First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I saw that Livernois had a update, so I wondered if the Ford tune also had a update, (the Ford tune is a Livernois product, or maybe not) so I go in and I see a update is available, I update it, load it in, drive it, I'm thinking it's shifting better.
I go on a long road trip, I'm running 80-90 mph, I do a full throttle downshift and it slammed so hard it felt like I had been rear ended, I had it happen again and again to the point I was trying to avoid a full throttle downshift.
I switch to S mode, it seemed better.
So I'm hoping it was just going through it's relearning process because it settled down after 1000 miles, but it was so violent, I thought it was strong enough to break something.
It did not do it at higher speeds, or lower speeds, only in the 80-90 mph range, especially at 85 mph.
I do have to say this truck is incredible, when it comes to passing on the highway, it accelerates so well when it's already going 85 mph, surprised the crap out of many vehicles.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I stand corrected, but do you know that Ford wrote it? or did Livernois write as per Ford specs, either way, I just wanted to toss the question out there, it shocked the s#!t out of me the first time it happened, I thought "that felt like full line pressure" but I don't actually know if this trans operates like that, the older transmissions Ford built did.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I stand corrected, but do you know that Ford wrote it? or did Livernois write as per Ford specs, either way, I just wanted to toss the question out there, it shocked the s#!t out of me the first time it happened, I thought "that felt like full line pressure" but I don't actually know if this trans operates like that, the older transmissions Ford built did.
Everything I've read says that Ford wrote the tune. Although Ford Performance has used 3rd party tunes in the past from Mountune.

Not sure on the shifts. But I do know that when you flash most tunes it restarts the trans "adaptive learning program." And that generally takes about 1k miles to settle in.

Also, check your tranny fluid. Hard shifts can be an indicator it's low.

Hard shifts are better for your transmission than soft shifts as well.

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, Ford Motorsport often has a Mfg produce stuff with the Ford logo, they toss in minor changes to make it their own.

correct on the firm shift being better on the clutches, but this was way beyond that, it would not surprise me if it damaged a sprague or a planetary gear, I wished I had my Gopro and clamp to see how the pinon moved around.

I actually looked in the rear view mirror when it first banged.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Yes, Ford Motorsport often has a Mfg produce stuff with the Ford logo, they toss in minor changes to make it their own.

correct on the firm shift being better on the clutches, but this was way beyond that, it would not surprise me if it damaged a sprague or a planetary gear, I wished I had my Gopro and clamp to see how the pinon moved around.

I actually looked in the rear view mirror when it first banged.
That's concerning.

I'd check my fluid level ASAP.

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I doubt it's the fluid level, it started when I updated it, but the one thing I have come to learn is you just never know until you check.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Everything I've read says that Ford wrote the tune. Although Ford Performance has used 3rd party tunes in the past from Mountune.

Not sure on the shifts. But I do know that when you flash most tunes it restarts the trans "adaptive learning program." And that generally takes about 1k miles to settle in.

Also, check your tranny fluid. Hard shifts can be an indicator it's low.

Hard shifts are better for your transmission than soft shifts as well.
Yes, Mountune is associated with Ford Racing.

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Those Mountune guys are cool, Costhworth escapees, smart group, they did durability testing on a prototype midget engine I built when I was at Honda, unfortunately it had trouble making the distance.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I saw that Livernois had a update, so I wondered if the Ford tune also had a update, (the Ford tune is a Livernois product, or maybe not) so I go in and I see a update is available, I update it, load it in, drive it, I'm thinking it's shifting better.
How did you know the tune was updated? Everytime I plug in the ProCal and click on the update button it goes through a routine like it was updating but I do not see anything in the tune file name that would indicate it was updated. It has updated the updater software a couple of times but not the actual tune file that I can tell.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I doubt it's the fluid level, it started when I updated it, but the one thing I have come to learn is you just never know until you check.
True, but as you said, you never know.

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pro Cal said I had a update when I plugged the tuner into my laptop.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Pro Cal said I had a update when I plugged the tuner into my laptop.
I got that message a month or so ago and it updated the updater software on my PC to version 2.88.

What is the file name of the tune in the ProCal unit?

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)