Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to follow up here to make sure that everyone that ordered our kit on presale received their airbox plug. If you haven't received one yet, don't hesitate to reach out and we'll get that sorted out for you!

Also, as a reminder, all new snorkel kits will have the stock airbox plug included! For those using our performance intake, we have a plug in the works for that as well

When you plug the intake and get the pre-filter there is so much turbo intake noise. I love it!
We'd love to hear it if you get any sound clips :D

-Nick
Sponsored

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
got the plug and installed immediately. Thanks for sending it out quickly. love the way it looks and sounds, even without the prefilter you can hear the turbo winding up.

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
got the plug and installed immediately. Thanks for sending it out quickly. love the way it looks and sounds, even without the prefilter you can hear the turbo winding up.
Can you take a video? I miss hearing turbo noises

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt the recording would differentiate the turbo noise from other noises well but will see if I can get something.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
@Mishimoto just curious.. if one wanted to purchase just the plumping, but not the snorkel, any chance of that happening? I've been toying with testing the idea of converting the factory fender vent into an actual intake point.

This would save me a lot of time on redneck engineering a bunch of pipe myself.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
@Mishimoto just curious.. if one wanted to purchase just the plumping, but not the snorkel, any chance of that happening? I've been toying with testing the idea of converting the factory fender vent into an actual intake point.

This would save me a lot of time on redneck engineering a bunch of pipe myself.
If you install these (https://www.americantrucks.com/air-...SB4teVygtJDd0ZKR-YgaAisyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

and then create a fender airbox feed like this (https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fender-air-box-feed.11074/#post-212824)

then you accomplish the same thing and have access to more fresh air than the Mishimoto pipe in the inner fender since the inner fender can pull air from the opening at the front of the fender liner as well as via the Air Designs fender vent. Has worked well for me ?

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I did the install over the weekend, overall I'm pleased! Considering the price and being an imported kit the fit and finish is good, quality of the parts is good too.

The difficulty of the install isn't too hard if you are mechanically inclined (Don't be scared go for it!). Just a heads up if you plan to rivet the mounting plate to the fender take EXTRA caution with the pop rivet gun (scratched my fender :headbang: ) but luckily the snorkel hides it and my truck already has some marks here and there from different trails/outings (I mean without battle scars do you really offroad? :giggle:) This kit is well thought out and gives you everything you need to make the proper cuts. You'll need some basic hand tools, a 4" hole-saw bit, cordless power drill, and a mill file to clean up the cuts. The snorkel mimics the T5 Diesel look very well, Thanks Mishimoto.

Pros:
Looks great (Style points)
Fun noises from the intake epically under boost (Recirc valve sounds nice and the turbo spool)
MPGs shot up a bit (no rubber airbox plug installed/dual intakes)
Elevated intake level

Cons:
Whistling noise at highway speed (turn your radio up a tad)
Rivets for fender mounting plate wouldn't get tight enough, so I ended up using small low profile SS button head Allen bolts with lock nuts to secure mounting plate.

BorneSnorkel.jpg

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
^Update

I was able to fix the heavy whistling noise.

The intake head has some weird cuts in it that go way higher than necessary where the band clamp attaches it to the downtube on the outside of the truck.

To fix the noise just insulate those holes and the noise is gone. I used some black vinyl tape, im sure some light silicone would work too.

Whistlinggap.PNG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
^Update

The intake head has some weird cuts in it that go way higher than necessary where the band clamp attaches it to the downtube on the outside of the truck.

To fix the noise just insulate those holes and the noise is gone. I used some black vinyl tape, im sure some light silicone would work too.

Whistlinggap.PNG
Those weird cuts are rain drains. Blocking them may lead to water in the air box. Depending on which air box you are using, it may or may not be a concern.

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
Got my pre-filter today. If you plan to get one becareful with the rivets.....

20220406_154746.jpg
Does the pre filter get pretty close to the roof line?
how much clearance is there?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
^Update

Whistlinggap.PNG
Good to know. Whistling would drive me nuts. This is in my garage, waiting to be installed. Have you tried rotating the cap a little one way or the other to see if that affects whistling?

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Those weird cuts are rain drains. Blocking them may lead to water in the air box. Depending on which air box you are using, it may or may not be a concern.
Thank you, good to know that's what their for! Luckily there's never rain in my area but 3x a year.
I am going to experiment with just blocking the front one with tape later and see if the whistling goes away if so I'll run it with 1 of the 4 openings blocked, the whistling is annoying!

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Good to know. Whistling would drive me nuts. This is in my garage, waiting to be installed. Have you tried rotating the cap a little one way or the other to see if that affects whistling?
The Whistling is from these "Rain drains" a member just mentioned rotating the head wont change it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.