Are low beams supposed to auto dim?

Deleted member 1634

The DRL on the XLT are full voltage. If they were reduced voltage, our LED swaps would flicker when DRL is activated.
That may be true. My DRLs are turned off, so I don't know what they actually do. But I know there are some LED bulbs which are capable to be "dimmed" for exact purpose of being used for DRLs.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I've noticed that a lot on this forum (and I'm sure it's a systemic problem over all brands and types of vehicles) that a lot of questions and misunderstandings would be easily remedied/avoided if people 1) got a good intro to the vehicle from the dealer during delivery (or paid attention during the orientation) and/or 2) would read the manual (both soon after taking delivery and reference it first when there is a question).
10-4 on the owner's manual. When I was selling Fords back in the 80's and 90's I was amazed by the number of people that would call with basic questions like "where did all my radio stations go/ why do they change ( AM, FM1, FM2/AST)?" The hi beams won't stay on, they just blink" "The back door(s) won't open from the inside, suddenly" etc. I told our zone manager one time that Ford could put a coupon good for a total loan payoff in the middle of the Owners Manual, and never pay out one dime. Vehicles would come back in off lease without them..."oh, we threw all that stuff out-took up too much room in the glove box".

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
10-4 on the owner's manual. When I was selling Fords back in the 80's and 90's I was amazed by the number of people that would call with basic questions like "where did all my radio stations go/ why do they change ( AM, FM1, FM2/AST)?" The hi beams won't stay on, they just blink" "The back door(s) won't open from the inside, suddenly" etc. I told our zone manager one time that Ford could put a coupon good for a total loan payoff in the middle of the Owners Manual, and never pay out one dime. Vehicles would come back in off lease without them..."oh, we threw all that stuff out-took up too much room in the glove box".
I make it habit to at least peruse the whole manual over a few days/a week after getting a new car to make sure I catch everything. I don't go into detail on some of it (like the infotainment) because it's just painful and not always helpful, but most other things I'll at least gloss over nearly every page to make sure I didn't miss anything useful. (Like I missed the under trunk button for my trunk on my '15 Mustang I didn't know about for over a year...)

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

I agree reading the manual is worth the effort. Yes it is a bit frustrating. Usually not very well written. One of my pet peeves is that it is written to cover every possible option the vehicle could have. So you get the " it will do this... if your vehicle is so equipped".

Here is a free suggestion for car manufacturers. In this day of high tech manufacturing when a vehicle comes off the end of the line have the build data computer look at all the options on that particular vehicle and write the manual for that specific build on a USB and include it with the vehicle. Attach it to the key fob or something. I know they have the data, and there are only so many possible combinations of options. It would not be that hard to do. Yes it would cost a few dollars but we wouldn't have to slog through a bunch of information that doesn't apply to us to find the things we need.

I try to make it a habit to not only read the manual just after purchase on any high tech item, but go back and read it again after using it for a while. I usually pick up a few things I might have missed the first time.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Apparently your delivery consisted of “Your new truck is over there”
Dealer delivery seems to be really poor on the ranger. I had read the manual cover to cover before picking my range up, and when it was delivered i was told that the terrain management system "Only shifted the truck between 2H, 4H and 4L" They also skipped over the locking rear differential...

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I have always read the manuals on all my vehicles. Yes i am a bit......overzealous, but that comes from being a mechanic my whole life. I just might learn something if i read them.