First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired Marine
If I start my truck and ride down the road at night the auto high beams come on at 32mph and off at 27 mph as they are supposed to. However, if at any time while driving I either flash my high beams or manually operate them, the auto high beams no longer function as they are suppose to. Any idea what is going on?
Sponsored

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are you sure you aren't just turning them off? Do you see the auto high beam icon in the dash? If they are turning off, just push the left stalk to turn them back on.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
If I start my truck and ride down the road at night the auto high beams come on at 32mph and off at 27 mph as they are supposed to. However, if at any time while driving I either flash my high beams or manually operate them, the auto high beams no longer function as they are suppose to. Any idea what is going on?
By manually operating them you just turned off the automatic highbeam function of your headlights. To get it back, turn your headlight switch to the on position and back to the auto position and they will work again.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I don't have the automatic high beams any more. Idk if it's because:
1) my front is leveled
2) I'm not running side marker lights
3) that's about all I can think of

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4)you shut it off in the information display
1637809890926.png
Aha! Yea I never use auto anymore since I hooked up my grill lights to my parking lamps every time I get in my truck I put it on the parking lamps to have the grill lights on in the day I guess I'll use auto at night instead of just "on"

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Aha! Yea I never use auto anymore since I hooked up my grill lights to my parking lamps every time I get in my truck I put it on the parking lamps to have the grill lights on in the day I guess I'll use auto at night instead of just "on"
Time to learn the benefits of Forscan. I changed my daytime running lights to be my parking lights and fogs, so my grill lights are always on and I can leave the auto headlights on.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
By manually operating them you just turned off the automatic highbeam function of your headlights. To get it back, turn your headlight switch to the on position and back to the auto position and they will work again.
Not so, with my 2019. Just did the same thing a couple nights ago. Had a 1.5hr drive on dark roads and there were a couple times when the auto high beams didn't come on when I wanted them, so I did it manually. Turned them off when a car approached and the auto feature still worked.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not so, with my 2019. Just did the same thing a couple nights ago. Had a 1.5hr drive on dark roads and there were a couple times when the auto high beams didn't come on when I wanted them, so I did it manually. Turned them off when a car approached and the auto feature still worked.
Sometimes you can have the knob on automatic but the little A needs to be on the dash indicating that the high beams are automatic. As you manually turn the high beams on and off the little A will come on the screen one time and come off the next. So if you manually turn them on and you want them to still be automatic make sure the little A is on the dash..

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Sometimes you can have the knob on automatic but the little A needs to be on the dash indicating that the high beams are automatic. As you manually turn the high beams on and off the little A will come on the screen one time and come off the next. So if you manually turn them on and you want them to still be automatic make sure the little A is on the dash..
Sorry, but not sure what you are trying to tell me? Are you saying there is a particular sequence you need to follow to get the auto high beams to stay on?
Maybe I wasn't clear in my response to Big Blue. I was just saying that I don't have to do anything to return my lights to auto after manually operating them. I can manually turn the high beams on (while in auto) and when I manually turn them off, the high beams return to auto.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Ah that explains what's been happening . I probably should read the manual , lol . Funny that two threads are about the auto high beams and I had posted this issue just a few minutes ago in the other thread . Thanks for the explanation .

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, but not sure what you are trying to tell me? Are you saying there is a particular sequence you need to follow to get the auto high beams to stay on?
Maybe I wasn't clear in my response to Big Blue. I was just saying that I don't have to do anything to return my lights to auto after manually operating them. I can manually turn the high beams on (while in auto) and when I manually turn them off, the high beams return to auto.
That is because you manually turn them on by pulling the lever toward you. Or you can manually turn on the high beams by pushing the lever the opposite way and let go and the high beams stay on until you manually push the lever again. The way you are doing it doesn't turn on or off the automatic high beams which is what I was saying is indicated by the green A on the dash. Basically you can push or pull the lever to turn on your high beams.
Pulling it, you have to hold it to keep the lights on and will not deactivate your automatic high beams, however pushing the lever away from you and letting go of the lever it will turn on the high beams but now the automatic-ness of the high beams is off and there is no more green "A" on the dash. Push the lever 2 more times and it's automatic again. You don't have to worry about activating/deactivating the automatic-ness if you are only pulling the lever to use the high beams.

Last edited:

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah that explains what's been happening . I probably should read the manual , lol . Funny that two threads are about the auto high beams and I had posted this issue just a few minutes ago in the other thread . Thanks for the explanation .
Yea pushing and pulling the lever is different.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
...you can manually turn on the high beams by pushing the lever the opposite way and let go and the high beams stay on until you manually push the lever again.
This is what I was saying I do, and the lights do not drop out of auto mode when I manually turn the highbeams off.
Maybe it's just Canadian models that do this? We have different headlight rules than the US.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
This is what I was saying I do, and the lights do not drop out of auto mode when I manually turn the highbeams off.
Maybe it's just Canadian models that do this? We have different headlight rules than the US.
Of course you do.
Yours are far more polite! :)

Reactions: DHH

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
That is because you manually turn them on by holding the lights on you can manually turn on the high beams by pushing the lever the opposite way and let go and the high beams stay on until you manually push the lever again. The way you are doing it doesn't turn on or off the automatic high beams which is what I was saying is indicated by the green A on the dash. Basically you can push or pull the lever to turn on your high beams pulling it you have to hold it to keep the lights on and will not deactivate your automatic high beams, however pushing the lever away from you and letting go of the lever it will turn on the high beams but now the automatic-ness of the high beams is off and there is no more green "A" on the dash. Push the lever 2 more times and it's automatic again. You don't have to worry about activating/describing the automatic-ness if you are only pulling the lever to use the high beams.
The Ford equivalent of rub you belly and pat hour head. I was confused by the rotary and lever actions before seeing this but now....

I thought auto High Beams turned High off when another car headed your direction (lever function), not auto off for daylight (rotary light switch)...
Sponsored