ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst
IMG_6539.jpg

I've got mine mounted here. Just one wire through the firewall! Like others have said, you will not be able to put the brake controller into this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
If you take out the door trim, the carpet pulls up easy, and I just lifted and the dropped the carpet. I had to get extensions for the cables, but then I ran it behind the dash and to the fuse panel.

wnXKke3_Y3_JmaMndNjFLODU2=w938-h1250-no?authuser=0.jpg
So, I went and laid under the truck to look for this spot. I found a rubber grommet just to the outboard side of the drive shaft. Is that the location you're talking about?

I'm trying to look at this and the firewall, to see which I'm going to do. The Auxbeam kit will be here today, and I'll either install it tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks much.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
its about 12-18" in from the door, so that sounds like the one. I forgot to mention earlier, I had to get 2 or 3 of the extension cables. You can string them together, no problem.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Thanks much. If I can, I'll try to do this tomorrow afternoon. I am afraid the darn job will get in the way though.

If tomorrow goes like I expect, then it will be Friday afternoon. Have a 9am appt for the new tires, so I may just take the day off and do this. I'll have the two light kits I've ordered by then also.

its about 12-18" in from the door, so that sounds like the one. I forgot to mention earlier, I had to get 2 or 3 of the extension cables. You can string them together, no problem.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
So I ended up buying a 22 inch white light bar, a 21 inch amber light bar to put up front, and two 7 inch small white light bars to put under the bumper in the rear. My driveway is long and dark and I can't see to back up well with the existing reverse lights.

All this will go a 6 gang switchbox.

I haven't had any time to work on it since it got here last week. I did have a 1/2 hour at lunch today, where I was able to get the cable through the firewall. I plan to install the rest tomorrow.

My thought is the amber will be for fog/inclement weather, and the white will be for offroad.

I was going to put the amber low and the white high, and see how it goes.

Will post a pic or two if I ever finish it. Thinking of taking a few hours of PTO tomorrow to try to get them all in.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Decided to put the switch by the headlights. Would rather have gone between the 12V plugs, but that seemed like too much work. Could be a future option.

One light bar is in, the other two, amber and rear, will get done this week.

Oh yeah, if you force that big plastic piece at the front of the engine off, you'll break off all the tabs.

20230506_192533.jpg

20230507_124508.jpg

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
in case anyone is interested, I moved the switch up a tad, and used hollow wall anchor toggles to secure it to the trim through the hole in the trim under headlights. It was really easy to pull that panel down, get the wings lined up right behind, and screw down the bracket.

This actually moved the switch more out of the way, and also got it in pretty solidly w/o putting any holes into any trim pieces.

ranger7424

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Anyone have pics of how the relay wiring panel is mounted under the hood?

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
I can get you one tomorrow. I zip tied it to a few holes on the frame. Bad thing is it's under that plastic cover across the front of the engine.

NavRanger21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX-4x4
IMG_6539.jpg

I've got mine mounted here. Just one wire through the firewall! Like others have said, you will not be able to put the brake controller into this.
@ReigleCM or others who have wired the AUXBEAM switch panel, I have a question about the ACC wire connection to fuse box. As I see it, there are only 3 options to wire that to the fuse box.

1: Wire to ENGINE compartment fuse box (w/ add-a-circuit), and jam the wire in between the fuse box cover and box.

2: Make a hole in the fuse box to run the ACC wire through the fuse box and seal it up with sealant to waterproof it. That way the cover closes tight too.

3: Run it inside through the firewall with the switch panel cable to wire to fuse box inside the cabin. But, the ACC wire will be too short to go through all that.

If i go with 1 or 2, I'm afraid of water seeping through.

How did y'all wire this up? If you chose 3, what gauge wire did you extend the ACC wire with?

Thanks.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
@ReigleCM or others who have wired the AUXBEAM switch panel, I have a question about the ACC wire connection to fuse box. As I see it, there are only 3 options to wire that to the fuse box.

1: Wire to ENGINE compartment fuse box (w/ add-a-circuit), and jam the wire in between the fuse box cover and box.

2: Make a hole in the fuse box to run the ACC wire through the fuse box and seal it up with sealant to waterproof it. That way the cover closes tight too.

3: Run it inside through the firewall with the switch panel cable to wire to fuse box inside the cabin. But, the ACC wire will be too short to go through all that.

How did y'all wire this up? If you chose 3, what gauge wire did you extend the ACC wire with?

Thanks.
I actually ran it into the fender through a hole under the hood and used a tap to connect to the running light (side marker). I had lights wired to it at the time, so they were only used when the side Merle’s (headlights) were on.

NavRanger21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX-4x4
I actually ran it into the fender through a hole under the hood and used a tap to connect to the running light (side marker). I had lights wired to it at the time, so they were only used when the side Merle’s (headlights) were on.

The side markers goes on when the headlights or parking lights are on. If I understood you correctly the panel won’t get power unless the side markers are on? I want to have the option of operating the switch panel with just the ignition ON.

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst

Thanks.
#2 with a dab of sealant. How most people do it. It’s perfectly dry in there, go for it!

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The side markers goes on when the headlights or parking lights are on. If I understood you correctly the panel won’t get power unless the side markers are on? I want to have the option of operating the switch panel with just the ignition ON.
that’s fair, but it is as simple as kicking the ignition on and the lights. Otherwise, use an add a fuse to the engine fuse block. I’d have to see which fuse I used.