First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 Auto 4x4 2014
Occupation
Software Engineer
I recently purchased a used 2014 Wildtrak with the driver's side (Right hand side in South Africa) low beam not working.
I initially thought it was just the bulb, so I replaced it, and ended with the exact same results. The high beam works fine though. I tested the voltage.
With the low beams turned on, The right low beam voltage reads 7.4v, and the left side reads 12v.
With the high beams turned on, both sides read 7.4v on the low beam and 12v on the high beam.
From the research I've done, it seems the issue is the BCM that requires a reset after a possible short? As though the BCM reduces current to the circuit to prevent damage. I have no idea how true this is. I have plugged in a cheap OBD2 diagnostic tool, and it did not pick up any fault codes. Unfortunately it can only read and clear faults, and not do any programming or resetting of the modules.
Am I on the right track with this problem? Or could it be something else? I've already contacted my closest dealer, but the quote just to run a diagnostic is a joke.

Any advice would be appreciated
Sponsored

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
You could try making sure battery is charged and if so, do a dis-connect / re-connect and reset the BMS.

I’m no mechanic/technician. That was from google but did fit your issue to troubleshoot.

edit to add: Hope it works out for you!

OP
OP

bluffrockstar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
You could try making sure battery is charged and if so, do a dis-connect / re-connect and reset the BMS.

I’m no mechanic/technician. That was from google but did fit your issue to troubleshoot.

edit to add: Hope it works out for you!
Thanks very much. Yeah I tried the battery disconnect method as well. Unfortunately that hasn't worked either. It seems the BCM on the newer models store the errors in memory forcing a diagnostic to reset.
The battery voltage at the terminals is 12.4v with the engine off ,and 14.1v with the engine on.

I see today that the reverse lights are also an issue. Left is intermittent and right is nothing. Replaced the bulbs and still off. I'm assuming the reverse switch is fine as the reverse camera activates without issues. Will check the voltage on those wires when I can get a 2nd person to assist

So now I'm not sure whether the reverse lamps and headlight problem is related?

OP
OP

bluffrockstar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Bought a Veepeak OBD2 scan tool and used the Forscan software to do a diagnostic. The issue was as I suspected. There was an error code B1D01 - Right Low Beam. I cleared the error from the DTC list. Issue was most likely caused from a short circuit. It resolved the problem and has been working 100% for the last week now.
Sponsored