First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
My dumb question (please be gentle), what type of coolant should I use for my early 22 Ranger? The coolant color in the reservoir looks light lime color. Bought the truck in Texas but where I live now temp often goes -10℉. Should I use full concentration or diluted? Thanks in advance.
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the 22 Ranger uses Ford yellow coolant like my 19 does.

I would go to the dealership and buy the prediluted ( the one on the right)if you're not very confident in your mechanical abilities yet. No need to mix.
Motorcraft_Coolant_2160x1440.jpg.renditions.original.png
Sponsored

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
As for the OPs original post, if you suspect an external leak and want to troubleshoot that yourself, you might want to add some UV dye and get a UV light. We use this technique on the hydraulic systems at my place of work. we use a dye that's compatible with oil but its the same principle.
add the dye, drive the truck for a couple days or so in dry weather then use the UV light anywhere you suspect leakage.
I'm attaching a link to a dye that might be compatible, but I'd check with a qualified mechanic before adding anything foreign to your coolant system.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...d-coolant-leak-detector-uv-dye-1oz/667633_0_0

OP
OP
DRVMN

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
As for the OPs original post, if you suspect an external leak and want to troubleshoot that yourself, you might want to add some UV dye and get a UV light. We use this technique on the hydraulic systems at my place of work. we use a dye that's compatible with oil but its the same principle.
add the dye, drive the truck for a couple days or so in dry weather then use the UV light anywhere you suspect leakage.
I'm attaching a link to a dye that might be compatible, but I'd check with a qualified mechanic before adding anything foreign to your coolant system.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...d-coolant-leak-detector-uv-dye-1oz/667633_0_0
That's what I had done at my last oil change. The Ford technician added dye to the cooling system and then two weeks later I had my appointment. The system was pressure checked for an hour, and they drove the truck 20 miles and pressure checked and found no coolant leak. No dye was found either. I was also thinking if the coolant reservoir cap was bad, I'd have coolant leaking around the overflow tank. It's clean as can be there too.

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
How does one check the egr cooler/valve to see if it is bad? My ranger has 83k on it and is a little low on coolant but it isn't leaking externally or into the oil (I check the dipstick every fuel fill up). No leaks in the cab either from what I can smell. The level hasn't been dropping either from what I can tell. I may just swap it out if its a quick and easy job as the part is only $80 online.

As for the coolant, mine appears to be pinkish in color so I presume it was red or orange at one point. Is yellow the new latest and greatest that Ford recommends?

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Orange was used on early 19 Rangers. Yellow on later 19 Rangers and on. According to the notes I've attached, Yellow can be mixed with orange.
From what the sticker says in my driver door area, it was manufactured January of 2019. There are no records that the coolant has been changed before I bought it last summer so I'll have the coolant flushed soon since my trusted shop will do it for $100. No idea why it looks pinkish unless its somehow mixing with trans fluid.....

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Orange was used on early 19 Rangers. Yellow on later 19 Rangers and on. According to the notes I've attached, Yellow can be mixed with orange.
Glad you posted. Owners manual said orange but it looked yellow to me. Would have just followed the manual if I hadn't seen this.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
From what the sticker says in my driver door area, it was manufactured January of 2019. There are no records that the coolant has been changed before I bought it last summer so I'll have the coolant flushed soon since my trusted shop will do it for $100. No idea why it looks pinkish unless its somehow mixing with trans fluid.....
I wonder if someone added yellow coolant to the orange and it became a lighter color?

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
I wonder if someone added yellow coolant to the orange and it became a lighter color?
Couldn’t tell you. I’m planning on calling the shop I use to do a bunch of maintenance stuff anyhow including a coolant flush has my Ranger now has almost 85k on it

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Couldn’t tell you. I’m planning on calling the shop I use to do a bunch of maintenance stuff anyhow including a coolant flush has my Ranger now has almost 85k on it
The orange coolant can look yellowish to reddish orange to almost pink depending on the manufacturer.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Mines been actually been below the low mark since I took delivery two years ago.

Never touched it.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Mine is a 21 with just over 25k. I had to had a pint or more. It’s normal to “lose” a little because it evaporates.
I know that is an older post in this thread, but "normal due to evaporation" does not apply to these newer sealed systems with expansion tanks. That logic was OK when there was a vented overflow tank that was often getting hot fluid pumped into it and that sucked out as the system cooled. The cap should only be venting air, and only if the system has reached excessively high pressures, but unless your truck is upside down (resulting in fluid getting pushed out of the cap) when that happens it should not result in a noticeable change in the fluid level.

Michael7571

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash Edition
I had the same issue at 23k miles. I heard flushing sounds in the dash when I turned the truck on. I saw the tank was 3/4 of an inch below min level. No leaks that I could see, nothing on the driveway. When I went to add coolant I noticed the cap was loose. The dealership does my oil changes and not sure if they touched the tank’s cap or not. I added coolant and made sure the cap was on tight. Watch levels weekly and looking good.
Sponsored