SOLVED: Found a Flaw with the rear USB ports (not charging)

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
***1/16/2019 Update*** Unofficial Solution Available, USB Port Cables Were Not Plugged In From Factory

Well I found my first flaw, I have been trying to figure out why the rear seat usb charging points do not work, checked fuse etc, nothing. So being who I am I couldnt resist having a boo at whats behind it and heres what I found

The yellow circles show the cables to the 2 usb ports, the little black box(inverter?transformer, maybe just a splitter,) should be fed at the red arrow by what at first glace looks similar to a CAT 5 cable plug, but nothing is there or immediately visible. So now that my curiosity is satisfied, maybe I should check with the dealer:)

20190115_155012.jpg
Sponsored

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
no other wires dangling around in the console that would plug in to it? WE CAN DIG DEEPER!

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Your console is a big mystery with the wrongs switches installed an all.

OP
OP
toddiscdn

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
no other wires dangling around in the console that would plug in to it? WE CAN DIG DEEPER!
Ya, I may dig a bit deeper, dealers about 45 ins away, that was just a cursory look before it got dark.

" My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it" ;)

Above quote for us older folks:crackup:

OP
OP
toddiscdn

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
SUCCESS! thanks Josh for eggin me on. I had to take 2 bolts out holding down the back of the console so I could lift it a bit. Then I fished around with my fingers and there it was half under the carpet and wrapped around the 120v outlet wiring!

It's the little black one with white end.
20190116_162039.jpg

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
SUCCESS! thanks Josh for eggin me on. I had to take 2 bolts out holding down the back of the console so I could lift it a bit. Then I fished around with my fingers and there it was half under the carpet and wrapped around the 120v outlet wiring!

20190116_162039.jpg
Are you kidding me Ford!!!

At least it works now right?

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase

20190116_162039.jpg
Haha nice, glad I could pressure you into doing it yourself... There's nothing worse than taking your new baby back in to the dealer for them to touch it.

OP
OP
toddiscdn

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Ida likely got further into it sooner or later, but you spurred me on,lol.

With my luck it could be the only one, but I hope if anyone else has the issue they can fix it themselves or at least show their dealer this and have a quick fix.

Im used to having established forums and vehicles where answers are readily available like explorerforum, etc, this is new to all of us and its good to share what we learn.

I spend every day solving issues with large industrial equipment and systems and as we say " we can fix anything but a broken heart,, LOL

OP
OP
toddiscdn

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
BTW, it is remotely possible I could have found this without lifting the console, but it would require small hands im thinkig

Time to watch the Dakar

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
So I found out lastnlast that my rear USB ports aren't working either. Now I will disassemble the rear portion of the console to see if the wiring is hooked up or not.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I had forgotten all about this issue - I never checked mine - you made me go out and double check mine were working. I'm pleased to report that both ports are functional. Thanks for the reminder!

I had previously used the 150w outlet to charge up batteries for my cordless drill - my trucks first work day when I had only had it for 2 days. I had to board up a house and drive a ton of screws. The charger worked GREAT in that outlet! I just had to turn the accessory power on in order for the outlet to be active.

Hope your fix is as simple as the original poster.
Sponsored