First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I'm gonna bump this because I have another question.

I bought a small bottle jack and am awaiting delivery now. I know some of you have small pieces of wood that you use for a stabilizer, but I don't have any handy at my home (in fact, I'm just not all that handy either). What would you use as an alternative (that could be bought on Amazon or Home Depot or something like that?
RV leveling pad, perhaps?
1/4" steel plate maybe? Thinner? Thicker?

I'm looking for something reasonably thin and portable that won't get trashed the first time I use it. In fact, I want to get two of something like that as I'm looking to replace the jack in Jeanie's Honda CRV as well.

Thanks in advance for your insights and wisdom.
Any quality rv stabilizer pad will give you what you need. There's a 2 pack on Amazon that runs about $18.00. That is in fact what I carry for the bottle jack I carry in the Ranger, and use the same jack on our travel trailer. They'll last forever. Using a set of the same type "leggo" blocks for leveling the rv...have lasted thru 3 rv's, including a 7 ton class c with dual rear's...never crushed one yet.
Sponsored

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Hi!

So what type of Jack is everyone running? I am looking to get a portable jack, not a floor jack. I have a Bottle Jack with me at all times but after leveling the truck I need to use blocks underneath it for it to actually lift a tire off the ground. I'd like to leave it in the truck at all times so that it's always with me. I have sliders that I can Jack from so I have that option too.

I am considering the following:
I really like the ARB but $800+!!! WTH?
Hi Lift Jacks worry me a bit. Don't want to damage myself or the vehicle. Jack plus mount runs about $200ish.
Bottle Jacks are..... well, just bottle jacks. Safe Jack is pricey but not as much as ARB. $300ish

Anyone have experience with these? Any recommendations? Anything else that I should be considering?
Hi!

So what type of Jack is everyone running? I am looking to get a portable jack, not a floor jack. I have a Bottle Jack with me at all times but after leveling the truck I need to use blocks underneath it for it to actually lift a tire off the ground. I'd like to leave it in the truck at all times so that it's always with me. I have sliders that I can Jack from so I have that option too.

I am considering the following:
I really like the ARB but $800+!!! WTH?
Hi Lift Jacks worry me a bit. Don't want to damage myself or the vehicle. Jack plus mount runs about $200ish.
Bottle Jacks are..... well, just bottle jacks. Safe Jack is pricey but not as much as ARB. $300ish

Anyone have experience with these? Any recommendations? Anything else that I should be considering?
someone beat me the better Jack

Jack.jpg.jpg

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer

I bought a small bottle jack and am awaiting delivery now. I know some of you have small pieces of wood that you use for a stabilizer, but I don't have any handy at my home (in fact, I'm just not all that handy either). What would you use as an alternative (that could be bought on Amazon or Home Depot or something like that?

I'm looking for something reasonably thin and portable that won't get trashed the first time I use it. In fact, I want to get two of something like that as I'm looking to replace the jack in Jeanie's Honda CRV as well.

A small 6 or 8 ton bottle jack is the correct choice for both general use and off-roading. Just grab a base like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Sparta...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Blocks of wood (4x4, 2x4) and bottle jack and the factory jack is a back up. The hi lift jack only works as a winch or if you are desperate enough to damage the bumper. I have a hi lift jack but dont want to carry that heavy thing around. Dont forget a 4 way and a small rug.

I worked for a fleet and many times people would have a flat, change it and drive off without the flat tire and the jack. :curse:
HI lift can work if you do it off the tow hitch or the recovery hooks but it is less than ideal honestly I am in the same boat just small wood block and the jack not only can they raise it up they also reduce ground pressure and can be used to chock your wheels also if you have traction boards a lot of companies make them with a little jack plate now too

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Any quality rv stabilizer pad will give you what you need. There's a 2 pack on Amazon that runs about $18.00. That is in fact what I carry for the bottle jack I carry in the Ranger, and use the same jack on our travel trailer. They'll last forever. Using a set of the same type "leggo" blocks for leveling the rv...have lasted thru 3 rv's, including a 7 ton class c with dual rear's...never crushed one yet.
Thanks.
That's the kind of thing I was wondering about and had also looked at on Amazon.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Honestly you could just buy wood from home depot and they can just cut it down to side they can also be used as chocks

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Honestly you could just buy wood from home depot and they can just cut it down to side they can also be used as chocks
I did not know they'd do that just for a block.
I suppose I'd still be paying for the whole board, wouldn't I?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Yeah, but the plastic/polymer pads are lighter, and don't rot if they get wet, and if they get muddy you can hose em off.
And...no splinters !!!

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but the plastic/polymer pads are lighter, and don't rot if they get wet, and if they get muddy you can hose em off.
And...no splinters !!!
Very true lots of traction boards have jack slots too which is nice

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.

I carry these, both because I use them on my RV and they make perfect Jack pads, and you can stack them to the height you need. I have a set of 10 larger ones in the RV.
https://www.amazon.com/Stabilizer-J...9546333&sprefix=Stackable+RV+,aps,151&sr=8-12

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i typically dont cheap out on stuff that is important but ive had really good luck with china fright (harbor freight) jacks. several mechanic shops in my area use them daily. So i got a hefty bottle jack from hf and keep a board and trax for height if i need more. my trucks not really that tall. anything is better than the factory scissor jacks. I hate those so damn much. i do have the one that came with the 5g in the truck. i tell myself its a back up but in reality id almost prefer to trash the rim and tire than use it...

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
RV leveling blocks have worked out great. Except for the ones that I've cracked. They were the Camco ones from Amazon. They don't have enough of a stability factor for using as a jack stabilizer. I suggest using the Safe Jack base plate. The problem is the expense. That of course is for bottle jacks. For High Lifts anything can be used.

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hello all! Hope your holiday season were good and relaxing! Kinda of unusually question for y'all. Does anyone have jack "upgrades" or recommendation? Preferably one that fit behind the rear seat like the factory one? Thanks for the input and I hope y'all have a good day.
Sponsored