Auto Start

RangersLeadTheWay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
And yes, I know that some people don't mind ASS. Personally, I hate it. It's not at all seamless and it's too damn aggressive. I also know that you can push the button every start, eliminate it with FORSCAN, etc. To me this was $90 well spent.
I love and appreciate a nice ASS. Just me? ??‍♂?
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Seems this subject has been beaten to death, but here's my $0.02. Why are people paying so much money for something that does one thing that can be done easier and cheaper so many other ways. Spend the money on a good ODBII adaptor and a Forscan license. You can make a lot of other tweaks and spend what's left on other mods.

By the way, both the wife and I love my lightening blue XLT FX4. I even get comments in parking lots. Too many black, white, grey, silver trucks around. What's something different and got it.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Forscan is not Mac compatible.
Not to bash Mac people (there are a lot of you), but you have my sympathies:crying:. Your missing out on a lot of cool tweaks you can do to your truck.

RobmJ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Not to bash Mac people (there are a lot of you), but you have my sympathies:crying:. Your missing out on a lot of cool tweaks you can do to your truck.
Can you give me a quick little run down of all the mods you can make via forscan? I cant seem to find a simple list.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Can you give me a quick little run down of all the mods you can make via forscan? I cant seem to find a simple list.
There's a bunch of mods here for ForScan in the electronics section.

Chrispym2005

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computer Engineer
A few days ago my LED nightlight crapped out. I've read that the AC outlet is producing more of a square wave that is hard on electronics. My light lasted just about 3 months.

I was ready to buy the eliminator that connects to the button, but found the 4D Tech dongle that uses the OBD port. It's more expensive at $99.99, but I had an ebay coupon and figured the install would be much simpler.

You unplug the cable from the back of the OBD port under the dash and put the device in between. 2 minute install on a stupidly hot day and it works great.
20200703_200016.jpg

And yes, I know that some people don't mind ASS. Personally, I hate it. It's not at all seamless and it's too damn aggressive. I also know that you can push the button every start, eliminate it with FORSCAN, etc. To me this was $90 well spent.
Can you post a link to this please?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm not Charlie but here's the link to it. If you're like me I'd want to order it right away. lol

They also have one here that eliminates the annoying double honk.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Someone else here posted a video link of a guy that found the simplest solution yet to disabling it. Negative battery terminal has a small connector attached. Disconnect that and ASS is gone. No codes thrown as of a week ago when I did it.
Later on when Forscan gets up and running I will disable that route and reconnect the battery connector. So I got low voltage warnings back.

Why spend money on a fix that is really unnecessary.

Long ago I had a touchscreen Panasonic radio. Every time you fired it up you had to engage parking break to get to the backup camera. A small module automated the enguage sequence to disable it automatically every time you started the truck. It cost like 10 bucks. I’m sure I could stick that in to do the same thing that you do manually with the push button override on the console.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m tempted to build an obdii device that has a user selectable startup sequence. I could make my own for less than buying one, but mass production would be nearly impossible for me.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m tempted to build an obdii device that has a user selectable startup sequence. I could make my own for less than buying one, but mass production would be nearly impossible for me.
My remote OBD start module was about a 100 bucks. Has worked flawlessly in combo with Ford Connect.

You would be hard pressed to get pass through OBD connectors, your module, wire it up and then test it out for less than a 100 mate!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Someone else here posted a video link of a guy that found the simplest solution yet to disabling it. Negative battery terminal has a small connector attached. Disconnect that and ASS is gone. No codes thrown as of a week ago when I did it.
Later on when Forscan gets up and running I will disable that route and reconnect the battery connector. So I got low voltage warnings back.

Why spend money on a fix that is really unnecessary.

Long ago I had a touchscreen Panasonic radio. Every time you fired it up you had to engage parking break to get to the backup camera. A small module automated the enguage sequence to disable it automatically every time you started the truck. It cost like 10 bucks. I’m sure I could stick that in to do the same thing that you do manually with the push button override on the console.
I posted it a while back but here it is again.:)

Start from the 6:20 mark so you don't have to listen to him ramble on about nothing.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I am aware that normal starter motors are designed to do 100-150k starts and auto stop start ones are designed to do upwards of 500k starts.
Considering how many times it's shutting down in daily driving traffic, that is not nearly enough. One drive through town for a city dweller is giving a person 1000%-2000% more starts on their starting system.

If you know what you're talking about, and that statement is true, it's a pretty damn good reason to not use it.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
My remote OBD start module was about a 100 bucks. Has worked flawlessly in combo with Ford Connect.

You would be hard pressed to get pass through OBD connectors, your module, wire it up and then test it out for less than a 100 mate!
$9 for a cable, $27 for a CAN shield, $23 for an Arduino. My time is technically free for me. I don’t need a remote, I can leave it attached.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I've been using the 4D Tech dongle since last July and it works flawlessly. I usually don't even think about it any more. It eliminated the most annoying (to me) thing about my truck.

I still wonder about the long term effects of disconnecting the BMS. It's a pretty sophisticated system that Ford built for a reason. I know people are keeping it disconnected without any apparent problems, but long term who knows.
Sponsored