Android Auto, phone/dash integration

TxRanger386

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I apologize if this has already been answered. I tried to use the search function first, and got some results, but they all seem to be from a year or two ago. With the software updates by Android and Ford, I assume we're really talking about completely problems now, than whatever was going on a year ago.

Is anyone having trouble with call history on the right-hand screen of the dash? I used to be able to see actual calls listed under the Phone menu. All Calls, Incoming Calls, Missed Calls, etc.

As of a couple months ago, whenever I try to go through my call history via the dash screen, I just get "OK" as the only option.

Also, when I connect my phone via Bluetooth, not the plug-in USB, the title of what I'm playing stays the same, even as the song/track changes. (I listen to mostly podcasts. The title of the episode I'm listening to when I first connect via Bluetooth will show up in the main screen/console. But after that episode is over, the audio will switch to the next track, but the screen still shows the original title.)

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
mine does the same as yours, i dont think android auto runs well at all not plugged into the truck. half the apps only work when plugged. i noticed recently auto seems slower than it used to be. i think an update took place recently. you might try checking your an auto settings are matching with the ford settings in the truck. i went through menus for a while before finally giving up, deleting android auto and then re installing and syncing phone as new. then when back to settings to make changes to the defaults i didnt want.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
First thing, android auto does not work in our trucks unless pluged in to one of the usb ports under the dash. AA does not work over bluetooth. Only thing you can do over bluetooth is answer phone calls, texts and listen to music saved to your phone. There are adaptors that will ad wireless AA, but it is not built in.

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
@Big Blue is 100000% correct. None of the issues described by @TxRanger386 or @9zero1790 are Android auto features. The apps that are available over Bluetooth are Sync apps, not Android auto apps. Sync apps are terrible and barely work and should not be used by anyone for any reason whatsoever

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I’ve switched to Apple Car Play - Far better than Android Auto.

OP
OP

TxRanger386

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks, all. Sounds like my problems are problems everyone is having, without any real solutions. (Other than switching to iPhone.)

@SteamiestOyster, my fault in the original post. I mixed two separate issues.

1. Bluetooth is buggy. So I posted about issues with that. But I rarely use just Bluetooth. Almost always plugged in via the USB port.

2. Even plugged in, I can't get my call history to show up on the right-side screen of the dash. The calls I make/receive during that particular drive show. But that's cleared when I turn the car off. I used to be able to get call history, going back weeks. But that dropped off about 2-3 months ago. I didn't know if I'd inadvertently changed a setting somewhere. Sounds like this is an across-the-board bug.

@9zero1790, I deleted and reinstalled Android Auto on my phone. It did nothing except make me have to go through the setup and options selection stuff. Still the same problems.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Can you get a picture of this right side of the screen call history? With my AA the recent calls works fine, but its more of a full screen interface. It sounds like you are expecting information in the Sync menus while using AA, that is not how it was intended to work. But, perhaps I'm misunderstanding and your photo will clarify that for me.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
To be honest I have never had a reason to look at phone call history in Sync but was curious enough to go out and check.

Connected via Bluetooth I can see two screens worth of history (8 entries) in All Calls, Incoming Calls, Out Going Calls or Missed Calls in the right screen. There are more on the main Sync screen but not what my phone saves.

I seldom use Android Auto but when connected to AA the history is identical on the right screen and the main Sync screen as it is when connected via Bluetooth and no AA.

I would try a master reset on Sync if you don't see any history. Also, what version of Sync are you running? The current official release is 3.4 Build 21194 which is what I am running.

OP
OP

TxRanger386

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
@ControlNode, this is what I see.

This if from using the right-side selector on the steering wheel, selecting Phone (not Entertainment or Nav).

Then All Calls, Missed Calls, Incoming Calls... All those selections show this same blank screen.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

This if from using the right-side selector on the steering wheel, selecting Phone (not Entertainment or Nav).

Then All Calls, Missed Calls, Incoming Calls... All those selections show this same blank screen.
Did you do a Master Reset on Sync as I suggested and do you have the latest version of Sync?

OP
OP

TxRanger386

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
@Dgc333, thank you.

It sounds like yours is working the way it should, the way mine used to.

I very rarely use the phone, very rarely make/receive calls while driving.

But, when I do, I prefer to use the physical buttons on the steering wheel, rather than navigating through the touchscreen.

I have my family members set as pre-saves and positioned in the top row of my Android Auto, on the main screen. So I do use the big screen for my usual calls.

But, in my line of work, sometimes new people call me, and I was busy or something when they called. Since I live in Houston, I spend a lot of time on the road, stuck in traffic, etc.

So, it's nice to be able to scroll to my Missed Calls, and call the last number.

ETA: This is with the phone plugged in with USB. I don't know what the BB version would look like. I very rarely do BB.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TxRanger386

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
@Dgc333, I have NOT done the master reset yet, nor checked my version.

I had to run my son out for a practice earlier, and took the photo after I dropped him off.

Back at the house now, usual Saturday morning craziness with the kids getting up and getting ready for other practices and activities.

I'll do the version check and master reset probably this afternoon.

(I do know that I just recently downloaded a Sync update. But, again, this has been an ongoing issue for months now.)

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers

Ah, ok. Lariat only feature with that fancy gauge cluster. My XLT has the basic cluster. Just use the AA interface on the infotainment display. I think for that gauge cluster screen to work you need the phone connected as BT without the AA connection.

OP
OP

TxRanger386

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Ah, ok. Lariat only feature with that fancy gauge cluster. My XLT has the basic cluster. Just use the AA interface on the infotainment display. I think for that gauge cluster screen to work you need the phone connected as BT without the AA connection.
Got a screaming great deal on the Lariat. Honestly didn't even compare options with other trims.

Good to know this is a Lariat upgrade.

I'll try BT only and see if the cluster does anything different

Thanks.
Sponsored