First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
@Mishimoto you guys should make an option for a "ram air" style scoop that could connect to the engine bay duct. Basically keep the green portion of the cad model, and replace the orange snorkel section with a scoop just on the fender. It would be a nice option for the street truck guys that want the extra air inlet without the off-road styling of a full on snorkel.
That would be the benefit of the velocitec(or however it is spelled) intake. It simply creates a forced air intake without any cutting or major modifications!! If I wasnt an OffRoader inwould go that route but water crossings pose a problem
Sponsored

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Hey Guys!

Sorry for leaving you hanging on the next update! For those who follow our blog, you might have already caught wind of our design plans, but for those who don't, here it is!

Snorkel-assembly.jpg

To find out more about the design, and everything that we're cooking up for our Ranger Snorkel, make sure that you head over to our Engineering Blog to read up!

As always, feel free to shoot over any questions that you might have!

-Nick
Hey Nick, don't take this the wrong way, but that's a nice looking unit ya got there! lol

I love me some snorkel on an off-roader.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Occupation
ME
@Frenchy The thing about the Velossa is that it's not increasing the inlet area of the airbox. The box itself still draws air through a small hole. Not saying it wouldn't help, but you cant legally drive at speeds that would create a true ram air effect. The snokel inner duct would be more than doubling the airbox inlet area, and really let the turbo breathe. I just referred to "ram air" to help conceptualize a scoop vs the snorkel, but the intake tract never be pressurized with the turbo impeller gulping air

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
@Frenchy The thing about the Velossa is that it's not increasing the inlet area of the airbox. The box itself still draws air through a small hole. Not saying it wouldn't help, but you cant legally drive at speeds that would create a true ram air effect. The snokel inner duct would be more than doubling the airbox inlet area, and really let the turbo breathe. I just referred to "ram air" to help conceptualize a scoop vs the snorkel, but the intake tract never be pressurized with the turbo impeller gulping air
If you are keeping the stock airbox or going with an a f e or something like that then I can understand what you're talking about. If you're one who's considering getting the mishimoto intake already then it would actually be beneficial to have the velocitek because you already have a bigger opening on the box. What you're saying isn't wrong. Just understanding that what you're looking for might not happen

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
Nick,
Are you designing your intake to work with the stock air box or will it work with other boxes?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hey Guys!

Sorry for the delayed response to this thread! I just wanted to bump this up and let y'all know that we're still putting the time in with this snorkel! We still have some time until our discounted presale, but in the meantime, we had to make sure that this kit was ready for the rugged outdoors:

5N2A4452-scaled.jpg

79A3049-scaled.jpg

Plenty more to come!

-Nick

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
@Mishimoto you guys should make an option for a "ram air" style scoop that could connect to the engine bay duct. Basically keep the green portion of the cad model, and replace the orange snorkel section with a scoop just on the fender. It would be a nice option for the street truck guys that want the extra air inlet without the off-road styling of a full on snorkel.
NOt a bad idea! That's definitely something that we can look into!

Nick,
Are you designing your intake to work with the stock air box or will it work with other boxes?
Yessir! We'll be providing a template and instructions that work with the stock and our intake design. Also long as you have a flat spot large enough on the side of the air box, the snorkel should fit!

Hey Nick, don't take this the wrong way, but that's a nice looking unit ya got there! lol

I love me some snorkel on an off-roader.
giphy.gif

Much appreciated!

-Nick

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Hey Guys!

Sorry for the delayed response to this thread! I just wanted to bump this up and let y'all know that we're still putting the time in with this snorkel! We still have some time until our discounted presale, but in the meantime, we had to make sure that this kit was ready for the rugged outdoors:

Plenty more to come!

-Nick

Awesome, thanks for the update! I've been very curious about this, and looking forward to getting one! (Or, if you need any more test subjects I'd be happy to do that :blush:)

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
Yessir! We'll be providing a template and instructions that work with the stock and our intake design. Also long as you have a flat spot large enough on the side of the air box, the snorkel should fit!

-Nick
Nice! Glad to hear it’ll work with the stock box AND your air box. Might be the best excuse to get a new intake! Any ideas when the pre-orders will start? I’ll snag one up.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Awesome, thanks for the update! I've been very curious about this, and looking forward to getting one! (Or, if you need any more test subjects I'd be happy to do that :blush:)
We're really looking forward to getting these out on the trails!

I'll definitely keep you in mind and let you know if we do need to do any more third-party testing!

Nice! Glad to hear it’ll work with the stock box AND your air box. Might be the best excuse to get a new intake! Any ideas when the pre-orders will start? I’ll snag one up.
It's definitely a great combo, just sayin' ;)

As for our presale launch - I JUST checked the timeline, and unfortunately, we did have to move the date back a bit due to some production delays. We're aiming for a mid-to-late fall presale kickoff now. (@103 - just wanted to ping you since you were hoping to have one installed before your offroading event)

I'll keep you guys posted on any other changes that may occur!

Thanks!
-Nick

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Finally a snorkel like the T5's utilizing the fender grille! VERY interested, if ya need a tester in Socal lmk! Definitely seems more like Offroad bling due to Ford failing the Ranger community on US spec alternator placement. If you guys found a way to relocate the alternator this might really take off. Also do you have an idea of price range?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
When will the next video and blog post about the snorkel R&D be out? I would like to see the results of the dyno testing performed in last video. Thanks!
We'll have more info coming your way at the beginning of next month, with our testing results launching around the time of the presale!

Finally a snorkel like the T5's utilizing the fender grille! VERY interested, if ya need a tester in Socal lmk! Definitely seems more like Offroad bling due to Ford failing the Ranger community on US spec alternator placement. If you guys found a way to relocate the alternator this might really take off. Also do you have an idea of price range?
It seemed like a no-brainer to use these fender vents! Pricing info will release closer to our presale!

-Nick

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
How is the mounting for support at the top of the snorkel? Will the A-pillar exterior need to be drilled for a mount?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
How is the mounting for support at the top of the snorkel? Will the A-pillar exterior need to be drilled for a mount?

Great question!

You will need to drill mounting holes for the support bracket, and we'll provide hardware to give you the option of using rivnuts or rivets to secure the bracket to the A-pillar

-Nick
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.