jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that part mounts inside the door jamb too though, so definitely not as bad as drilling into the outside of the pillar.
Very true thou

I did find a company that makes one where the bolt mounts to a roof mount for where a roof rack goes but it’s been out of stock for awhile…
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
@Mishimoto , now that the snorkel kits are shipping, is anyone there lying awake at night thinking of how to tackle the splash resistant alternator?

Inquiring minds want to know. :like:

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
@Mishimoto , now that the snorkel kits are shipping, is anyone there lying awake at night thinking of how to tackle the splash resistant alternator?

I don't think this is as big an issue as people make it out to be. Mud caked on the alternator is what is causing the alternators to fail, from all the posts I have read. Water isn't the real issue. Mine has been submerged many times and still works.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

mud will be your main issue.. water might cause it to fail earlier but its not going to just lock up when it touches water... my tacoma has been through water over its hood and its on the original alternator without issues so i wouldnt worry about the alternator tbh.

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger FX4, 17 Subaru BRZ Yellow, 11 Evora
Occupation
Manager

I have not looked at the alternator design but if I needed to I would take alternator apart and add more insulation/hydrophobic coating to everything.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I don't think this is as big an issue as people make it out to be. Mud caked on the alternator is what is causing the alternators to fail, from all the posts I have read. Water isn't the real issue. Mine has been submerged many times and still works.
mud will be your main issue.. water might cause it to fail earlier but its not going to just lock up when it touches water... my tacoma has been through water over its hood and its on the original alternator without issues so i wouldnt worry about the alternator tbh.
It really depends on your area.

In GA, if you exit the asphalt you will encounter mud.

Mud infused with good old GA red clay.

And the forestry service roads will be littered with stagnant mudholes after a rain.

Clear flowing water is not that much of an issue.

Deep mudholes full of red clay are indeed a concern and several of the Rangers in the area have already toasted an alternator.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It really depends on your area.

In GA, if you exit the asphalt you will encounter mud.

Mud infused with good old GA red clay.

And the forestry service roads will be littered with stagnant mudholes after a rain.

Clear flowing water is not that much of an issue.

Deep mudholes full of red clay are indeed a concern and several of the Rangers in the area have already toasted an alternator.
Clay would for sure be an issue I’ve dealt with it in the past and it’s not fun

Status
Not open for further replies.