Analog speedometer does not match digital speedometer by a lot

Mother2alex

First Name
Sherri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
-On four separate occasions, my analog speedometer does not match my digital speedometer. We are not talking a small discrepancy. We are talking about 17 miles difference. Please see pictures. One of them is when I am in park.
-Most times the analog speedometer is much higher than the digital but it also happens the opposite way as well
-when I press the reset button, it seems to fix it temporarily
-There are absolutely no aftermarket changes on this truck at this point.
-I would really like to know if anyone else has experienced this. I would also really like to know if there has been a resolution to it.

Tia

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Never messed with it myself. The first pic says 'average speed' so that's not gonna match. The second pic, I dunno.

Pay attention next time you run through one of those speed displays where they set up a radar station showing your speed, and see which one matches.

OP
OP

Mother2alex

First Name
Sherri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
Never messed with it myself. The first pic says 'average speed' so that's not gonna match. The second pic, I dunno.

Pay attention next time you run through one of those speed displays where they set up a radar station showing your speed, and see which one matches.
no. Itā€™s DIGITAL SPEDOMETER. NOT ā€œaverage speedā€

Counting Buck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Father | Hunter | Accountant
no. Itā€™s DIGITAL SPEDOMETER. NOT ā€œaverage speedā€
He's saying the first picture only matches because it's showing the average speed and not the current speed you're traveling at. The second picture definitely looks like an issue that I've never heard of before on this forum.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Hook up scanner and scan for codes, you will most likely have a stored code.
Do a IPC, ABS and PCM - Self Test as well with the Scanner or Forscan

ABS reports to PCM and PCM reports to the GWM, which then displays the Speed.
You are losing a communication somewhere.
IPC defaults to last known speed if com is lost for more than 5-seconds.

With a scan tool you can also command the Speed Odometer to increase in 10% increments for testing.

OP
OP

Mother2alex

First Name
Sherri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
He's saying the first picture only matches because it's showing the average speed and not the current speed you're traveling at. The second picture definitely looks like an issue that I've never heard of before on this forum.
Please look and see thereā€™s a clear difference between ā€œaverage speedā€ and digital speedā€ in the picture I know one is blurry but yā€™all should see itā€™s actual speedometer speed not average šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

IMG_0971.png

IMG_0970.png

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Please look and see thereā€™s a clear difference between ā€œaverage speedā€ and digital speedā€ in the picture I know one is blurry but yā€™all should see itā€™s actual speedometer speed not average šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

IMG_0971.png

IMG_0970.png
Your first picture is clearly average speed, the closeup pic is actual speed. I have no idea though why the digital and analog would be so far off. It's not reading km/h by mistake (55mph=88.5km/h) or Knots (55kt = 63.3 mph = 101.86km/h). Does it stay 13mph off throughout the range? do both go to zero at rest?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

IMG_0971.png

IMG_0970.png
What he has been trying to say is the first picture is of the average speed reading and will only match real speed immediately after it is reset. and will continually change away from real speed as your speed varies and time goes on. The digital speed reading does not have a reset feature. Why your digital speed display is varying from your analog gauge I have no idea. The key would be to find out which one is right. If you have an app on you cell phone that can give you a speed readout using the phones GPS signal that would be one way to check. I have the Torque app on my phone and both my analog and digital gauges match the GPS reading within 1 mph. Then you will know which one to have your dealer look at. The average speed gauge is real only good for trip information.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
What he has been trying to say is the first picture is of the average speed reading and will only match real speed immediately after it is reset. and will continually change away from real speed as your speed varies and time goes on. The digital speed reading does not have a reset feature. Why your digital speed display is varying from your analog gauge I have no idea. The key would be to find out which one is right. If you have an app on you cell phone that can give you a speed readout using the phones GPS signal that would be one way to check. I have the Torque app on my phone and both my analog and digital gauges match the GPS reading within 1 mph. Then you will know which one to have your dealer look at. The average speed gauge is real only good for trip information.
That makes sense now.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Yes, we know. :rolleyes: Good luck.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Aside from the first pic showing average speed, it also shows 32MPH while sitting in Park on the analog gauge.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Turn on nav on your phone and see what GPS speed is...or download a GPS speed app free...

OP
OP

Mother2alex

First Name
Sherri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
Yall are killing me lol IT IS NOT AVERAGE SPEED! Look at the blurry picture better lmao it is DIGITAL SPEED šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ve added an actual picture with ā€œAverage speedā€ so yall can see the difference šŸ‘€ rotflmao

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Aside from the first pic showing average speed, it also shows 32MPH while sitting in Park on the analog gauge.
I had missed the Park part, sorry. So obviously the analog speedo is the one that is having problems.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I had missed the Park part, sorry. So obviously the analog speedo is the one that is having problems.
Speedometer cable needs lube lol...not...
Sponsored