Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
OK. I have read so many posts and pages that I got lost from the original page(s).
What I am looking to do is hook up my bed lights so that they only come on the same way that all the courtesy lights come on when entering or exiting the truck.
Have seen it mentioned once or twice but no one seems to say where or how to wire it. Is it in the taillight housing or elsewhere? Thanks.

Joe, I pulled the upper light on the back of the cab and hooked up to the bed light there. That way they come on with it, and you have a switch in the cap to turn it on. No need to mess with the head liner in the truck. I pushed the wire from the light in the back as far as i could toward the drivers side. Then i removed the plastic trim inside the cab and pulled the wire down to the floor . There is a hole under the plastic trim below the rear door. Then back along the frame with the other wiring and up to the bed. No drilling, just removing and replacing some interior plastic trim pieces.
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Moved here in 09, in 98 it must have been a ghost town compared to now, lots of building
It was great. Fishing in Estero Bay was fantastic. Almost no one there.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Motion sensing? Won’t they be going off frequently and need recharges all the time?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Motion sensing? Won’t they be going off frequently and need recharges all the time?
It has to have motion in front of it like your arm or hand. Mine go at least 3 months.

Bishop_pc

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I went the same route as MT19Ranger, purchased a set of 60" NiLight LED strips. Got a deal, two 60" strips for $25. They have industrial 3M tape as the method of connection but also came with physical clip mounts which I did not use as I didn't want to drill into the bed frame to secure these cheap lights. I'll just replace the tape or lights if the tape starts to fail.
I currently have mine wired into my center mount light to come on with the two factory bed lights in the center mount (entire center mount upgraded to LEDs). I've done this so that when I press the factory bed light button in the cab these LED strips come on at the same time as the factory center mount bed light.
I may change how I've wired it but plan to keep it linked to that center mount so I can use the in cab button to activate.
You can see in the image of the rear window, the small black wire from the center mount is routed behind the rear glass and then is visible where the bed butts up against the cab. I really wanted to fish the wire from behind the center mount to the underneath of the truck and connect but was unable to figure out that path quickly so I decided on this connection for now. I much prefer a cleaner wiring but it's not terrible and isn't very noticeable I think...thoughts...
Images in order:
~Bed with no lights on (no flash)
~Bed with lights on
~Two pics of the LED strips mounted to the underside of the top of the bed frame right where there's a handy angle as it meets the top. The angle was perfect for facing the LEDs slightly inward vs just straight down.
~Pic of the wiring.
IMG_9837.JPG
IMG_9838.JPG
IMG_9829.JPG
IMG_9830.JPG
IMG_9831.JPG

IMG_9832.jpg
So did you use a t-tap/connector/solder to go into the third brake light? Have you had any issues?

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Installed these bed lights today... They work with the switch in the cab or the one on the topper. This way I still have the additional lighting when the topper gets removed!

20200119_210413.jpg

20200119_210351.jpg

20200119_210341.jpg

Grey Razor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Sport ‱ 2015 Audi S3 ‱ 2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR ‱ 2005 Lancer Evolution VIII MR
Occupation
Learning Technology Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Almost done with my bed light install. I tapped into the cargo light wire much like @treimche did (thanks for the advice!).

I made a simple 4-wire harness (2 wires set aside for future wiring) and ran it through the smaller grommet on the driver’s side, rear passenger floor. I relocated the inline fuse that came on the kit and placed it right after the wire tap, but I left the switch in place.

I attached the harness to the kit via a WeatherPack connector.

Works perfect. The lights turn on anytime the courtesy lights are activated or by pressing the cargo light switch on the dash.

All that’s left to do now is mount the lights under the bed rails!

B1D38BDA-3C06-4CFB-9BB2-CA11C2FAD508.jpeg

9FE69A04-3E8B-41DA-8C0C-76A21BCD90E0.jpeg

9D152302-5E2B-41B1-820F-B5143D80CCFB.jpeg

3FB6C592-67B0-4920-BEDF-855CEABBD6DD.jpeg

3C6FB562-7F0A-4D8A-B5B0-39AC33BC4D95.jpeg

09F53FBB-44D1-4985-ABEA-B7E87DA2DA67.jpeg

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I went the same route as MT19Ranger, purchased a set of 60" NiLight LED strips. Got a deal, two 60" strips for $25. They have industrial 3M tape as the method of connection but also came with physical clip mounts which I did not use as I didn't want to drill into the bed frame to secure these cheap lights. I'll just replace the tape or lights if the tape starts to fail.
I currently have mine wired into my center mount light to come on with the two factory bed lights in the center mount (entire center mount upgraded to LEDs). I've done this so that when I press the factory bed light button in the cab these LED strips come on at the same time as the factory center mount bed light.
I may change how I've wired it but plan to keep it linked to that center mount so I can use the in cab button to activate.
You can see in the image of the rear window, the small black wire from the center mount is routed behind the rear glass and then is visible where the bed butts up against the cab. I really wanted to fish the wire from behind the center mount to the underneath of the truck and connect but was unable to figure out that path quickly so I decided on this connection for now. I much prefer a cleaner wiring but it's not terrible and isn't very noticeable I think...thoughts...
Images in order:
~Bed with no lights on (no flash)
~Bed with lights on
~Two pics of the LED strips mounted to the underside of the top of the bed frame right where there's a handy angle as it meets the top. The angle was perfect for facing the LEDs slightly inward vs just straight down.
~Pic of the wiring.
IMG_9837.JPG
IMG_9838.JPG
IMG_9829.JPG
IMG_9830.JPG
IMG_9831.JPG

IMG_9832.jpg
How did you run the wires to the cargo lights and into the bed?

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
FYI: Start at the 1 minute make. Installs bed lights in a Ford Raptor (I think Raptor...F150 of some model)... clever part is he used a magnetic switch on the tailgate to turn them on or off.

Shadyant

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A w/Sport Package. Black on Black & 2018 Explorer Sport, Tech pkg, twin panel roof. Black on Black
Occupation
Ops Manager, Tech
How did you run the wires to the cargo lights and into the bed?
hi there

so if you zoom in on my pic of the back window, you’ll notice a little black pigtail wire coming out the bottom on the driver side window seal.

I tapped into the back cargo bed wiring behind the cargo light then routed the wire inside the window seal to where you see the pigtail coming out the bottom near where the truck bed meets the cab body.

then the wiring connections are wrapped in water proofing material and zip tied and hidden behind the truck bed frame.

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
hi there

so if you zoom in on my pic of the back window, you’ll notice a little black pigtail wire coming out the bottom on the driver side window seal.

I tapped into the back cargo bed wiring behind the cargo light then routed the wire inside the window seal to where you see the pigtail coming out the bottom near where the truck bed meets the cab body.

then the wiring connections are wrapped in water proofing material and zip tied and hidden behind the truck bed frame.
Awesome!
I did the same thing , i ran the wires from a hole in the bed to a grommet under the truck and inside the cabin by the left passenger seat
It was my first time so i had some wiring struggle but it works great !!

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Love y'all, but all y'all are over achievers! I've had this on for a few weeks now and it's working like a charm so far. Best $26.48 I ever spent. Will probably get one for the other side:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bed-lighting.1849/page-2#post-106049
Im a bit OCD and thinking about doing the DIY light strips on both sides. After I save up for that retrax tonneau cover. Having a dead spot would drive me nuts. I'd even go as far as adding some inconspicuous lights under the bumper, never hurt to see where, what, or even who I'm standing on?(short people problems)
Sponsored