Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I do have the drain hoses and they're installed properly, I checked recently and they're clear. My problem is leaking around the rear 1/4 or so near the tailgate. I can watch water dripping out of the track into the bed about 12-16" from the tailgate.
Just for clarification, my drain hoses looked clear, but the gun was actually in the canister where the drain hoses plugged in.

But that doesn't sound like it's your problem! On my cover, similar but not exactly the same as yours, I also have smaller rear drain hoses attached to the rear of the rails that drain off the rails.
Sponsored

xplorre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
Just for clarification, my drain hoses looked clear, but the gun was actually in the canister where the drain hoses plugged in.

But that doesn't sound like it's your problem! On my cover, similar but not exactly the same as yours, I also have smaller rear drain hoses attached to the rear of the rails that drain off the rails.
Oh interesting, I have no rear hoses nor have I seen a place to put any. Mind posting a pic if possible?

The fronts are good to go, I had them off recently.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nevermind, I can see them in the photo you posted. Yeah that's a different (and superior) design to mine.
Damn. That sucks yours doesn't have them. I think it could be retrofitted to yours but I'm not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze. The materials could be sourced for cheap, but you'd have to drill drain holes for the rear of the rails and fit the drains.

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
I bought the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau first thing when I got my Ranger new in 2019. It has been fantastic and has held up well for these 5 years. Barely leaks even in a car wash. Recommended it to a friend with a Ram 1500 who found a cheaper brand that turned out to be junk. Recommended to another friend with a Maverick who got the Extang Solid Fold ALX Tonneau Cover because they don't seem to make the 2.0 anymore and that's new version. He loved it and was very happy. Word to the wise, a hundred dollar price difference can equate to a huge quality difference.

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.c...ng-Solid-Fold-ALX-Tonneau-Cover?set-vehicle=1

20% tax day savings here.

thomas46alamo

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Looking for recommendations for a bed cover. Would like to make it more functional with keeping some items out of the elements while driving. Searched on the forum and it sounds like truxedo leaks often. I looked at the ford version
Ranger 2019-2023 Advantage Hard Folding Cover Bed Cover for 5.0 Bed | Accessories.Ford.com
and roughcontry
Hard Tri-Fold Flip Up Bed Cover | Ford Ranger 2WD/4WD (19-24) | Rough Country

that seem very similar and RC is $500 less.

I havent seen any rangers around me with covers so curious what you recommend. I vaugly remember when I purchased the ranger back in 18 bedcovers werent an option if you had a spray in liner -- not sure if its a ford ordering thing? or spray in liners arent compatible somehow?

Appreciate the help!

thomas46alamo

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have the truxedo one, I installed it a year ago and “knock on wood” have not had any leaks. Water does get in on the sides of tail gate but not alot and no fault of the actual cover itself.

IMG_1116.png

IMG_1115.png

IMG_1114.png

shovonmshahriar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I think @Bludrok ’s setup blows everything else in the market outta water. Personally it’s not for me but Rac-N-Cap is probably one of the most clever/innovative truck accessories I have come across in a while.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I had the Ford Tri-Fold tonneau cover, but I sold it to install a RetraxPRO XR since I wanted to mount bars in the accessory tracks.

I liked the folding cover well enough, and people warned me about how much space you lose with the canister for the Retrax; but I feel like I have MORE usable space with the Retrax since rolling it all the way forward makes it easier to access things in the very front of the bed. It makes it more flexible, too, since you can use the whole bed open rather than having the folding top folded up against the rear window which they suggest you do not drive with it in this position.

As for the Retrax leaking, it doesn't seem to leak any worse than the tri-fold top did. The gap at the tailgate appears to be a little wider, and if I were worried about it, I would probably add a thin gasket there to prevent more water and dust from entering. So far it has not been a problem for me.

My only complaint is that the drain tubes get easily knocked off if you are loading a lot of stuff into your bed. I have thought about trying to 3D print some better fittings and even rigid routing to the drain holes, but again, water hasn't bee much of an issue for me.

The Ford Tri-Fold cover:
4578.jpg

The RetraxPRO XR:
4586.jpg

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I have the Bak Revolver X4s hard roll up. I like it a lot. Only leaking I've seen is a tiny bit at the tailgate corners. Only downside is that it has to be all the way open or all the way closed. Can't open part way while moving. I had a retractable cover on my F150....that was my favorite, but wouldn't get one for the Ranger.....the canister takes up too much space.
I also love the Bak Revolver but it depends on our needs balanced with our budget.

It's pretty frigging expensive but fits our needs perfectly. We like to kayak in the summer and it's nice to leave your gear in the truck and be able to grab a bite to eat. It's certainly not a safe and could be defeated with a crowbar, but the person would clearly need more that an opportunistic moment to get in.

The first one got failed in the first two weeks but they had a new one to me in 6 days. It's been great ever since.

Oops, not so fast - it can be impossible to open if it was damp and below freezing. The zillion nylon teeth that lock it in place will freeze, if wet, and not open. If it's dry, then it works but the rubber can get pretty hard.

Even with that, I still love it, I just go out when it's above freezing to open it up and let in dry.

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
I also love the Bak Revolver but it depends on our needs balanced with our budget.

It's pretty frigging expensive but fits our needs perfectly. We like to kayak in the summer and it's nice to leave your gear in the truck and be able to grab a bite to eat. It's certainly not a safe and could be defeated with a crowbar, but the person would clearly need more that an opportunistic moment to get in.

The first one got failed in the first two weeks but they had a new one to me in 6 days. It's been great ever since.

Oops, not so fast - it can be impossible to open if it was damp and below freezing. The zillion nylon teeth that lock it in place will freeze, if wet, and not open. If it's dry, then it works but the rubber can get pretty hard.

Even with that, I still love it, I just go out when it's above freezing to open it up and let in dry.
Have you treated the top of yours with anything? I haven't and it's fading a bit. Wasn't sure if 303 would help.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Have you treated the top of yours with anything? I haven't and it's fading a bit. Wasn't sure if 303 would help.
It's only had three coats in the last 2 years.

And it sucks it up (which, for me, means I don't know if it's a good thing or not).

I think I'd have to say mine's fading a little. When I blast it with the pressure washer, it looks more like a dark gray than a pure black.

The 303 Aerospace Protectant does darken it up but we'll see if it makes it black again when the weather warms up a bit.

I probably should put it on at least 3 or 4 times a summer since Soupie is always outside. I did notice a small hole in the rubber seal near the tailgate, which is probably from me yanking on it when frozen stuck.

I have some of this that I might try to fill that little hole with - I use it on out PVC kayaks:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XUMBIA?th=1

Says it's compatible with: Vinyl, Leather, Rubber, Fabric, Polyvinyl Chloride

1713213926020-p5.png

shovonmshahriar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I had the Ford Tri-Fold tonneau cover, but I sold it to install a RetraxPRO XR since I wanted to mount bars in the accessory tracks.

I liked the folding cover well enough, and people warned me about how much space you lose with the canister for the Retrax; but I feel like I have MORE usable space with the Retrax since rolling it all the way forward makes it easier to access things in the very front of the bed. It makes it more flexible, too, since you can use the whole bed open rather than having the folding top folded up against the rear window which they suggest you do not drive with it in this position.

As for the Retrax leaking, it doesn't seem to leak any worse than the tri-fold top did. The gap at the tailgate appears to be a little wider, and if I were worried about it, I would probably add a thin gasket there to prevent more water and dust from entering. So far it has not been a problem for me.

My only complaint is that the drain tubes get easily knocked off if you are loading a lot of stuff into your bed. I have thought about trying to 3D print some better fittings and even rigid routing to the drain holes, but again, water hasn't bee much of an issue for me.

The Ford Tri-Fold cover:
4578.jpg

The RetraxPRO XR:
4586.jpg
I have the same issue. Please share if you end up finding a better solution for the drains.

The other thing is, I didn’t know it’s made by Retrax! Mine only has a Ford logo on it

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I have the BakFlip MX4 and I can recommend it. It's not cheap, but it looks good and doesn't leak. The only water you're likely to see is from the tailgate seals (lack of sealing). I also have the spray-in bed liner, so it's compatible.
IMG_4567.jpeg
I have the MX4 also and love it, I actually lash down my inflatable duck boat on top of it as it has a 200lb load limit. No leaks at all but I did add a tailgate seal kit. The reason I don't like roll up's or soft top is durability and accessibility with a knife.
Sponsored