First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
My 92 F150 had 108,000 miles when I sold it and brakes were original and only on second set of tires. It was a freeway commuter for the most part.
Sponsored

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
My adaptive cruse control is harder on my brakes than I am. It's one of the things I don't like about ACC. My 2000 Explorer had 200K and the pads were never replaced. Lots of highway miles and looking ahead.

Point of interest. If at some point you may have to replace your rotors... do not go cheap. Cheap rotors are typically made in China and likely are not properly heat treated. As a result will warp quickly, particularly if you brake hard..

A good friend drove his Jeep Cherokee to 450,000 miles. He is a "late braker" and when he told me I he was replacing his rotors every 20K I asked if he was buying cheap. He told me he was buying cheap because he was replacing them so often. I told him to buy some good rotors (usually about $100 ea) and he said he'd try. Never had to replace them again for the last 200,000 miles before selling the vehicle. Most good independent brake folks will tell you the same.

Another point. The DOT requires some minimum pressure to stop at a specific rate. Because the requirement is so a 90 lb 90 year old lady can stop her belch fire V8, many vehicles use soft pads. This is most observable on foreign makes, specifically MB and BMW. Although that problem is not as common now as a few years ago. The front wheels get covered with brake dust. The requirement is likely still there but engineering progress is such brake dust is not nearly the problem it was a few years ago.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Just passed 98K and probably can get 120K out of them...though I think I'll replace them at 110K before the pads get too thin...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm coming up on 10k miles and wondering when the pads will need replacing.
Hi HPRZ,

We used to get this question time and time again. It is so hard to answer as brake usage is so dependent on variables that we cannot determine...your commute to work...all stoplights? All freeway? Anyway, we gauge brake wear on specific testing which includes brake dyno tests, or more telling, Los Angeles downtown city usage on prototypes. These usages are benchmarked as severe and extrapolated to estimate life in customer usage. While the number is proprietary and I will not divulge it as it can change, there is a minimum for "normal usage" that is well above what folks here start to question... Biggest are those that drive with left foot on the brake pedal or stoplight to stoplight slam on the brakes. Or freeway drivers that do not touch the pedal.

I had 97,000 miles on my 2007 Ranger with half front pad life...Why???? I used the engine braking by heal and Toe braking....I am an exception, so for normal usage...I can say it should be well above the 30,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty by a extensive margin. Ever try a door on a New York Taxi...almost read to fall off the vehicle... I hope you get that driving habits/style will dictate when you replace brakes....Have then checked regularly...at oil changes for example at places you trust to not scam you.

Best,
Phil

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi HPRZ,

We used to get this question time and time again. It is so hard to answer as brake usage is so dependent on variables that we cannot determine...your commute to work...all stoplights? All freeway? Anyway, we gauge brake wear on specific testing which includes brake dyno tests, or more telling, Los Angeles downtown city usage on prototypes. These usages are benchmarked as severe and extrapolated to estimate life in customer usage. While the number is proprietary and I will not divulge it as it can change, there is a minimum for "normal usage" that is well above what folks here start to question... Biggest are those that drive with left foot on the brake pedal or stoplight to stoplight slam on the brakes. Or freeway drivers that do not touch the pedal.

I had 97,000 miles on my 2007 Ranger with half front pad life...Why???? I used the engine braking by heal and Toe braking....I am an exception, so for normal usage...I can say it should be well above the 30,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty by a extensive margin. Ever try a door on a New York Taxi...almost read to fall off the vehicle... I hope you get that driving habits/style will dictate when you replace brakes....Have then checked regularly...at oil changes for example at places you trust to not scam you.

Best,
Phil
You're right Phil...it all depends on the driver and use...I time lights...drive 10 vehicles ahead because I can see above the traffic unless something larger is in front...use light brake pressure over longer distances to slow or come to a stop...

Deleted member 15875

My parts guys have noticed the same trend that I did..
I have commonly seen 90- 100,000 miles or so from front disc brakes and as much as twice that from rear drums.
However, in recent years I am seeing 45-55,000 miles on fronts and a bit more on the rear discs or drums.
Not sure whether that is because of brake compound changes, or more complex ABS controls.
Still, as you say, driving habits still make a huge difference.
On the track , it is brake as late as possible, as seldom as possible , and as hard as possible .
With this Ranger, even without engine braking I find myself coasting up to a stop with only a late and soft pedal application.
To me it seems like there's no engine braking with the Ranger. It's really odd, but it coasts well!

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
A couple of my F-150's went over 100k miles with original brakes when I sold them. Mostly freeway miles though,

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
To me it seems like there's no engine braking with the Ranger. It's really odd, but it coasts well!
When I had the stock Hankooks on mine would feel the same and seem to coast for miles. Since changing them (heavier and more resistance) I don't notice it at all. When going through the mountains or steep declines I use S mode and manually shift. I can control it much better this way and less I have to brake. Comes in really handy off road too

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Engine braking is active in Sport mode, Tow mode and in Manual mode, but not in Drive
It's not any more active in manual mode than in drive. You have to specify the gears to gain any engine braking that way.

If you use cruise control you'll see the engine braking in drive, and even if you're just going down a hill and use your brakes it will kick in, but very subtly.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
It's not any more active in manual mode than in drive. You have to specify the gears to gain any engine braking that way.

If you use cruise control you'll see the engine braking in drive, and even if you're just going down a hill and use your brakes it will kick in, but very subtly.
Not my experience,....(perhaps it is just too subtle, or a matter defining terms)

There is no engine braking in drive unless it is in "tow haul".
Even coming down Monteagle, to attain engine braking you must shift into sport mode or Tow haul mode.
The owners manual only addresses the issue as it pertains to Tow Haul mode, the rest is observation. My truck is 2WD.
BTW, It is the same with the 6SPD in my TC (except it has no "Tow Haul " mode)

Here is a quote from the manual...
Tow Mode ...
To switch on tow mode, press
the button on the center console
until tow mode is active. The
indicator light illuminates in the instrument
cluster when the system becomes active.
The tow mode feature:
• Moves upshifts to higher engine speeds
to reduce the frequency of
transmission shifting.
• Provides engine braking in all forward