Another transmission thread (yay)

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have even reloaded a tune and had perfect shifts for months for it to come back later if something changed in the way I drove, the weather, etc. Crazy. If you search in the Mustang and F-150 forums you will see that no matter the tuner (if tuned) or stock, that this can be the case. Some have constant issues though.

I really think I have it nailed down as far as I can tuning wise and now it is just the transmission itself as I mentioned above.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lt. Dan

Lt. Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I want to share my experience with the exact same issue.

Leaving the neighborhood doing between 25-30mph it would shift up to 4th just fine then it would act like it wanted to shift to 5th but wouldn't. After bucking a bit it would finally clunk in to 5th.

I took it in to my local dealership for a warranty check. The were able to reproduce the problem (YAY!) and decided to rebuild the valve body and reset the adaptive learning tables.

I get it back and shifting is HORRENDOUS. Where 1-3 would be unnoticeable before it was now jolting me forward and giving me whiplash with every shift. I quickly returned to the dealership and after driving in the vehicle with the shop foreman I was told "That's normal. My F150 does that too. It needs 1000 miles to re-learn". I was firm that this was not desirable but took possession of the vehicle. The shifting was terrible and it felt weak. There just wasn't as much power as before and it was a nightmare to drive.

The night I got it back I thought to myself "Well, if they just cleared the tables I can at least try clearing them again and see what happens". Popped out my laptop and loaded up Forscan and cleared the tables in 30 seconds. Took it for a test drive and BOOM! Everything was PERFECT.

So after they rebuilt the valve body it cleared up the 4th-5th issue. After I cleared the tables it made shifting like butter again and the truck is soo fun to drive again.

Hopefully this is useful or just good to know for someone :)
Appreciate you sharing this info!

Hopefully they're able to clear the tables properly, but I've got Forscan on standby if I need to do it afterwards.

Out of curiosity, how long ago did you have this service done? I'm hoping this takes care of the issue, but not knowing whether these new valves are a revised part, I worry with all the other transmission issues I've read about here that the problem could come back later on in life as well...

TheRealJawg

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Appreciate you sharing this info!

Hopefully they're able to clear the tables properly, but I've got Forscan on standby if I need to do it afterwards.

Out of curiosity, how long ago did you have this service done? I'm hoping this takes care of the issue, but not knowing whether these new valves are a revised part, I worry with all the other transmission issues I've read about here that the problem could come back later on in life as well...
I had the original service done back in early December of 2022. So, it's been about 3 months now since they rebuilt the valve body.

Luckily no issues have come up and luckily i still have just under 2 years left on the powertrain warranty if something else does come up.

Whether or not the transmission would have "re-learned" or not was sort of irrelevant at the time I got it back because the shifting was so horrible that I was ready to sell the truck. So I've started from a new baseline and don't plan on resetting the tables again so it has ample time to do it's learning.

EDIT: OH! And just an FYI I only have 15,800 miles on this 2019.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I had the original service done back in early December of 2022. So, it's been about 3 months now since they rebuilt the valve body.

Luckily no issues have come up and luckily i still have just under 2 years left on the powertrain warranty if something else does come up.

Whether or not the transmission would have "re-learned" or not was sort of irrelevant at the time I got it back because the shifting was so horrible that I was ready to sell the truck. So I've started from a new baseline and don't plan on resetting the tables again so it has ample time to do it's learning.

If you don't mind share where you did this in forscan so that we can give it a try. Although the some hand held tuners can do an adaptive table clear, maybe a more direct approach might work better. It's worth some experimentation.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

15K? How many miles in those 3 months?

TheRealJawg

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
15K? How many miles in those 3 months?
!!DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
In FORScan for resetting the tables you go to "Service Functions" (the little wrench) and the first option is "PCM - Clear Transmission Adaptive Tables". That's what I ran to clear up the shifting issue.

As far as the mileage - I've only put ~650 of those on since the service was completed.

I work from home and have 2 vehicles so I don't rack up a whole lot on either of them.

Edit: added disclaimer.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I want to share my experience with the exact same issue.

Leaving the neighborhood doing between 25-30mph it would shift up to 4th just fine then it would act like it wanted to shift to 5th but wouldn't. After bucking a bit it would finally clunk in to 5th.

I took it in to my local dealership for a warranty check. The were able to reproduce the problem (YAY!) and decided to rebuild the valve body and reset the adaptive learning tables.

I get it back and shifting is HORRENDOUS. Where 1-3 would be unnoticeable before it was now jolting me forward and giving me whiplash with every shift. I quickly returned to the dealership and after driving in the vehicle with the shop foreman I was told "That's normal. My F150 does that too. It needs 1000 miles to re-learn". I was firm that this was not desirable but took possession of the vehicle. The shifting was terrible and it felt weak. There just wasn't as much power as before and it was a nightmare to drive.

The night I got it back I thought to myself "Well, if they just cleared the tables I can at least try clearing them again and see what happens". Popped out my laptop and loaded up Forscan and cleared the tables in 30 seconds. Took it for a test drive and BOOM! Everything was PERFECT.

So after they rebuilt the valve body it cleared up the 4th-5th issue. After I cleared the tables it made shifting like butter again and the truck is soo fun to drive again.

Hopefully this is useful or just good to know for someone :)
How do clear up the table with Forscan exactly?

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Not to jinx it, but my transmission has shifted pretty smoothly for what it is and I'm close to 15k miles now. I almost always just put it in drive and just go. This past weekend, I decided to go explore the mountains for a few hours and used sport mode and manually shifted for a while to maximize engine braking. I had several rough shifts, but they weren't repeatable as it seemed to learn as I drove. When I later switched back to drive after an hour or so, it initially shifted roughly again and then smoothed out after another 25 miles or so and has been smooth in drive ever since. For those that are having the shifting issues regularly, are you switching back and forth between drive and sport mode frequently?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
!!DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
In FORScan for resetting the tables you go to "Service Functions" (the little wrench) and the first option is "PCM - Clear Transmission Adaptive Tables". That's what I ran to clear up the shifting issue.

As far as the mileage - I've only put ~650 of those on since the service was completed.

I work from home and have 2 vehicles so I don't rack up a whole lot on either of them.

Edit: added disclaimer.
Not many miles, be aware it could still pop up after 1000 or so miles.

That process is exactly what the tuners clear. Good info for those who do not have a tuning device capable of doing this. It does help, but some systemic problems do usually come back. It seems 50-50 for some people if it works at all though. I think you saw that after the dealership did it and nothing improved, but you did it again yourself and saw it finally reset like it was supposed to. I have encountered the same thing with tuning over the years. You can load a tune, drive it and something seems amiss, and then go and reload it and all is fine. Software can be finicky.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So, I just turned 1000 miles since my last tune revision where I worked with Torrie at Unleashed more on the shifting (This is the latest revision that many of you are trying I believe. Basically normal mode has tow mode shift points and sport mode firmness and quickness without the excessive engine braking of the two. The sport mode firmness/quickness are across the board with all modes as well.). I have been very dilligent with how I drive during that time to try to overcome Ford's adaptive strategy of picking the worst of our driving habits to base its shift strategy on instead of the best. I ran it with traction control/advance trac off as this seems to make a difference and I locked out any gears I did not need in given situations to force it to learn my way.

I can report that for two weeks now, with weather patterns ranging from 70 degree days to 30's and snowing, that I have not had any abnormal cold/first shifts in any gears, especially the ones that cause people the most trouble (3-4 and 4-5). This with varying warm up times from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Shifting up and down in all situations have been perfect.

I am not sure if this is something that actually worked or not, but in my experience my process helped. It may have worked with me just driving normally and it is all attributed to the tune revision I worked on with Torrie. I just thought, for experimentation's sake, that I would try to do things differently to get the adaptive algorithm to follow my lead for once.

Fingers crossed. Worked hard on this...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lt. Dan

Lt. Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Update: Got the truck back yesterday. According to the invoice, they overhauled the valve body, and replaced the separator plate and retainers. They cleared the transmission adaptive tables and warned me that it would need to be driven further to relearn transmission engagements. I definitely noticed this right away because the shifting was definitely harsh, but seemed to settle in the more I drove.

I was able to take it through my normal 30 minute commute this morning and evening, and did some driving in between as well. It seems to have settled down, but I have still noticed a couple of instances of harsh shifting, specifically the 3-4-5 range (the issue with reverse being harsh seems to have gone away). Not sure how long it takes to fully relearn the engagements, but I'm considering trying the "Clear Tranmission Adaptive Tables" option in Forscan to see if it cleans things up like it did for @TheRealJawg .

Also, I didn't see it shown in the thread for known TSBs for the Ranger, but in case anyone needs this info, the TSB they found for replacing the valve body is TSB 22-2139 according to the invoice they gave me.

TLDR: Seems better, but not perfect. If I end up running the "Clear Adaptive Tables" Forscan option, I'll report back and let y'all know whether or not it helps.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Thanks Dan. I’m right at 37k and similar problems with you. Might have to ask them to check my transmission valves. Except mine likes to hang in really low speed as well. Like 1-10mph slow pressure will make it feel “laggy” when I apply throttle. Please update if the valve change fixes everything. It’s been really bugging me but waiting for more data to bring to the dealership.
i had the valve body changed out on mine a few weeks ago. shifted better for short time but did not fix anything. first shift picking it up at the dealer was back to its old self with the lag and thud. dealer told me to drive 500 to 1000. did the 500 and it was getting worse they said 1000 so i did 500 more. worse now than before lol. going back next week. however, do not let my info ruin it for you. my truck came from the factory over a quart low on transmission fluid. verified by the dealer. i drove it 26k miles low on fluid not knowing. id bet a donut that if it had the correct amount of fluid from new and they did the pcm change and valve body it would be working great now. i think the lack of fluid was the main problem in my case.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
i had the valve body changed out on mine a few weeks ago. shifted better for short time but did not fix anything. first shift picking it up at the dealer was back to its old self with the lag and thud. dealer told me to drive 500 to 1000. did the 500 and it was getting worse they said 1000 so i did 500 more. worse now than before lol. going back next week. however, do not let my info ruin it for you. my truck came from the factory over a quart low on transmission fluid. verified by the dealer. i drove it 26k miles low on fluid not knowing. id bet a donut that if it had the correct amount of fluid from new and they did the pcm change and valve body it would be working great now. i think the lack of fluid was the main problem in my case.
Thanks for the info Mark. I don't have as crazy issues as other has noted. I think mine is just normal stop n go traffic type driving. Never really done much stop n go with the truck and I went on a few longer (20 min) drives and it was running like a charm. Fingers crossed. Hope you get your issues resolved.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired

Pretty good video on the 10sp transmission.
Appears this is an overseas Ranger but the same transmission? I'm not 100% sure

OP
OP
Lt. Dan

Lt. Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Interesting video, he talks about a transmission with a combined design from Ford and GM, which the 10R80 was, so it definitely seems to be the same one we have over here as well.

Sadly after putting over 1000 miles on my truck, I'm still experiencing the same issues I was having before the valve body replacement at the dealership. At this point I'm thinking I may take it back to the dealership and have them take another look. It says they cleared the adaptive tables, but based on the dashcam footage from my truck, I don't know that they went through the relearning procedure described in the video.

I'll mention all of this to them, but if the dealership can't get it sorted out, I may try the relearning procedure myself to see what happens. I'm about to change jobs for one with a longer commute, so definitely wanting to get this resolved soon...
Sponsored