Anyone else get laid off in this pandemic?

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
I'm a truck driver so I thought I'd be pretty well insulated from all this...but they closed Kohl's and now our drivers from their account are working on our account (Staples) and things are getting tight. I have a good relationship with my boss and she's really taking care of me for now. Somehow Staples lawyered up and magically became an essential business pretty much everywhere, even in PA the police have failed to shut the stores down. I have friends running around the clock 7 days a week delivering food, they just take naps and keep rolling...they're making $3,000 a week and keep offering me a job but I'm too old to run like that anymore and once things settle down I'd be screwed so I'm sticking it out where I am.
Sponsored

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Well I got laid off until such time people can go out fishing again.
I am the writer/reporter for Fishdope.com. Since all the sportfishing fleet in SoCal is shut down until who knows when I am out of work.
I am a 1099 employee. Under normal circumstances self employed people are not eligible for unemployment but the stimulus package just passed by the house is going to allow us 1099er's to collect unemployment. Thank GOD for little insurance.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I work for a large construction and steel fabricator in St Louis Missouri, they are considered an essential business and I am allowed to travel back and forth from Illinois. I go to work and go home and that's it.

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I am an RN and if you can believe it I had my hours cut by 25%. Their reason is decreased volume due to canceled elective surgeries. 2 or 3 weeks fron now when you know what hits the fan where I am they will be expecting me to work mandatory overtime without adequate protection

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I am an RN and if you can believe it I had my hours cut by 25%. Their reason is decreased volume due to canceled elective surgeries. 2 or 3 weeks fron now when you know what hits the fan where I am they will be expecting me to work mandatory overtime without adequate protection
It's that way at our hospital too. I think it's about to hit the fan here in the next week or so. I am not a nurse, but am still able to work at my job at this moment. I hope & pray someone will start producing more PPE and other needed supplies and equipment NOW. Unfortunately, believe it or not, there are some nuts stealing our PPE and alcohol wipes. Who does that?!

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ott-labs-fast-portable-covid-test/2932766001/

The issue we have now is we don't know who has it, except for those that we know are exposed or those that have symptoms. We are still waiting days for test results so it's burning through PPE and adding stress to the work force. a large number of cases that fit the criteria are testing negative and that's great, but that's 3 or 4 days of healthcare workers using PPE and being under stress..

You can test your entire facility now, you can find the people that aren't showing symptoms.

I don't think we will see the hospitals get jammed up, extremely busy yes and in some areas we can get close, but we can and are converting unused space like recovery areas into beds, eliminating elective procedures frees up resources. We will need to move non Covid patients in hot areas to areas that aren't getting hit so hard. We will use Telemedicine for physicians to better protect them and keep them fresh. I worry about the nurses from a fatigue standpoint, but they will better follow COVID guidelines than doctors imo.... which maybe isn't worth much.

I worry more about PPE than vents

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Honda’s
My wife and I are in IT and have worked from home for nearly a decade. Our company provides services to all forms of government so we are deemed essential.

OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
My wife and I are in IT and have worked from home for nearly a decade. Our company provides services to all forms of government so we are deemed essential.
Are they hiring?

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I'm also in health so I feel for you. My job is safe and currently run off my feet, but I'm still not looking forward to the next few months. I must admit whilst always careful, never have I been so obsessive about my PPE. My wife lost her job as an administrator of a sports club. It was a small club and she fears it may or may not, weather the storm.

Australia like most western countries is also in shutdown. Closed state and international borders, businesses shut down, and only essential movement allowed with big fines for getting caught out.
Keep safe guys!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I run the purchasing dept for a regional builder. We are doing better than most. NO layoffs yet. Have a hoop of work in the pipe line. some trade partners & clients are in freak-out mode. Inspections are a challenge. doing a lot of video walks and pix with inspectors now. everything moving forward but slower pace.
We send all non-essential staff home to office remote. My team comes in half days to office and remote the balance of the day. We spread them out to other areas so we are not all in once office.
no way we are giving up!
I'm an old-school cold war era SP, it takes a lot to scare me. Just need to be more vigilant in all activities.

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I don't think we will see the hospitals get jammed up, extremely busy yes and in some areas we can get close, but we can and are converting unused space like recovery areas into beds, eliminating elective procedures frees up resources. We will need to move non Covid patients in hot areas to areas that aren't getting hit so hard.
Effects vary by area. My institution treats COVID-19 patients. The good news is that the curve flattening measures in our state are working and we're treating fewer patients than expected. We've freed up all available resources to treat COVID-19, so we are equipped to treat who comes and anticipate being able to meet future needs. As an added bonus, people staying at home aren't getting in car crashes, shooting each other as much, and getting into other trouble.

This good news on the health front will cause us to lose between $200 and $425 million in the next 15 months -- I never really thought about how dependent we were on other peoples' misfortune for success. Massive pay cuts have already been announced. But that's way better than massive layoffs which was the other alternative.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Ironic isn't it, I work for public heath so for us that's a saving. Which will go some way towards paying for all the extra money spent on Covid-19 related expenses.