Best tune for increased throttle response and better shifting

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I just got the livernois tune. I was considering ford performance one but I would be stuck with 93 octane and only one tune. So I tried the performance tune and it's powerful, I love it. However I noticed it shifts kind of hard. So today I switched to the soft shift tune that was recommended by Dave on here and it's a lot smoother and doesn't feel it's going to kill your power train. I still have to break it in though to get the transmission to relearn everything. But so far so good. I get great acceleration without struggle anddoesn't feel overpowered. I already got the tune and then I came this across video and it does look good as an alternative.

So Livernois is the one with the soft Transmission Tunes? Have you tried the tow tunes yet?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
You do have to run 92 octane with the FP tune. You can run the tune in Drive with or without Tow Mode and in Sport mode. Here is some explanation with the tune...
DRIVE - Improved throttle response, torque and improved shift points. Shift points are still geared for economy so it hunts gears alot.
DRIVE W/TOW MODE ON - Slightly adjusted throttle response, shift points hold gears longer and doesn't try to "up shift" as often. Nice for daily driving in traffic with a lot of curvy roads and hilly areas. (My choice 80% of the time)
SPORT MODE - Smiles, Grins and Giggles. Performance throttle and shift points. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Hope this helps
How much of a hit on MGP do you feel with the FP Tune in Tow mode. Also don't like that it needs 91/93 all the time. Out in the sticks sometimes all you can get is 87...

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
So Livernois is the one with the soft Transmission Tunes? Have you tried the tow tunes yet?
Yeah, the soft shift tune is pretty good. Don't feel any hesitation when getting from 50 to 60. I haven’t tried the tow tune yet but I'm planning to give it a try in the future.

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Livernois soft shift tune is *chef's kiss*. It just glides through the gears and pulls and you'll be doing 70 before you know it. It basically restored my gas mileage to what it was prior to adding the 33" KO2 tires and is great to drive. I've had it over a year and still haven't even used the performance tune yet.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
With the Livernois, or any tuner for that matter, do you have to leave it plugged in? I am not sure I want to have something else above the dash.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
With the Livernois, or any tuner for that matter, do you have to leave it plugged in? I am not sure I want to have something else above the dash.
Nope. I leave mine in the glove box in case something ever happens and I need to flash it back to stock.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Try this get a tune sticker any company and put it on your dash. Then turn the key to on roll the windows down and then up all at the same time. Push the start stop button. Your truck will now be smoother and go faster. Just keep telling your self that all the way down the road. Then tell everyone that you have a tune for a least a week. After a week set your tire pressure two lbs more than what you have been running. You should notice a difference, if not repeat till you do.

If this program still doesnt work for you then buy a damper. You were ment to go slow, accept it.

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
How much of a hit on MGP do you feel with the FP Tune in Tow mode. Also don't like that it needs 91/93 all the time. Out in the sticks sometimes all you can get is 87...
I had the FP Tune installed new so I don't have a comparison to factory, but I actually think I am getting a little better mileage in Tow Mode than Non-Tow. I'm not one who checks computer against real fill ups. Computer has me at 18-19 and I do mostly city driving with a heavy foot, so Im OK with that. Its about what I got on my last vehicle. IMO any truck that is getting 18-20 city is doing pretty good. Its more important to me that I enjoy driving it and that Im not getting 9mpg like I did with my old F250SD V-10 :)

Any tune you get that is performance based is going to require 91/93 octane.
Sponsored