Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I LOVE Adaptive Cruise. I use it all the time but completely understand that along with Lane Keeping Assistant, it doesn't allow me to stop paying attention to the road and it's surroundings.

Glad nothing bad happened.
I love it too. Had several in my wife's different Hondas and it always worked flawlessly unless the vehicle was already stopped in front of me. Sometimes it would even stop completely behind a vehicle (after the ACC kicked in) that stopped at a light and would also take off on its own although not always. It's the only thing I miss on my Ranger except for the navigation wish I can live without since I use Waze.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Had my adaptive cruise set at 60 in a 55 and 3 bars on the distance sensor. It didn't stop... The truck just kept accelerating up on the Tacoma that was doing 55. Hit the brakes, turned CC off then back on, got some distance and tried again, same thing.

I checked the sensor when I got home and there's nothing on it and it's plugged in. No warning lights or CELs.

What the hell?
I only use the CC in very limited situations (on relatively open stretches of road where I know by bitter experience that Radars are used) and would not trust it in any kind of busy traffic such as you describe.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Not quite sure how ACC works since I did not read the manual nor ever used it. But does pre collision assistance have anything to do with ACC working properly? I turn my PCA off but the few times I had it on accidentally, it worked pretty well in terms of warning and braking the car.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
i believe they still operate as separate systems
the ACC is supposed to just slow you down and speed you up referencing the vehicle in front of you.

if you encounter a stopped car, or a rapidly stopping car, ACC may not be of any use. you have to interact and react to that by braking yourself, and if you dont do it, then the Pre Collision will do what it can.
Thanks for clearing that up RP. Good to know.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Was the Taco black by any chance? I have had this happen to me 3 times all in the same spot of road. All 3 times the cars were black...and all 3 times I was driving by a regional Airport. I have always wondered if there was radar interference from the Airport. But also why only black cars and only on this patch of road.
Radar can't see color, so the black paint would have to be a coincidence.

I would bet on the airport radar (being much higher power than your truck) being the culprit. That particular patch of road is where you are in their radar beam.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Tech that could be done manually and could impact your safety if faulty i just ignore. Example, those blindspot indicators i try not to rely on all the time. Same with adaptive cruise control, dont think id rely on those either.

amick1995

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Trenor
what you should see when it is active is the bars, and your car icon. They should be grey.
when it gets closer to another vehicle and recognises it, you will see it come into the picture and i believe the colors change.

if you're not getting it into the view, then you're not seeing it with the radar.

take it out on a less busy slower road and play around with it....you'll find out if its not working at all, or if something in the settings isnt right.
It will only show the other vehicle on the display if you have the setting for show distance turned on. If not, it will just show the icon for your truck and the bars for the set distance.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Tech that could be done manually and could impact your safety if faulty i just ignore. Example, those blindspot indicators i try not to rely on all the time. Same with adaptive cruise control, dont think id rely on those either.
Yeah, this tech is not to be solely relied upon. It's meant to be used as an added safety measure, which when used that way, is very helpful.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Radar can't see color, so the black paint would have to be a coincidence.

I would bet on the airport radar (being much higher power than your truck) being the culprit. That particular patch of road is where you are in their radar beam.
Back in the 90's a neighbor of mine who was a cop was telling us that Chevrolet had inadvertently mixed up with a paint that when used on one of their sedans in particular (the Lumina I think) that the combination would partially scatter the radar signal making it extremely hard to get an accurate speed reading on it.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Tested it today. Gray Volvo. Worked fine.

So weird.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Had my adaptive cruise set at 60 in a 55 and 3 bars on the distance sensor. It didn't stop... The truck just kept accelerating up on the Tacoma that was doing 55. Hit the brakes, turned CC off then back on, got some distance and tried again, same thing.

I checked the sensor when I got home and there's nothing on it and it's plugged in. No warning lights or CELs.

What the hell?
Thankfully, nobody was hurt. Still, it is interesting that the Ranger, set on adaptive cruise, went after a Taco, its greatest rival. Just saying....

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thankfully, nobody was hurt. Still, it is interesting that the Ranger, set on adaptive cruise, went after a Taco, its greatest rival. Just saying....
Guess the Ranger really wants to be #1

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Does the Lariat have ACC with Stop and Go?
It does not. It works the same as you described it. And I'm too afraid to test if it will go from ACC to auto-brake to avoid the low-speed rear ending of the car in front of me.

ranger-rick-roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I've had issues with mine too, taking it to the dealer to see what they can do. I have a feeling off roading jostles it around a bit and gets it mis-aligned.
Sponsored