Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Hey John - good call, because you know for sure they don’t have a tire and wheel bucket and will be dragging a gritty RV brush across every single panel.
Just so you know, this really is a nightmare scenario for me.

One of the guys here at work bought a tacoma pro (5k over sticker) and washes it with a bucket of dish soap and a push broom.

He also bought and applied Chinese knockoff "ceramic" coating for the truck... That sh1t nearly made me sick just opening the bottle at arms length...

But, not everyone desires to have beautiful paint...
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 15875

Are there any repercussions with financing for removing a dealer added alarm/tracking/lojack or whatever. If the dealer says they added it to secure financing, then you take it off when you get home, what happens? Can they do anything legally because you removed it?
And why add a 3rd party alarm system? Doesn't the Ranger already have passive anti-theft?
You are assuming this is related to securing financing. It's a sales add on that's highly profitable. Do they have tracking on their lot vehicles for safety? Probably, but as far as I know, this add on is for generating add on revenue.

Skit hjälm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux, Ranger, Landcruiser,
Are there any repercussions with financing for removing a dealer added alarm/tracking/lojack or whatever. If the dealer says they added it to secure financing, then you take it off when you get home, what happens? Can they do anything legally because you removed it?
And why add a 3rd party alarm system? Doesn't the Ranger already have passive anti-theft?
You'd have to read the fine print of your financing contract. There's probably a provision that the buyer won't alter or disable a financed vehicles "safety and security features" while the loan is active.

If removal were contrary to agreement. As a practical matter, it's unlikely a finance company would do much other than send a strong letter demanding the thing be reconnected. Perhaps charge a penalty fee if that were permitted as part of the contract.
But a moot point anyway provided the vehicle is being paid for on time.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 15875

You'd have to read the fine print of the financing contract. There's probably a provision that the buyer won't alter or disable the vehicles "safety and security features".

If removal were contrary to agreement. As a practical matter, it's unlikely a finance company would do much other than send a strong letter demanding the thing be reconnected.
But a moot point anyway provided the vehicle is being paid for on time.
To you point, I would have had to purchase the added security capabilties to be concerned about any contract language as it would be void in my case. They added something that I didn't purchase. I have the email from the GM that I didn't need to purchase this option if I didn't want it. I just didn't know it was already on the vehicle before accepting the deal, nor was it disclosed.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i say screw the fine print friends. your ride your money rip that crap out if you want to. if someone had the time money and good lawyer they could counter for invasion of privacy information / data theft and stalking if it was a female driver. unless the tracking and data service & selling device and process was explained in detail that was understood that means they coerced you into it. these devices are not solely about finance. they collect data. data is gold. fords already collecting and selling plenty and smart devices etc.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
You are assuming this is related to securing financing. It's a sales add on that's highly profitable. Do they have tracking on their lot vehicles for safety? Probably, but as far as I know, this add on is for generating add on revenue.
We special ordered, paid cash ? ? ?, and they still added all the BS after we told them not to . . . and the finance guy is lucky we left the room with him still breathing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15875

i say screw the fine print friends. your ride your money rip that crap out if you want to. if someone had the time money and good lawyer they could counter for invasion of privacy information / data theft and stalking if it was a female driver. unless the tracking and data service & selling device and process was explained in detail that was understood that means they coerced you into it. these devices are not solely about finance. they collect data. data is gold. fords already collecting and selling plenty and smart devices etc.
If it helps, data is the industry I work in and my wife is an attorney. :)
Thats just it.
Even if a vehicle is earmarked to a specific buyer, its still owned by the Dealer when that "safety and security" thing gets added, albeit in a slipshod fashion...
Since its now already included with the vehicle, So what if the GM states a buyer doesn't need to purchase it. It's already included.

No problem if the one in a hundred buyer throws a fit.
Most dealers would happily refund the purchase minus a nominal fee.
They'll easily resell that truck tomorrow to somebody else.
Your English suddenly got better. :)

I just went and checked under the dash. There are no wires exposed whatsoever. It's about as clean as clean can get and have no idea where it's routed. It's that clean and nothing is showing anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, you noticed.
Yes, there were several edits to get that message to read better.
It read better than a number of native speakers....

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
Yep they do - I was just curious what your plans were moving forward now that the mystery is solved. I believe your KARR alarm adds a "vibration" detection function that our alarm doesn't have per the earlier 5granger.com post I linked. Otherwise I'd say you're good to go with the factory alarm.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15875

Yep they do - I was just curious what your plans were moving forward now that the mystery is solved. I believe your KARR alarm adds a "vibration" detection function that our alarm doesn't have per the earlier 5granger.com post I linked. Otherwise I'd say you're good to go with the factory alarm.
Good to know. :thumbsup:

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Hmm, good question and yes, Rangers have a wifi hotspot and when paired with your phone track where you go. And the Ford App has a map to show me where my car is including when I'm miles away, so it must constantly update the Ford servers with where the truck is - phone connected or not.

And the alarm system seems pretty soiid to me on an XL.

I'm not sure how legit it is that they force you to buy a tracking accessory.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15875

Hmm, good question and yes, Rangers have a wifi hotspot and when paired with your phone track where you go. And the Ford App has a map to show me where my car is including when I'm miles away, so it must constantly update the Ford servers with where the truck is - phone connected or not.

And the alarm system seems pretty soiid to me on an XL.

I'm not sure how legit it is that they force you to buy a tracking accessory.
You should be able to opt-out of any PII data collection, in CA at least. We have the CCPA.
Sponsored