Start Nav on Phone or on Screen (Android Auto)?

tgoulart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I have noticed that when I start to navigate using Google Maps on my phone, I do not see any Nav info on the dash when I select Navigation on the right side of the steering wheel; I only see the compass. If I start the Nav on the touchscreen I do see *some* info on the dash when I select Navigation on the steering wheel. The other oddity is it displays in km and not mi. Normal?
Sponsored

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
When you have your phone connected, there are two navigations available. I've never tried it, but I'll bet that the Nav button on the wheel goes to the onboard Nav, which (confusingly) is separate from the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay nav. When you plug your phone into the USB port, you should see a "Android Auto"/"Apple CarPlay" button appear across the bottom tray. Selecting that is where you'll find the Google Maps navigation.

As far as the km/mi discrepancy, are you sure your truck is not set to display metric units? Does the truck say you're going really fast when it doesn't feel like you are?

OP
OP
tgoulart

tgoulart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
When you have your phone connected, there are two navigations available. I've never tried it, but I'll bet that the Nav button on the wheel goes to the onboard Nav, which (confusingly) is separate from the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay nav. When you plug your phone into the USB port, you should see a "Android Auto"/"Apple CarPlay" button appear across the bottom tray. Selecting that is where you'll find the Google Maps navigation.

As far as the km/mi discrepancy, are you sure your truck is not set to display metric units? Does the truck say you're going really fast when it doesn't feel like you are?
Thanks Silk. Luckily my truck is set to mi and not km :) . And in both cases my phone is connected and I am using Google Maps on the phone and also under Android Auto on the touchscreen. I'm not using the built in Nav. The only difference is where I "start" the navigation. Selecting Navigation on the steering wheel yields different info on the dash. They differ depending on where the route plan is initiated (phone or touchscreen). Apologies if I wasn't clear.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Thanks Silk. Luckily my truck is set to mi and not km :) . And in both cases my phone is connected and I am using Google Maps on the phone and also under Android Auto on the touchscreen. I'm not using the built in Nav. The only difference is where I "start" the navigation. Selecting Navigation on the steering wheel yields different info on the dash. They differ depending on where the route plan is initiated (phone or touchscreen). Apologies if I wasn't clear.
Ford Nav I would say is "just OK". The community that I live in was built almost 5 years ago and the local roads still aren't in the NA119 map update sent out last year. On Google Maps, they were probably added before construction was even finished. Maybe the discrepancy you're seeing is down to Ford maps being outdated or something. I only use the onboard Nav when I'm going somewhere locally.

Who knows!

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have noticed that when I start to navigate using Google Maps on my phone, I do not see any Nav info on the dash when I select Navigation on the right side of the steering wheel; I only see the compass. If I start the Nav on the touchscreen I do see *some* info on the dash when I select Navigation on the steering wheel. The other oddity is it displays in km and not mi. Normal?
This is roughly my experience. IE whether or not the navigation info is on the right screen in my Lariat is hit or miss. When it is displayed, the units at the top are in Km (also read 0). I have not been able to correlate the screen showing navigation with when/how Google Maps navigation is started.

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
I was just going to ask about this today. I have an Apple phone, and when I plug it in to recharge- it switches from the Ranger NAV screen to a NAV screen from my phone. And I can’t figure how to see the radio channel selection screen. Anyway, I’d like to just use the Ranger stuff. I still would like to be able to Bluetooth my phone calls.

any idea how to un-mate the phone from the radio and still keep Bluetooth calls ?
(sorry to jump in your post)

854DC47F-5D49-410C-A744-59FB81AED4D3.jpeg

17333FD2-738F-41A6-9E0A-743DF135E36A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tgoulart

tgoulart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I don't know anything about Apple Car Play but I assume you have it plugged into the USB slots "underneath" to charge. I would use a cig lighter adapter and charge there. For my Android that only charges and doesn't start Android Auto. And you still have a BT connection for phone etc.

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
yes, that’s where it’s plugged in

i’ll try it, thanks

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
When you hit the “Nav” button on your Sync 3 system, you are using the built in, factory GPS. That is what the Navigation in the gauge cluster goes off of. When you are using Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc... it does not work with the navigation in the gauge cluster. As far as your navigation displaying km instead if mi, there is a separate settings button once you are in the factory navigation mode.

OP
OP
tgoulart

tgoulart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
When you hit the “Nav” button on your Sync 3 system, you are using the built in, factory GPS. That is what the Navigation in the gauge cluster goes off of. When you are using Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc... it does not work with the navigation in the gauge cluster. As far as your navigation displaying km instead if mi, there is a separate settings button once you are in the factory navigation mode.
Thanks. I understand the differences between the built in nav and nav capability in AA. Actually the nav info in the gauge cluster *partially* works when using AA Google Maps. And that is when it displays km and not mi on the cluster. So the separate settings button you referenced doesn't come into play in my scenario. And I'm not sure the cluster should display anything except the compass when using AA. But it does in my truck. And it differs depending on whether I start the nav on the phone or on the touchscreen. In both cases of course I am using AA.
Sponsored