First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
I’m super stoked for this. How deep do you have to drill into the a pillar for the rivnuts?
Sponsored

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Not to be a Debby downer, but most people that hit water with the 2.3 ranger fry out their alternator. It's pretty well known. So why have a snorkel if you can't even get the Alternator wet? ?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Not to be a Debby downer, but most people that hit water with the 2.3 ranger fry out their alternator. It's pretty well known. So why have a snorkel if you can't even get the Alternator wet? ?
Snorkels aren't only for water. They also help keep dust out of the intake, especially in a convoy type drive. Colorado is wicked dry and dusty, so it would still be useful here.

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Snorkels aren't only for water. They also help keep dust out of the intake, especially in a convoy type drive. Colorado is wicked dry and dusty, so it would still be useful here.
Yeah I had one on my 16' Frontier. But they show pics of it on the Ranger hitting water holes! Lol. Winter time sucks with them though. I bought a cyclonic head for mine. But still wound up putting a cover over it when it sat. Because snow always got into everywhere. ?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
The alternator on these trucks really isn't as low as a lot of people act like on here, plus, it can handle some splashes, just not constant submersion in like 32"+ deep mud.

Also, besides the dust/fresh air thing explained above, a snorkel can save your engine from a quick submersion or a misjudged water crossing.
I've splashed water over the hood of my ranger just from entering a moderately deep crossing a bit too quickly, and I immediately thought about the air intake sitting right in the grill opening....

Having a snorkel doesn't mean you have to regularly do deep water fordings, it's good just as extra protection when you do get a bit deeper than intended.

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
The alternator on these trucks really isn't as low as a lot of people act like on here, plus, it can handle some splashes, just not constant submersion in like 32"+ deep water
Also, besides the dust/fresh air thing explained above, a snorkel can save your engine from a quick submersion or a misjudged water crossing.
I've splashed water over the hood of my ranger just from entering a moderately deep crossing a bit too quickly, and I immediately thought about the air intake sitting right in the grill opening....

Having a snorkel doesn't mean you have to regularly do deep water fordings, it's good just as extra protection when you do get a bit deeper than intended.
Really? I've seen quite a few people post on fb their nator died barely even going through any water. So it's obviously a issue. Unless the 2021+ have a different alternator. Obviously it will vary by truck because some people's are lifted higher than others either way.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Really? I've seen quite a few people post on fb their nator died barely even going through any water. So it's obviously a issue. Unless the 2021+ have a different alternator. Obviously it will vary by truck because some people's are lifted higher than others either way.
I mean, I've gone through countless water crossings with my truck and have never had any issues. I've seen water up to about the door sills, but not above that. my truck is lifted ~2" with 32" tires.
I also decided to measure the height of the alternator pretty recently when I was under the hood, and it sits at about the same level as the top of the tire, which is about 32" on my truck, so I'm not really sure how a small amount of water could really affect it.

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Will there be a way to get the snorkel without the giant logo on the side of it?
I’m a plain T-shirt kinda guy no offense to the brand or anything just feel it would look clean without. Maybe offer a plain version that's rhino lined with no logo??

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ok the jig is up. I want a this snorkel just so I can pipe a nirtrous bottle purge to it. Then every time I pull up next to Tacoma owners I can sneeze on them.

I don't want to actually use the nitrous, I just want to psst pssst other cars.

FewDimAcornbarnacle-size_restricted.gif

33cE.gif

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
The alternator on these trucks really isn't as low as a lot of people act like on here, plus, it can handle some splashes, just not constant submersion in like 32"+ deep mud.

I totally agree on the use of the snorkel helping with more than water.
It’s definitely helpful to grab some of that fresher air up above the dust from vehicles in convoy.
In Southern California I did some trails after rain which included doing light water crossings. I have noticed water in the bottom of my airbox also dirt stains from where muddy water entered. Not enough water to be concerned about danger to the engine, but I feel a snorkel would definitely be helpful, even if you’re not wading above the alternator. I feel water can still find its way into the air box from a pretty big splash entering a crossing ect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I’m super stoked for this. How deep do you have to drill into the a pillar for the rivnuts?
That A-pillar is hollow, so not far at all :D We also made sure to run a probe through there too to avoid any potential interference with the curtain airbags

-Nick

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
That A-pillar is hollow, so not far at all :D We also made sure to run a probe through there too to avoid any potential interference with the curtain airbags

-Nick
Awesome, doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult of an install

Status
Not open for further replies.