Are later years more reliable? 2021 vs 2020

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I'm looking for a 2020 or 2021 Ranger (Lariat, 2x4 FX2) to replace my 1997.

Summary: If I'm happy with color and features of 2020, is there any reason to choose 2021 vs 2020?

Do certain problems only get addressed on next year's models, or do they usually get rolled in as problems are found?
Are later years more reliable?
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Across the entire automotive industry, I think it’s fair to say that historically, and currently, first-year models tend to have more production issues than later years of the same design. From what I see in this forum, the worst problem seems to be the accumulation of fuel in the oil sump, and the majority (so far) seem to be 2019 models.

It’s also important to note that people who belong to forums like this are often here specifically to find solutions to problems, and are a small minority of Ranger owners, so the percentage of those with problems can be much higher in forums like this than in the overall market.

Across the industry, manufacturers build cars in runs of about six years, commonly with a minor “refresh” at the three-year mark. By the third year, they’ve had time to fix many of the production issues, and are building better cars. The refresh models can be hit-or-miss. If the changes are mostly cosmetic, they can be very reliable cars. If there are major mechanical changes, they can have all of the “new car” production problems.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
If you've found that prefect Ranger, buy it. The only difference in the '21 vs. the '20 is colors. And of course the price. From what I've read here these trucks have proven their reliability. Good luck on your decision.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Problems?? We've had minor ones at best and we are at 15000 miles today on our 2019 version. I agree that early models are more prone to that, but since ford was building these at other locations, I was less worried.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for a 2020 or 2021 Ranger (Lariat, 2x4 FX2) to replace my 1997.

Summary: If I'm happy with color and features of 2020, is there any reason to choose 2021 vs 2020?

Do certain problems only get addressed on next year's models, or do they usually get rolled in as problems are found?
Are later years more reliable?
Hey, John, it sort of stands to reason that, in a general way, passing years would give the manufacturer time to work on whatever initial issues appeared, but I am not sure that would give any assurance that things are less likely to go wrong in a particular vehicle from a later year as opposed to a particular vehicle in an earlier year. For my part, nearly 10,000 miles in a 2019 Lariat, with no issues at all.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I have 26,800 on my 2019 Lariat FX4. The only problem I have had just occurred recently and I have an appointment next week to get it fixed. It's minor, seems the driver's side of the dual air conditioning is blowing hot. Passenger side is so cold. Obviously the A/C is working so it must be a modulator or switch. My wife stole my Ranger for her daily driver...lol. She loves the power!
Great Vehicle!!! Off-road Trail Control is awesome too! Remember about refinement of these trucks. This same vehicle has been in production down under for some time. I believe the bugs were pretty much already out by the time is got to the U.S. in 2019. The 2020 is the same as a 2019 and I believe the 2021 will be or is also. I think I read somewhere that 2022 is the redesign year.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, John, it sort of stands to reason that, in a general way, passing years would give the manufacturer time to work on whatever initial issues appeared, but I am not sure that would give any assurance that things are less likely to go wrong in a particular vehicle from a later year as opposed to a particular vehicle in an earlier year. For my part, nearly 10,000 miles in a 2019 Lariat, with no issues at all.
Another anecdotal piece of evidence. I have a rather early 2019 build (built in March of 2019) - I have had zero issues other than a minor leaky mirror turn signal. Over 16,000 miles and it has been a great truck. I've towed with it, overloaded the bed (as a test) and been VERY happy with how it has performed.

These trucks weren't your typical "new" model. While there were changes made for the NA market, much of the truck (other than the powertrain) is the same that has been produced around the world for quite a few years. Even the powertrain isn't really new as the 10 speed has been in quite a few vehicles and the 2.3 has been in other vehicles as well (although it was changed slightly for the Ranger).

The 6G Ranger will be a brand new model, so the typical "first year" concerns will be more valid for it.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
We have a member here, Sid. He has over 52K on his '19 without any problems. That's a testament to these Rangers for sure.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
All, thanks for your thoughts -- that was helpful.
By "problems", i meant any bugs that always exist, but it's a good point that this chassis (though not engine, as far as I can tell) has been running worldwide for even longer.

The focus of my question was also on whether in the automotive industry, changes are made as any issues are found, or are they only rolled in on new model years?
Though that point isn't clear to me yet, it sounds like there is not much concern about issues regardless.

I'll go with 2020 since that's available.
And i prefer the darker lightning blue color over the lighter velocity blue :)

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
The 5G ranger is a pretty mature platform. The 2.3l has been around for a while and the T6 platform has been around even longer. I say if you found a 2020 that you like go for it since there are no major changes

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Having worked retools on a few Ford and GM assembly plants the only vehicles I would be apprehensive about buying are the first 5-600 produced. They are not built at the assembly plant by UAW employees. They are built by the subcontractor that designs and builds the assembly lines off site. The robots are set up and fine tuned, disassembled, shipped to whatever plant they are going to and re assembled pretty quickly. The assembly jigs for the welding robots are shipped with stampings already clamped in them. Id rather buy one that is a few months out at least from a retool. Thats just my opinion from seeing whats involved in setting up a line.

RangerCoby

First Name
Coby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat FX4
I've got over 31,000 miles on my 2019 Lariat with zero issues.

I say just buy the one you want more. Personally I would go with the older model just to get a better deal.
Sponsored