Broken wheel studs

LouCee

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab
I brought my 2019 Ranger into the dealer this morning for it's first service. They managed to break all 6 wheel studs on the left rear. They are claiming defective wheel studs, I don't buy it but I'm not sure what to think, I imagine it's possible. Anyone have this experience or heard of it? I did do a search and didn't find anything.
They gave me a 2020 Ranger for a loaner so at least I get to "test drive" that. :)
Sponsored

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Wow. If it was truly defective studs I think an emergency recall is in order. My first instinct would be operator error. (The mechanic and his impact wrench)

OP
OP
LouCee

LouCee

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first instinct would be operator error. (The mechanic and his impact wrench)
That was my thought also, I think they are going with a not our fault explanation.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I brought my 2019 Ranger into the dealer this morning for it's first service. They managed to break all 6 wheel studs on the left rear. They are claiming defective wheel studs, I don't buy it but I'm not sure what to think, I imagine it's possible. Anyone have this experience or heard of it? I did do a search and didn't find anything.
They gave me a 2020 Ranger for a loaner so at least I get to "test drive" that. :)
An obvious user error by the mechanic hanging on the impact wrench. The very least they could do is be honest with you.

I also live in Colorado. Who was the dealer?

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
better check your wheels too, after probably setting the torque to 600ft lbs on his impact, it will dish the wheel lug seats. plus, why didn't he stop after at least the 2nd one?
I'm thinking they gave it to a trainee kid and he just let the wrench ride. not just a few kicks. lol. check your wheel lug seats for deformation.

Tim G.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Occupational Health and Safety
it makes sense being that i had one broken wheel stud on my ranger and they said the studs are on back order and dont know when theyll be in stock . . .

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
It's AutoNation Ford in the Denver area.
Good to know. I was told to avoid them at all costs from a trusted source.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Didn't pay close attention the first time I read this, but this is the same wheel I have a leaking axle seal on. Don't know if that's a coincidence...

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
OP
OP
LouCee

LouCee

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive had a dodge ram as a rental that shed numerous nuts and studs from driving an oilfield service road.
All 6 on one sounds rare and could be attributed to more reasons than one mechanic. Dont hang him out to dry so fast.
I want to give him/the dealer the benefit of the doubt but I'm having a hard time believing that there just happened to be six defective studs all on the same wheel. My Ranger only has 3,124 miles and even though it's an FX4 it hasn't been off road. I guess that could be an argument for them being defective. I'm still not sure what to think.

Thanks to all for your input.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chad,

All six wheel studs need to be analyzed by a field service engineer. I have seen this condition many times. It is not likely the wheel studs but another mechanism. First, do you have OEM or aftermarket wheels? If OEM, were the wheels removed for any reason. What usually happens is that one or two lug nuts were not tightened...probably next to each other. So you have asymmetrical loading on the 4 remaining wheel studs and one or two of these fracture which results in the remainng two or three failing almost instantly. To the eye, all six failed. A field analysis will show if all the studs demonstrate a Cap and Cone...then it is over torquing. If it is a combination of cap and Cone and irregular fracture on others, indicating shear, then it was not all the lug nuts being tight. You will also see evidence on the wheel as the lug nuts that were not tight will have lug nut seats that are wallowed out but the others will appear mildly damage or no damage. The holes where the lug nuts snapped off instantaneous will show little seat wallowing but the bore will be very scared.

Clearly something is wrong here but to blame the tech is not first line of analysis...the wheel and the studs are first to be analyzed.

One thing that you NEVER do with a failed part is to fit them back together. I know...human nature, but for detailed analysis, you have damaged the fracture surfaces and make analysis difficult if not impossible.

So again....do you have aftermarket wheels or is it OEM wheels....this is a key first step for diagnosis. If you can get pictures of the wheel flange in clarity and post here, it might help me help more than this mere speculation.

Managing Ford Off Road racing, I saw this phenomena and in most cases I was able to diagnose on the spot. I would say about 90% of the time it was loose lug nuts due to a hurried pit stop and missing a lug or two by being distracted from the job. When in the pits and a Ford team had a pending pit stop, I used to go up to the crew chief and tell him to give me the torque wrench so he could concentrate on the vehicle and driver and co driver. I would use my fist and thump the tire. I nice hollow sound meant a aired up tire. A dull thud....a pending flat. Then I torques the wheels not paying attention to all the scrambling by the team to fuel the vehicle, get the driver and codriver water or what ever. I occasional found a loose lug nut and told the crew chief to watch that wheel on the next pit stop which on long races the crew chief did by radio. I always did what I could including being under the vehicle with a crew member changing the transmission. For me it was a fun time and I taught my engineers that were out with me to plunge into helping as much as they could. Even my Secretary would take care of the driver or co driver, freeing up the crew for other matters. Fun times for us Ford Engineers and it made for better engineers to gain experience like this in the heat of the battle.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired