First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Doom was one of the first games I actually played. It was a wonderful experience. At one time, we played counter-strike global offensive with friends, it was a great time.
I am pretty sure computer games got me into cars, guns, and gave me good hand eye coordination.
Sponsored

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I started on computers in the early 80s with a Ti-99/4A. Got on the TRS-80s in school and a friends house in the late 80s. Mid 90s I got my first PC. 386 or 486 I don't remember, fairly sure was running DOS 5, then was updated to 6.22 with Windows 3.1. First Pentium was a 133Mhz I think, Windows 95/98SE on that. First laptop was a Pentium 300Mhz (faster than I think the Pentium was released for the desktop since they had moved to Pentium 2 processors about that time, but the slot 1 didn't work well for laptops. First PC I build from parts completely was based on Asus P2B-DS motherboard with a pair of 400Mhz P2 processors and 1GB of ram, 18GB 10k RPM SCSI drive, external raid of SCSI drives was added later for mass storage, pair of Plextor SCSI optical drives (could do 1:1 disk cloning with all errors as needed to get around come copy protection at the time) and the LS-120 3.5"floppy drive (entire Windows 98Se install on a single 120MB floppy disk). It was a multiboot box (Linux, Windows 98SE, BeOS) until Windows XP, and was updated by then to a pair of 600Mhz P3 processors, ATI 128Pro All-in-Wonder 2D card and a pair of 3DFX VooDoo2 (I think 12MB) In SLI. Various computers since then. Just got an old server, HP DL360 G7 with 15k RPM 146GB drives and a pair of Xeon X5650 and 32GB of ECC ram to play with.

Games, I played Doom, but really got in to Quake, played that on the first 3DFX Voodoo card. I don't play games like I did when I was younger though. Too busy with kids for years and now racing stuff. But I want to get into iRacing (or similar), just need to build the sim rig, got the PC for it. X570 board with 5950X 64GB ram, 2x 2TB NVMe drives and RTX 3090FE.

I still have on 5.25" floppies: Windows 1.0 for Zenith systems.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Dereku

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I started on computers in the early 80s with a Ti-99/4A. Got on the TRS-80s in school and a friends house in the late 80s. Mid 90s I got my first PC. 386 or 486 I don't remember, fairly sure was running DOS 5, then was updated to 6.22 with Windows 3.1. First Pentium was a 133Mhz I think, Windows 95/98SE on that. First laptop was a Pentium 300Mhz (faster than I think the Pentium was released for the desktop since they had moved to Pentium 2 processors about that time, but the slot 1 didn't work well for laptops. First PC I build from parts completely was based on Asus P2B-DS motherboard with a pair of 400Mhz P2 processors and 1GB of ram, 18GB 10k RPM SCSI drive, external raid of SCSI drives was added later for mass storage, pair of Plextor SCSI optical drives (could do 1:1 disk cloning with all errors as needed to get around come copy protection at the time) and the LS-120 3.5"floppy drive (entire Windows 98Se install on a single 120MB floppy disk). It was a multiboot box (Linux, Windows 98SE, BeOS) until Windows XP, and was updated by then to a pair of 600Mhz P3 processors, ATI 128Pro All-in-Wonder 2D card and a pair of 3DFX VooDoo2 (I think 12MB) In SLI. Various computers since then. Just got an old server, HP DL360 G7 with 15k RPM 146GB drives and a pair of Xeon X5650 and 32GB of ECC ram to play with.

Games, I played Doom, but really got in to Quake, played that on the first 3DFX Voodoo card. I don't play games like I did when I was younger though. Too busy with kids for years and now racing stuff. But I want to get into iRacing (or similar), just need to build the sim rig, got the PC for it. X570 board with 5950X 64GB ram, 2x 2TB NVMe drives and RTX 3090FE.

I still have on 5.25" floppies: Windows 1.0 for Zenith systems.
Look into BeamNG. Best driving sim I have ever seen. I do not think the game has a purpose. Modifying cars is like the entire Jegs catalog and 4 wheel parts all in one. On top of that you can destroy every part of thr car

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Focus on tons of RAM, a huge SSD, and the best GPU you can afford.

I have a HP Spectre laptop. 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Quad core i7 10th Gen. It's 4 years old already. Out of date technology.

20230224_080122.jpg

Last edited:

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
Age of Empires.
StarCraft
Need for Speed

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
World of tanks, World of Warships but less lately since it lags on my comp/internet connection too much, but mostly have been playing War Thunder.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Yes, I be one of them computer people. More so gaming than technical side.
Like to mod games so I know a little about software like blender.

OP
OP
Dereku

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Yes, I be one of them computer people. More so gaming than technical side.
Like to mod games so I know a little about software like blender.
I like playing other peoples mods. BeamNG is great for modded cars and levels. Big fan of some Crysis mods as well.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Ironically I changed from PC gaming to console gaming.

I was big into PC gaming, always had a great rig. But at one point something clicked and I just got sick of it. I got tired of the endless video card upgrades, the configuring to get games to run well, and it seemed like the fast new computer I had 6 months ago, well a hot new game comes out that only runs at 15 frames per second. Screw that.

Now I have a PS5. Games are made for my system - rather than having my system made for games. Every single game will run perfect without worry and without configuration issues throughout it's lifespan, and not to mention, console hardware has done well in comparison to PC games today.

I still like PC's, but in a different way. Now none of my PC's have a GPU. So they can be small, cool and cheap but still otherwise fast. Here's my current MiniPC next to my old 7 fan cooled overclocked behemoth. I don't miss that noisy pain in the ass piece of shit. Life is easier now.

Old_vs_new-1.jpg

New PC is a AMD Ryzen 5 with super fast NVMe ssd, tons of DDR4 memory, (4) 4K HDMI monitor outputs, Wifi 6B, and it's just tiny and quiet. It even has Vesa mounts so it can bolt to the back of a monitor and you don't even see it.

Deathloop_speakers.jpg

The gaming side of the man cave. The computing side is a bunch of monitors on the other wall though strangely, one of the monitor outputs of my PC runs to the big screen on this side of the room. The PC is also an 8 TB media server. Kinda neat having 3 computer screens and just putting whatever I want on each one - A movie, Spotify, a picture, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited: