First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Having a problem mine. They are deploying fine but the driver side does not retract completely. If you evdr so lightly assist with theffh toe of your shoe it retracts fully. Passenger side did it once but that side is not used often.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Same thing happened to me when I installed mine. I called up amp and they told me to take the one step off and reinstall it per instructions 100% correct and that fixed everything perfectly.

IMG_7319.jpeg
Nice looking truck too, Robert. The AMPs present a clean simple appearance when retracted, and the chrome grille and side vents are a nice contrast with the wheel/tire combo.

OP
OP

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Same thing happened to me when I installed mine. I called up amp and they told me to take the one step off and reinstall it per instructions 100% correct and that fixed everything perfectly.

IMG_7319.jpeg
On your original install what did you do different than the instructions? Mine were working perfectly for six months, were yours working prior to your problem? I am quite certain my son and I followed the instructions.

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Toolmaker
When I installed them, I thought I followed the directions perfectly but when I called Amp customer service, they told me the Ranger is the most finicky install. You have to remove the bolts that hold that one side in and reinstall it again following the directions and if you try it about three or four times, you will see each time it will seat differently, depending upon how you tighten up the bolts. Bottom line everything has to be nice and neutralized before you tighten it down and they said it will be finicky so you just have to do it over and over again until it neutralizes itself and then it will open and close correctly. Yes it was a little bit of a pain but I’ve installed Amp steps on numerous trucks and I know the outcome will always be worth the trouble. I am guessing where the steps mount to the body is not that well aligned from one hole to another from Ford. Loosen all the bolts up and try a different tightening sequence, it will fix it eventually…….

OP
OP

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
When I installed them, I thought I followed the directions perfectly but when I called Amp customer service, they told me the Ranger is the most finicky install. You have to remove the bolts that hold that one side in and reinstall it again following the directions and if you try it about three or four times, you will see each time it will seat differently, depending upon how you tighten up the bolts. Bottom line everything has to be nice and neutralized before you tighten it down and they said it will be finicky so you just have to do it over and over again until it neutralizes itself and then it will open and close correctly. Yes it was a little bit of a pain but I’ve installed Amp steps on numerous trucks and I know the outcome will always be worth the trouble. I am guessing where the steps mount to the body is not that well aligned from one hole to another from Ford. Loosen all the bolts up and try a different tightening sequence, it will fix it eventually…….
Did yours work for six months before you had the problem, mine did.

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Toolmaker
Did yours work for six months before you had the problem, mine did.
I’m guessing I’ve had mine on there about six months now, but my problem was when I was installing it and I was frustrated because I couldn’t clearly see the problem but I knew what it was. I just couldn’t see it and when I called up Amp they gave me the incentive just keep reinstalling it and one time it’ll go perfect….

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Had mine "professionally" installed by the shop I bought them from... at first, they worked, then the did as described above. Took it back to them; they called AMP support (after multiple reinstall tries) and AMP said splay it with a specific 3M brand lubricant. Sorta worked for a while... then back to the drive side at the front wheel end not fully retracting. Project for this spring.

There has to be a means for the motor to know when to turn off after retracting... based on amp draw?? micro switch?? Would have thought something that could be adjusted but seems not.

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
I had that happen on the drivers side after about 3 years. All I did was lube the hinge pins with silicone spray and voila'.

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This thread sounds like an alignment issue to me. Probably some slight binding that when some dirt gets into the works is enough to cause the closing issues. Let face it dirt is a fact of life for side steps. I am not familiar with the mounting of the power steps, but I am willing to bet the are not mounted to a machine surface on the truck. The trial and error loosening and tightening is an effort to let the steps settle in to a working location. If this doesn't work or only temporarily it might require swimming. Start by loosen one bolt on the offending step and se if it helps. If not tighten that one and loosen another. Once you find the offending bolt place a thin shim in that location and try again. May sound like a lot of trial and error but I bet it will solve your issue long term.

I would the design allows for a certain amount of alignment issues. Your trucks may just be outliers at the extremes.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to be clear in my explanation.

Rence

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I just installed these last week, there are a couple things to consider here. First when installing the linkage assembly the motors needs to be off, you have to check for binding after installing the boards then you can install the motors. I’ve seen videos where people install the motors before installing the boards. Second is that the linkage assembly needs to be mounted completely flush with the body as it fits perfect up there, if it is mounted incorrectly it can bind. I will admit they are slick though esp with the led’s

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger Lariat Tech Pkg Tremor
Beautiful Ranger !! 😍
Agreed !!!.

I put the amp research on my F150 and never had one issue with them. But man they went up in price alot like crazy alot.

and yes make sure they are installed properly and not binding at all.

Jimmy 2021 FX4

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
Vehicle Showcase
On your original install what did you do different than the instructions? Mine were working perfectly for six months, were yours working prior to your problem? I am quite certain my son and I followed the instructions.

I am having the same problem. They retracted perfectly for 6 months. As of two weeks ago the passenger side leaves a 1/2 inch gap when retracted. I can push it as it retracts and it closes the gap, but now on its own it doesn't close fully like before.

1000003580.jpg

I and everyone who rides in my truck love the amp research side steps!
Sponsored