Anyone else get laid off in this pandemic?

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
At this point and time I'm glad I still have a job for now. Wish everybody good luck and stay healthy.
Sponsored

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
What we know- people will die with or without underlying conditions- people will lose their jobs and the economic impact will have other tertiary impacts. Our governments and most other nations governments have rarely if ever gone to such measures so quickly or so drastically. Be there for your neighbor, friend or person in need... We are all going to have to help and come together figure something out that allows the least amount of impacts knowing already the choices are hideous at best. Everyone on this forum is a kindred spirit who loves their pickup truck.

We can certainly discuss what is the balance between death and personal losses... Hang in there as best as you can, lend a hand if you are able.

Also wish and pray every night for those who are ill or having economic hardship in these trying times.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I truly wish the best for anyone that gets touched by this, no matter in what capacity. What I think about with this is; will all the testing show this isn't any worse than the flu, with the exception that they still need to find a treatment that works. We forget in a time like this that the numbers are still bad from other things that can affect us. Don't get me wrong, I am not making light of any situation, but the media and social media are really making everything worse. So many people posting and/or sharing false information. I really hope this treatment works to help anyone that this virus gets it's hands on and prevents anymore loss of life. I hope that everyone gets back to work soon without further incidents and life starts looking normal again. Best wishes to all and please be-careful of scams and watch out for those in your lives that you know may be targeted by the scammers.
I can't agree with this more! News and media outlets are drooling at the mouth when it comes to drama and negativity like what is happening right now. That's all they do, and this is why I mostly stopped watching any news a few years back. Just sit back and listen and see how bad everything sounds when the news reports it.

Since the beginning of this corona virus scare, I've been saying that people need to look at the bigger picture. Does anyone know how often someone dies in the US from heart disease? About every 40 seconds someone dies from heart disease, which has a ton of self inflicted causes. Compare to how many have died from corona virus and see which is a bigger deal.

FASRanger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2014 Mustang GT/CS and a 1989 GT Mustang vert.
Occupation
Aerospace Lab Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considered essential to the infrastructure and defense deemed by the department of homeland security... I'm close to retirement (just got my 40 years in) so not too too worried...But this just doesn't seem right????

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Retired and wife is a nurse so no personal worries here. Some talk about millenials, I hired a young man and he is a throwback of sorts, great work ethic and has since promoted to manager. While he was still a courier, we had a district manager visiting and said something about millenials requiring special handling at times when one of my senior 50 something employee spoke up and said hey, we like our millennial. So I think each generation kinda looks down on the following generation and wonders if they will ever make it or get it, whatever that is.
As far as 401 and financials, now is a buying opportunity so up your contribution and watch it grow, I often say 2008 was the best thing that happened to my 401 and I believe this is no different. I do understand if you have lost your job it is impossible to invest but we had a strong economy when this thing started and it could have been much worse especially if the economy was weak.
One last thing, we need to get the hell out of China, our dollars are building 2 strong militaries, ours and theirs and they really do not like us. .

bigDedition

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 1997 Ford F150
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I got lucky.. working from home until further notice, same with the wife.

OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
It's sad to see I'm not the only one, I have an interview lined up for some work, but I'll be trading a 2 mile commute for a significantly longer one. But hey, work is work.

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
you cant just shut down a country!!!

agreed. I think an hope after 14 days of seeing how this is going we will figure out what happens next. We have the advantage of seeing what happened in China an Italy an kinda know what to do an what not to do....there will be riots in the streets if they keep everything closed for more than 3 weeks.
This has already been devastating for many individuals and businesses alike -- and it will get worse.

We're past the point at which it can be contained and there is no way for this to not to not be incredibly painful for tens of millions of Americans and businesses. Without drastic measures, literally millions of Americans will die in a short time just from the virus. Even our best case scenarios are really bad.

Our hospitals only have a tiny fraction of the capacity they need, and treating coronavirus consumes resources needed for every other type of care -- so many people who would otherwise be treated will also die from other causes. Coronavirus also infects health care workers further reducing the capacity to treat.

You've probably heard there are already critical shortages of masks, ventilators, and certain drugs. I work for a health care organization. We have already adopted extreme conservation procedures and these things are all in critical shortage -- and we're still in the very early stages.

All projections I've seen are this will get much worse before it gets better. I would love to be wrong, but in 14 days things will be worse even if we play this smart. If we don't play it smart, it will be much worse with a longer and and even more painful recovery. We really can't hope this one away.

You are right about learning from other countries. Italy, China, and South Korea are all very instructive. Right now, we're on a trajectory that's worse than Italy.

That it's awful, painful, and makes people crazy is not in question. But we can't just make this go away. We've seen nothing like it in our lifetimes, many things are going to change, and no matter how you look at it, we're headed for some really tough times.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm retired so no longer affected by layoffs. I did the contract engineer route where you could be gone any day.
It was the spring break crowd that was partying together on the beaches here in Florida with no thought of getting, or spreading it that pretty much closed the beaches. Some are still open, but all state parks that have beaches are closed. I love the beach but Im staying away until after these kids go home. Unfortunately some will take it back with them.
It's good to hear the president is talking about a gradual re-opening of the economy, hopefully by Easter so hang in there.

Last edited:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Jeez Guys! Sorry to hear that. Last thing ANY ONE needs in these uncertain times is the swift kick in the nutz that a layoff brings. Prayers and Good Vibes going out to all who are impacted. I've been there before and it sucks. Hope all gets better fast!

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
Shutdown our plant Monday, between 2500 -3000 workers. Now we have to file unemployment. We won’t be back up running until the automaker’s are running.

rwjrn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Sorry for all the people getting laid off. Been through that early in my career and it’s really scary and difficult. As an ER nurse my job is pretty secure. Unfortunately with the shortages of proper protective equipment my essential job could get me killed. Hopefully this won’t last too Long and everyone can get back to a normal, healthy and productive life.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in a manufacturing plant that as of yesterday has been deemed non-essential. All manufacturing people went home. None have been laid off at this point though. What's happening now is our upper management is campaigning to get our company moved to the essential category so we could remain open. I believe we will find that out Monday. There's a good chance that will happen, because some of the products we make and service are in the food industry and medical industry.

I actually have a backlog of over a month's worth of work and I will continue to be employed working from home even if the plant shuts down, but if it drags on too long, yeah I could make the canned list.

If it gets to that I'll have to rely on my wife for income, who will be working 60 hours a week just like she was in 2008 and 2009 - in a law office doing bankruptcies.

But I agree with a few of you in this thread - if they drag out the shelter in place thing too long, we're going to be dealing with a worse kind of virus - an economic one the likes of the 1930's.
Sponsored