosity, I started backing into my driveway (still on an incline but with the front of the truck "pointing down" now) and noticed this issue almost completely went away. I did manage to feel it very slightly this morning, but nowhere near the level I was feeling it up until this point. I'm wondering if it's related to the way the truck sits for extended periods of time, since I park on a flat surface while at work, and it never happens after work either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tim Vogt Sr.

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Sport, 2021 Lariat FX4
Wanted to report back after a little experimenting with my personal issue...

I noticed this issue around the time I started parking in my driveway, on a slight incline (as opposed to the garage, where the truck sits flat overnight). So out of curiosity, I started backing into my driveway (still on an incline but with the front of the truck "pointing down" now) and noticed this issue almost completely went away. I did manage to feel it very slightly this morning, but nowhere near the level I was feeling it up until this point. I'm wondering if it's related to the way the truck sits for extended periods of time, since I park on a flat surface while at work, and it never happens after work either.
Interesting! Mine is at the dealer for nearly 3 weeks or I would try this. My truck is always parked on level ground and often goes several day without being driven. Almost sounds fluid-related. Do you know if your transmission fluid has been checked?

Doak Steezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Interesting! Mine is at the dealer for nearly 3 weeks or I would try this. My truck is always parked on level ground and often goes several day without being driven. Almost sounds fluid-related. Do you know if your transmission fluid has been checked?
It hasn't been checked to my knowledge. That was going to be my next step, or just fluid replacement in general.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Mine does this with the stock tune and the loaded tune from SCT. A Performance tune by Torrie fixed mine.
I’m convinced it’s in the tuning.

Until Ford decides to do something, assuming enough people complain through CS I’ll stick with an aftermarket tune.
Maybe Fords own $500 tune option is their intended fix?? I don’t know it the owners of this tune is having any issues but I suspect they are not and Ford does know how to program, why they can’t get it right on a stock truck is beyond me.

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Mine is doing the same thing. They did the shim tsb which made no difference at all. I had my tires balance and it didn’t help either.

Last edited:

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
It’s because these trucks force the transmission into the highest possible gear! Mine goes into 7th gear and wants to cruise at 1200rpm if I’m driving on side roads at 30mph. Give a little gas and it downshifts into 5th and feels great. If you don’t apply enough throttle it stays in too high of a gear and then I feel it vibrate a little bit bc the rpms are too low. I don’t get bucking or surging but a low boggy vibration type feeling. I’m convinced it’s a programming issue with the 10 speed.

tow mode always keeps me 1 gear lower and I never get any bogging or vibrating or anything.

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has done it since new in Feb 2019. I'm too lazy to get the ecu flashed with the newer versions. I remedy it by remote starting the truck a few minutes before driving. If I don't it seems to go into neutral between gears with light throttle and then slam into the next. I've also had it stick in neutral when I step down hard and it should go down a couple gears, a little scary when you jump out in traffic. Transmission has a lot of strange behavior and not very smooth shifting over all.

*To some of the comments I remember some members saying that changing the coils to aftermarket from summit helped.

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
its not an issue.
its by design.
they sought best fuel economy shift strategies
I understand that but it sure feels like mine has an issues bc I feel it vibrate the truck when the rpms are that low under!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I understand that but it sure feels like mine has an issues bc I feel it vibrate the truck when the rpms are that low under!
If your truck has it, enable tow mode. It'll prevent the transmission from going into too high a gear at lower speeds thus keeping the rev's up just a little bit.

OP
OP
Tim Vogt Sr.

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s because these trucks force the transmission into the highest possible gear! Mine goes into 7th gear and wants to cruise at 1200rpm if I’m driving on side roads at 30mph. Give a little gas and it downshifts into 5th and feels great. If you don’t apply enough throttle it stays in too high of a gear and then I feel it vibrate a little bit bc the rpms are too low. I don’t get bucking or surging but a low boggy vibration type feeling. I’m convinced it’s a programming issue with the 10 speed.

tow mode always keeps me 1 gear lower and I never get any bogging or vibrating or anything.
You do not have the problem I have. I can downshift to raise rpms and still get the bucking if I try to maintain speed on a level road. I am now feeling the problem on the interstate at 70 MPH when I crest a hill and the truck momentarily coasts.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You do not have the problem I have. I can downshift to raise rpms and still get the bucking if I try to maintain speed on a level road. I am now feeling the problem on the interstate at 70 MPH when I crest a hill and the truck momentarily coasts.
Time to leave it with the dealer.

Early on I always thought, and yours might be, it was fuel injector or spark related. I have read stories about faulty injectors in the early models but now at 27k miles I feel sure “my issues” are tranny programming.

Damn shame, we are having these problems when both the engine and transmission has been around for a while. Really discourages me from buying another Ford.

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
My issue didn’t start until about 33k miles. Totally stock also

OP
OP
Tim Vogt Sr.

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fixed! Just got back from the dealership after being asked to come in and test drive my Ranger. Smooth! Problem was multiple cylinder miss-fires that were not throwing codes but showed up for the tech. The culprit part temporarily swapped from another truck to try is called a Differential Pressure Feedback Valve which had moisture in it.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Fixed! Just got back from the dealership after being asked to come in and test drive my Ranger. Smooth! Problem was multiple cylinder miss-fires that were not throwing codes but showed up for the tech. The culprit part temporarily swapped from another truck to try is called a Differential Pressure Feedback Valve which had moisture in it.
Hmmm, I wonder if that’s the reason mine sometimes runs like crap on rainy cold days?

+1 Kudos to your dealer, that took a little initiative to solve.

Deleted member 1634

I'll have to remember this and bring it up when I bring my truck in for an oil change on Friday. Mine has been doing this for quite a few months. And like you, it's been getting worse over time. Hopefully mine doesn't sit with them for weeks or anything.
Sponsored