Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had posted about having a grinding feeling in the rear brakes, and having planned on changing the pads, as they were on the thin side. Well, I was really damn surprised with what I found.

But let me start by saying my truck only has 19,261 miles on it, and the grinding symptom didn't show up until very recently. On top of that, the truck isn't driven much to begin with, and I only took it on a test drive after the grinding symptoms started, after I blasted out the brakes with a pressure washer. I had feared I had a rock or dirt in rear brakes after having been out four wheeling and just gave it a good clean with the pressure washer at first and then a quick test drive. It didn't help and you're about to see why.

Yesterday I drove over to a friend's house and we did a brake job on the truck that almost turned into a terrible nightmare. The problems started when I started taking wheels off and of course the crappy Ford two-piece lug nut problem reared its ugly head. But after we got the offending lug nut off, we started on the passenger rear first, and it went well. The inboard rear passenger brake pad was just at the wear bar. When I took the driver rear apart, that's when I got a surprise!

Inside brake pad, rear driver side.
2021-08-28 10.30.42.jpg

Rear driver side rotor.
2021-08-28 10.58.16.jpg

Rear driver side outside pad.
2021-08-28 11.02.30.jpg

As you can see, the brake pad (inside) and rotor are absolutely trashed. This seems to have happened very quickly in a small amount of miles. To make the situation even better, the rotor was far to gone for turning and no one has rotors in stock in a store. If I wanted rotors, it was looking like I was going to have to wait for them to be shipped! I went to the local Ford dealer, and he looked up the rear rotors in his system, and told me not only were they not in stock in any of the warehouse he could order them from, they were not even available for order anywhere to him. Basically, the Motorcraft rotors was unattainable. He did call a competing dealership and found they had two on their shelf in stock, so we managed to get out there just in time before they closed and snagged them. The parts guy at that dealership told me I was lucky as they were probably the only rear Ranger rotors in the whole Southeast!

But, we were able to get the rears done with new rotors. We took apart the slide pins and greased them up really well, and even took apart the first side we had done to replace the rotor over there so both sides would have new Motorcraft rotors and pads.

2021-08-28 15.14.29.jpg

We did the front brakes last, and as you can see in the photo below, there were TONS of brake pad life left on the fronts. I could probably get another 10,000 miles out of the front pads (but we changed them anyways) which fits in with the mileage of my truck. To me the big mystery is; how did the rear pads get so hasged, so quickly? And how come it went from sounding fine to absolutely grinding on the pad's backer so fast!?

Old front brake pads.
2021-08-29 09.47.42.jpg

2021-08-28 15.50.09.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was that caliper moving freely? Seems like it was siezed if only the inner pad was being worn like that.
I'm thinking it either was siezed up or...

...my wife drove the truck 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if she left the parking brake on while she was out running errands????

i'm not going to ask her, Haahahaha!

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
John
How worn was the "good" rear? In the past I would typically get at least 2x miles out of the rear breaks compared to the front. Is that the "benefits" of traction control.
Only time I have ever changed pads under ~30k miles was on my 90 something 2 dr Tahoe or was still a Blazer!? Anyway I bought it with 10-11k miles around 14k I heard some grinding. Didn't even think it could be pad wear at 14k miles! So took it to the dealer thinking it was a problem that would be covered under warranty. NOT, only time I have ever had someone else do my breaks. After looking online discovered that was common with that era GM trucks.
Hopefully this isn't going to turn into a trend for our Rangers

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

...my wife drove the truck 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if she left the parking brake on while she was out running errands????

John
How worn was the "good" rear? In the past I would typically get at least 2x miles out of the rear breaks compared to the front. Is that the "benefits" of traction control.
Only time I have ever changed pads under ~30k miles was on my 90 something 2 dr Tahoe or was still a Blazer!? Anyway I bought it with 10-11k miles around 14k I heard some grinding. Didn't even think it could be pad wear at 14k miles! So took it to the dealer thinking it was a problem that would be covered under warranty. NOT, only time I have ever had someone else do my breaks. After looking online discovered that was common with that era GM trucks.
Hopefully this isn't going to turn into a trend for our Rangers
Seems that is only likely to happen if we let John’s wife borrow our trucks. ?

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Did you happen to check the lube on the caliper sliders? Just to be sure they do slide or... not slide easily.

Look how hot that pad and rotor got, it like every color of the rainbow.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'm thinking the premature wear could be from traction control and/or AdvanceTrak.

My FiST wore out the factory rears extremely fast. It was the first vehicle with the more advanced stability control that I daily drove. My wife's CX-5 has all that stuff but she drives about 6k miles a year, and not at all aggressive.

Back when I was autoXing we would avoid the parking brake in the paddock to keep from warping rotors by holding the hot pad on the rotor. With the additional rear brake engagements from the nannies we have, I wonder if parking brake use could be an additional factor.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Wow... I'm glad you were able to find rotors! T

his has me thinking I need to check my pads. I've noticed just recently that I'm getting a very low speed shudder or grabbing sensation when coming to a stop. It occurs at less than 5 MPH. I will be changing the oil and doing a tire rotation in 500 miles, so I will do it then. I only have 18,500 miles on the truck.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Doesn't the truck throw a warning when you try to drive with the parking brake on? I could have sworn I recall my Ranger yelling at me one time when I accidentally forgot to take the parking brake off. But my memory isn't so great these days. Also probably why I forgot to take the parking brake off. :)

Edit: And also probably why I originally posted "break" 3 times instead of "brake". :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking the premature wear could be from traction control and/or AdvanceTrak.

My FiST wore out the factory rears extremely fast. It was the first vehicle with the more advanced stability control that I daily drove. My wife's CX-5 has all that stuff but she drives about 6k miles a year, and not at all aggressive.

Back when I was autoXing we would avoid the parking brake in the paddock to keep from warping rotors by holding the hot pad on the rotor. With the additional rear brake engagements from the nannies we have, I wonder if parking brake use could be an additional factor.
I hate it because I've got a hot rodded Mustang and I don't like leaving the parking brake on after hard runs in the car. But my driveway is steap and that's where the truck gets parked...

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just a guess here. Are these bonded pads? Maybe the bonding failed and pad material fell out and you went right to metal on metal.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I hate it because I've got a hot rodded Mustang and I don't like leaving the parking brake on after hard runs in the car. But my driveway is steap and that's where the truck gets parked...
I get it. My garage is level but the driveway is steep enough that I don't like the sound of the pawl without the parking brake on. I just make sure to park on the street if I don't want to pull all the way into the garage, but I realize that isn't always an option.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a guess here. Are these bonded pads? Maybe the bonding failed and pad material fell out and you went right to metal on metal.
That was also something I was wondering about.