Azure gray metallic tri-coat cost is insane!!!

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
My 2021 Rapid Red metallic tinted clear coat + Black appearance Pkg added $1,485 to the sticker price...
It was on the lot , I would have never bought a red truck , but some how that color combo was appealing to my eye, I have grown to actually really like it, especially in low light when the red almost looks ruby , alot like the red color used on the F250...

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
The flake in the Ford tri-coats is worth it. This is my second White Platinum Metallic Ford and I'd gladly pay for the Metallic tri-coat again.
I have same tricolored white platinum metalic paint, but it was $495 extra in 2019 not $995...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I have same tricolored white platinum metalic paint, but it was $495 extra in 2019 not $995...
Yeah, on my 2020 I think it was the same.

Probably some supply chain issue or something. ;)

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I wonder what the price difference would be if you went to an auto paint supply place and compared the price of a standard color to the price of the upcharged paint. The flake I assume adds cost, right? There are different quality paints as well.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
My 2021 Rapid Red metallic tinted clear coat + Black appearance Pkg added $1,485 to the sticker price...
It was on the lot , I would have never bought a red truck , but some how that color combo was appealing to my eye, I have grown to actually really like it, especially in low light when the red almost looks ruby , alot like the red color used on the F250...
My Favorite color, wish it was still offered!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Wait till you see the "Market Value Adjustment" dealer add-on price. Just a warning, don't be drinking anything when you see it.
My dealer would never do that. All vehicles are at MSRP.
  • Plus $1995 power running boards
  • $1495 power tonneau cover
  • $550 ceramic coat
  • $295 metallic lettering inserts
  • $949 3M paint protectant
  • $229 2 extra cargo hooks
  • $2495 Ford 8yr/100,000mi bumper-to-bumper warranty
  • $149 invoicing & document fee

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just got done talking to my dealer on a mock build. The upcharge for the new azure gray metallic tri-coat is $995!! I fully expected an upcharge. But that is crazy!!!
Actually that is very cheap for a tri coat if you understand the process of what it takes to paint it. It's a complete extra step in the painting process hence the name tri. That being said if you ever get in an accident the collision shop is going to have a bitch of a time blending to match that color. It can be done but it takes a painter with some serious knowledge and experience to do so. On a positive side insurance companies pay more for labor on a tri-coat paint job.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder what the price difference would be if you went to an auto paint supply place and compared the price of a standard color to the price of the upcharged paint. The flake I assume adds cost, right? There are different quality paints as well.
The paint cost difference is a small part of it, it's the labor that adds the cost.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Actually that is very cheap for a tri coat if you understand the process of what it takes to paint it. It's a complete extra step in the painting process hence the name tri. That being said if you ever get in an accident the collision shop is going to have a bitch of a time blending to match that color. It can be done but it takes a painter with some serious knowledge and experience to do so. On a positive side insurance companies pay more for labor on a tri-coat paint job.
I had to have some body work done on my WPM.

I was worried about them matching it up.

At the time of the estimate my guy said he wasn't worried about it, and neither should I. He was right. Granted my shop has some very skilled folks working in it. But I don't think any reputable shop would have a problem with it.
Sponsored