First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, I have been driving turbo charged 4cyl vehicles as my daily drivers continuously since 1985 and all of them have been tuned. The exception of my two Mustangs and the Ranger all of them had well over 100k miles on them, several had mid 200,000s on them. Total accumulated miles is approximately 3/4 of a million miles.

I have never had an internal engine or turbo failure on any of them. My oil change interval on all of them has been 7500 miles.

Even my 68 Barracuda recommends 6000 mile oil change intervals in the owners manual.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
If the engineers are swayed by marketing on oil changes then they are swayed on everything. The whole truck is compromised, you better get rid of it quick.

Maybe the marketing dept. of the dampner requested cheeper materials. No need to make them last that long because the weak people who have them will probably not open their tailgate many times anyway. LOL

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
If the engineers are swayed by marketing on oil changes then they are swayed on everything. The whole truck is compromised, you better get rid of it quick.

Maybe the marketing dept. of the dampner requested cheeper materials. No need to make them last that long because the weak people who have them will probably not open their tailgate many times anyway. LOL
I have been an engineer for over 45 years. Engineering is all about finding the best compromise for all of the competing requirements that must be met.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
My first one is this Wednesday, right at 3000, I also complained about the tranny so I assume they will at least check the fluid ... I'm all short trips ,so after the first , every 5000 methinks...

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
If Ford uses break in oil like Honda does, you do not want to change it early, I tried to figure this out but no luck.
Some vehicles can use synthetic from day one, others need the dino oil, or simi dino oil to seat the rings in properly.

I wonder how this oil question is going to go over?

I wonder if all the people with high fuel in the oil, changed the oil early? or switched to full synthetic early?

Ha, couldn't resist, who knows, but ring sealing is about more than just the oil, but the oil can have an effect.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Every 5,000, at Ford Quick Lane.

The common excuse for changing oil sooner than the Ford Engineers recommend is, it is cheap insurance. It is not cheap nor is it insurance. Alot of you are basically saying that you are smarter than the Ford Engineers. LOL O, well I bet that you will not change your mind or oil according to scientific facts.
If or when you have fuel in oil problems, YOU will change your mind. More frequent oil changes eliminates that problem.

Can you spot the error in the ScareCrow's recital even after he gets the diploma?... :giggle:
He said isosceles triangle, when it should be right triangle

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
If Ford uses break in oil like Honda does, you do not want to change it early, I tried to figure this out but no luck.
Some vehicles can use synthetic from day one, others need the dino oil, or simi dino oil to seat the rings in properly.

I wonder how this oil question is going to go over?

I wonder if all the people with high fuel in the oil, changed the oil early? or switched to full synthetic early?

Ha, couldn't resist, who knows, but ring sealing is about more than just the oil, but the oil can have an effect.
Referencing my Blackstone report and others on this forum and elsewhere, Ford is not using break-in oil on any of the 5g Rangers. It looks like their plain 5w30 synthetic blend according the the numbers.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I missed the oil sample on the first oil change, since then it's been blackstone testing every change.

It would not surprise me if they used regular Motorcraft on assembly, break in oil is more expensive and it probably is not needed.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm all for a break in oil change. However after that, its all speculation unless you are sending your samples to Blackstone. I would put money that 99% of people do not need to change their oil at a 3-5k interval. 5-10k is probably fine with quality oil and filter. If you really want the right interval, send your sample off and see what they say.

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'm all for a break in oil change. However after that, its all speculation unless you are sending your samples to Blackstone. I would put money that 99% of people do not need to change their oil at a 3-5k interval. 5-10k is probably fine with quality oil and filter. If you really want the right interval, send your sample off and see what they say.
Only true if only 1% of Rangers have oil dilution issues. My gut tells me it is much higher. All Ranger owners should get at least one oil analysis done to verify that they don't have an oil dilution issue.
Sponsored