Auxbeam switch question

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
So, I am looking at getting the Auxbeam or similar. In the past, I just wired lights to the battery with an inline fuse, so using a relay box is new to me, but seems much more convenient.

So I have a few questions for those who know this better than I do:
- It looks as though only one cable comes through the firewall. That in of itself makes the relay box worth it.
- Is it possible to add the round trailer brake control know to the switch panel? It looks like those particular ones can't be modded like that. So, is that doable? I'd like to put that switch on the same panel but it's not totally necessary I guess.

These seems relatively inexpensive, while some other brands are significantly more. Am I missing anything?

Thanks much.
Sponsored

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The Auxbeam controller cannot be modded. The controller is thin and, while it can be taken apart, won't really accept the brake controller.

I have the 8 switch version and it is really nice. Once the wire is brought through the firewall or, as I did, under the passenger's carpet, all wiring is under the hood.

There is a drain plug under the carpet under both driver and passenger floorboards. Super easy to run it through there with a small x cut and some silicon sealer.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Most people install the brake controller to the left of the shifter and below the 4wd knob.
I've seen some installs like that, but I think I want to put it on the light switch to keep it all together.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
The Auxbeam controller cannot be modded. The controller is thin and, while it can be taken apart, won't really accept the brake controller.

I have the 8 switch version and it is really nice. Once the wire is brought through the firewall or, as I did, under the passenger's carpet, all wiring is under the hood.

There is a drain plug under the carpet under both driver and passenger floorboards. Super easy to run it through there with a small x cut and some silicon sealer.
seems like something like the auxbeam will be easiest. I can put the trailer controller in the driver side 12v socket, which I never use anyways.

Did you have to remove carpet and then put it back down some how? How did you get from the floor grommet to the controller? Also, how did you attach the cable underneath? I.m gussing zip ties to structure or something?

Thanks much.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
seems like something like the auxbeam will be easiest. I can put the trailer controller in the driver side 12v socket, which I never use anyways.

Did you have to remove carpet and then put it back down some how? How did you get from the floor grommet to the controller? Also, how did you attach the cable underneath? I.m gussing zip ties to structure or something?

Thanks much.
If you take out the door trim, the carpet pulls up easy, and I just lifted and the dropped the carpet. I had to get extensions for the cables, but then I ran it behind the dash and to the fuse panel.

wnXKke3_Y3_JmaMndNjFLODU2=w938-h1250-no?authuser=0.jpg

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
that's where I was thinking of mounting it as well

Ugly_Betty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Wasn't able to find the Lightforce switch available anywhere. I just installed the Stedi switch fascia and love it. Also less disassembly of the truck to install it. Somebody on here used the same fascia and installed his brake controller dial there as well.

https://www.stedi.com.au/switch-panel-to-suit-ford.html

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Wasn't able to find the Lightforce switch available anywhere. I just installed the Stedi switch fascia and love it. Also less disassembly of the truck to install it. Somebody on here used the same fascia and installed his brake controller dial there as well.

https://www.stedi.com.au/switch-panel-to-suit-ford.html
I like the look of that one, and also can't find the Lightforce anywhere.

So, did you home run your auxiliaries to the switch board, or did you install a fuse/relay box in the engine compartment?

Nice looking truck by the way. I too am going to buy the Cooper AT3's.

Ugly_Betty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I like the look of that one, and also can't find the Lightforce anywhere.

So, did you home run your auxiliaries to the switch board, or did you install a fuse/relay box in the engine compartment?
I only have one of the switches installed at the moment, but I ran a constant and ignition wire from the fuse panel under the left panel to the back of the switch fascia to give backlight power and the 12v to send down the trigger wire. I then ran 4 trigger wires up to the engine bay to activate the relays. I don't have a relay block, have been looking at them. For now it's just a single relay up in front of the battery.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
That's what I will be doing with the TBC. I think I'll mount the switch panel over under the headlights switch, and put the TBC in that socket location.

My recommendation for the TBC knob. You’ll need to order the round trim, as the kit only includes the rectangular one. It was $10.00 on E Trailer website.
FAFBDF4A-31E0-4EAC-9BBB-85DE8A07066E.jpeg

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
That's what I will be doing with the TBC. I think I'll mount the switch panel over under the headlights switch, and put the TBC in that socket location.
And my recommendation for the 12volt plug you are removing….
CB9920E3-F6C2-420A-834A-83F5B064FD8C.jpeg
9B23D98A-024E-4E15-BFCD-53D3AAC307C6.jpeg
EFC5D190-6FB4-49BF-83C4-57B8E5147D81.jpeg
1F29C10C-61C9-4E55-BAB6-85892A64DDDC.jpeg
Sponsored