First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
Picked up my used 2021 last August and friends kept asking me how I liked the annoying start/stop feature. I never noticed it. I wasn't until 2 months later, after killing Bambi, that I found the previous owner had disconnected that harness connection at the battery.
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
You are drawing power doing it this way. Maybe not much, but BMS is already minimizing your battery charge to 75%. Every little bit helps. Why weaken further what is already a marginal charging system.
That is why I am using a very small adaptor. Some people use a nightlight.

Brianj67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Firefighter
That is why I am using a very small adaptor. Some people use a nightlight.
This is from an old RC helicopter that no longer works. I don't know what the draw would be not plugged into anything but I'll investigate. I did try Forscan but I think I need to wander into the As Built codes for it to actually work. The disable in the other area didn't seem to work but it was my first foray into Forscan.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
So , just to put all options to disable A.S.S. in one easy to compare spot :

Option #1 is simply to press the damn button every time you start the truck. Of course you may forget due to the other buttons you have to press. Start button , check. Stereo on ,check. Cruise control on , check. Drive mode , check. Headlights in manual mode , check. etc. Tower clearance for takeoff, check.

Option #2 Learn to use Forscan correctly to change AsBuilt codes being careful not to brick your BCM in the process.

Option #3 Purchase aftermarket A.S.S. delete module .

Option #4 Plug a nightlight into AC outlet and let inverter run all the time while gaining rear seat ambient lighting at the same time,

Option #5 Disconnect Battery Management wire at battery so that the gel battery gets charged at 100% whether it needs it or not. You'll know it's good and charged when it explodes.

Option #6 I know I'm probably missing something here.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Option #4 Plug a nightlight into AC outlet and let inverter run all the time while gaining rear seat ambient lighting at the same time,

I would guess an old light duty ac/dc adaptor with no load (cord cut off) would draw as much or less as a nightlight.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
This is from an old RC helicopter that no longer works. I don't know what the draw would be not plugged into anything but I'll investigate. I did try Forscan but I think I need to wander into the As Built codes for it to actually work. The disable in the other area didn't seem to work but it was my first foray into Forscan.
And that expensive ASS disabler has got to draw some current.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED

Option #1 is simply to press the damn button every time you start the truck. Of course you may forget due to the other buttons you have to press. Start button , check. Stereo on ,check. Cruise control on , check. Drive mode , check. Headlights in manual mode , check. etc. Tower clearance for takeoff, check.

Option #2 Learn to use Forscan correctly to change AsBuilt codes being careful not to brick your BCM in the process.

Option #3 Purchase aftermarket A.S.S. delete module .

Option #5 Disconnect Battery Management wire at battery so that the gel battery gets charged at 100% whether it needs it or not. You'll know it's good and charged when it explodes.

Option #7 My Livernois tune disables it.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
"Option #5 Disconnect Battery Management wire at battery so that the gel battery gets charged at 100% whether it needs it or not. You'll know it's good and charged when it explodes."

Option 5 simply reverts to Ford Standard Charging prior to ASS implementation. It does not overcharge your battery any more than the 4G Rangers do. My 2005 Ranger is on its third battery in 19 years, and it was replaced 18 months ago. The last 2 have been AGM.

I got a laugh at your humor! :crackup:

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
"Option #5 Disconnect Battery Management wire at battery so that the gel battery gets charged at 100% whether it needs it or not. You'll know it's good and charged when it explodes."

Option 5 simply reverts to Ford Standard Charging prior to ASS implementation. It does not overcharge your battery any more than the 4G Rangers do. My 2005 Ranger is on its third battery in 19 years, and it was replaced 18 months ago. The last 2 have been AGM.

I got a laugh at your humor! :crackup:
A good dose of hyperbole was thrown in as reference to what has been previously posted in these discussions . Personally I used ForScan and it was a simple checkbox for A.S.S. On or off :)

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired

#4 The inverter somehow senses a load before it gets powered up?
#6 me too

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Yup ..but only once is necessary ..:like:

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Only once every time you start your truck...

"Just push the button .. Every time . Again & again & again"

DenyBlueXL

First Name
Deny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Occupation
None
Just found on Autoevolution that if you push the Stop/Start button 120 times you can disable the Stop/Start permanently.
So glad chip shortage and my 2022 Start/Stop was deleted by the factory & they gave me $50. discount!
Sponsored