Any owners with real world fuel economy feedback?

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I've been playing around with it here and there...using tow mode to change up how it shifts and such...with no load of course it doesn't affect the economy in a noticeable amount. I am still driving it as I did when I rolled off the lot a bit over 10k miles ago and pen and paper mileage is 22-23 with the screen showing about 24.2 mpg.
Sponsored

Batman62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former 1998 Ranger owner, 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I’ve got 8900 miles on my 2020 Lariet, crew cab. I’ve been using 91-93 octane gas and have been getting 24.5 to 25.5 driving 70 plus miles per hour. I have been using the gallons in and miles driven to get my averages not the computer. I drive 120 miles per day. Love the truck except the hard shifting transmission.

Last edited:

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Ashley, I live in NC and we travel to MB often. I find going south I get better mpg's than I do going back to North Carolina. And, that true on all of my vehicles. That's strange to me. The wife says it's because when you're going south it's downhill, and going north it's up. She's so funny. :)

BTW, my Ranger is on order, and hasn't arrived yet. Talking to my friends that have EcoBoost engines they tell me there's sweet spot that gets more mpgs. That's finding the spot where you stay out of the "boost" when starting from a dead stop. Have you found that to be true?
Exactly - as I drove the Ranger more and more I learned the engine. There is a spot (based on traffic/pedal/load) where I can pull away with being "in boost" as little as possible. I've gotten fairly used to how to start out and let the engine pull and transmission do it's thing. If i want anything more, just mash the pedal or use sport mode! :)

I can drive my 87 and tell you what speed we are travelling just by the hum of the engine within 2 mph I've had that truck so long LOL

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Exactly - as I drove the Ranger more and more I learned the engine. There is a spot (based on traffic/pedal/load) where I can pull away with being "in boost" as little as possible. I've gotten fairly used to how to start out and let the engine pull and transmission do it's thing. If i want anything more, just mash the pedal or use sport mode! :)

I can drive my 87 and tell you what speed we are travelling just by the hum of the engine within 2 mph I've had that truck so long LOL
I know exactly what you mean. I have my Dad's old '67 Camaro, and I'm the same. And, I know you can also, just by the sound of the engine, tell if anything's wrong. New vehicles are to quiet these days to try that. :)

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I’ve got 8900 miles on my 2020 Lariet, crew cab. I’ve been using 91-93 octane gas and have been getting 24.5 to 25.5 driving 70 plus miles per hour. I drive 120 miles per day. Love the truck except the hard shifting transmission.
My wife's '18 Mustang 10 spd suffered them same thing. I finally had enough, and took it to the dealer. The service writer had the tranny reprogrammed, and it was like a night and day. It's actually fun to drive again. Maybe you could try that. You never know. Good luck.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's '18 Mustang 10 spd suffered them same thing. I finally had enough, and took it to the dealer. The service writer had the tranny reprogrammed, and it was like a night and day. It's actually fun to drive again. Maybe you could try that. You never know. Good luck.
When I hear hard shifting transmissions it always makes me wonder - this 10 speed is one of the SMOOTHEST shifting transmissions I've ever had. I could see people complaining about the shifts not being quick enough, but if it is a HARD shift and you haven't tuned it, I'd take it back to the dealer - it does not seem to be representative of the transmission - or at least my experience with it.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I average 18 to 17mpg on factory installed 2.5" level and 33" AT tires. This is with setting the cruise control to 70mph on a 40 mile round trip down the interstate in my area. I average about the same in town babying the throttle. I run 91 gas whenever I fill up.
our data point:

8k miles on the odometer, stock truck/tires with correct tire pressure. 90% highway. 70mph cruise control. we have a topper, plus about 300-400 lbs of stuff in the bed, and another 150 or so in the cab plus driver/passenger. i calculate using the odometer and gas station gas volume (i dont trust the dash calcs).

four tanks of 85 octane: 22.6 mpg average
four tanks of 89 octane: 22.2 mpg average

in general i would guess the calculated mpg on the dash runs about 1 mpg higher than true mpg as i calculate it.

Deuce

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
14,700 miles, Lariat, FX4, SuperCrew, I just drove back from WV to Virginia Beach, 340 miles at 74 mph and averaged 26.7 mpg.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
14,700 miles, Lariat, FX4, SuperCrew, I just drove back from WV to Virginia Beach, 340 miles at 74 mph and averaged 26.7 mpg.
Was that downhill with a stiff tailwind? Ours gets 20.5 mpg at 75 mph on 91 octane fuel and the truck empty.

Last edited:

Deuce

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
It is downhill. On the way to WV I only average about 23.8.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Only a month old with 3200 Kms. Mixed driving, bikes and Kayaks mounted on rack. Been getting 24-25 Mpg/Imp the whole time. ( 11-12L/100km )
Could you post some pictures of your truck? I would like to see more of your graphics. Thanks! :)

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
22mpg's on 33's and 93 octane. I have a 60 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. Big thing to getting good gas millage with a turbo vehicle, is to only rely on the turbo when you really need it..... aka Take it easy on the skinny pedal.

Martyd

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL,2018 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
retired
First fill up, 87 octane, 22 mpg calculated and 23.1 computer. Two wheel drive around town truck, about 75 mi highway this time.

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I average 21.7 on a 66 mile daily. I only have 2000 miles on it. Nice weather the next few days, so I’m driving the Mustang. It gets 25. (2020 GT)

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase