OP
OP
randytheranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hey fellow Deeetroiter!

I was out playing in the snow last night also. Advanced Trac off and the donuts were just fine.

As a side note, and this probably could use a separate thread. Pulled into an unplowed parking lot with 6" or more snow. Others had already been there and kicked up some berms. Stopped the truck and left it in 2WD and turned Traction Control and Advanced Trac off with a long press on the button until I got confirmation. The truck would not move forward or backward. I put it n 4WD High and took off. I tried 2WD with the axle locked and it was not as good as the 4WD. Tried 4WD Lo and did some impressive 4 wheel drifts and donuts. Turned Advanced Trac back on and what a spoiler of fun that is.

4WD with the axle locked this thing is like a tank....

I'm jealous, I couldn't even get sideways at all without the TC shutting down my powers, couldn't even make it to 3000 rpm
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
So from my "careful" observations, if you don't lock your axle, and are turning out of the slide like you're supposed to in "real life" the ABS goes nuts attempting to turn you in the "correct" direction. If you lock your axle and are in 2WD it's fine with whatever level of slip your right foot desires.

In 4wd it does some really odd things though. Basically you have to use speed to begin the slide because if you're going slow, and you attempt any level of a turn, with the axle locked and the traction management stuff in the "fully" off position, all I could manage to do is go straight.

With the traction management fully enabled, the truck goes in the direction the steering wheel is pointed right NOW. IF you want to do any skids in this mode, you will have to resist the urge to turn out of the skid until said skid is accomplished, you can then end the skid fairly reliably by turning the wheel straight.

This was all performed on long grass with about 9" of snow on top of it.

OP
OP
randytheranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
got it to slip with locked diff, but thats still pretty inconvenient for the control of my truck that Im shooting for. Probably will end up getting a tune cause losing ABS with a fuse doesn't seem smart, also can turn off the stop start for good that way too.

I appreciate the "testing" you did for the sake of knowledge too btw.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
25 mile followup, the truck is caked in snow, Intercooler: full of snow, wheels: full of snow, parking sensors:Full of snow, Adaptive Cruise Radar Thingy: Full of snow.

Full report: Full of snow.

I think it was a proper testing exercise.

It's now thawing out in the heated garage...

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
25 mile followup, the truck is caked in snow, Intercooler: full of snow, wheels: full of snow, parking sensors:Full of snow, Adaptive Cruise Radar Thingy: Full of snow.

Full report: Full of snow.

I think it was a proper testing exercise.

It's now thawing out in the heated garage...
Pictures...Camera full of snow. :crackup:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Ive been frustrated with this issue as well. In 2wd with TC and AT off the traction control or stability control will still take over once I get the back end out. Man its annoying.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
got it to slip with locked diff, but thats still pretty inconvenient for the control of my truck that Im shooting for. Probably will end up getting a tune cause losing ABS with a fuse doesn't seem smart, also can turn off the stop start for good that way too.

I appreciate the "testing" you did for the sake of knowledge too btw.
What do you mean by it's pretty inconvenient? A locked diff at full slip is going to behave the virtually same as a limited slip diff in full slip. What kind of control are you referring to?

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean by it's pretty inconvenient? A locked diff at full slip is going to behave the virtually same as a limited slip diff in full slip. What kind of control are you referring to?
Doesnt the locked diff, automatically unlock at like 25mph though?

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Doesnt the locked diff, automatically unlock at like 25mph though?
Not that I'm aware of, it doesn't say anything about unlocking at certain speeds in the owner's manual.

I've definitely driven at relatively high speeds on loose terrain with the diff locked.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that I'm aware of, it doesn't say anything about unlocking at certain speeds in the owner's manual.

I've definitely driven at relatively high speeds on loose terrain with the diff locked.
It does unlock at 25, but from my "Testing" it's only when all the wheels say that the speed is 25Mph. It seemed to stay locked at a rear wheel speed far exceeding 25mph. If all wheels are spinning 25Mph, it unlocks, and then locks back up at 20mph.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
It does unlock at 25, but from my "Testing" it's only when all the wheels say that the speed is 25Mph. It seemed to stay locked at a rear wheel speed far exceeding 25mph. If all wheels are spinning 25Mph, it unlocks, and then locks back up at 20mph.
Gosh, the owner's manual is so garbage and always so vague. It doesn't say anything about 25 mph if it actually does unlock. This excerpt is the only sentence from the manual that talks about speed w/ the locking diff:

"High vehicle speed and high accelerator pedal application inhibit the electronic locking differential system engagement. Follow the instruction on the instrument cluster for engagement and disengagement."

Nonetheless, I agree with @t4thfavor , I've never had the diff unlock on me when I was doing snow drifts or donuts in the mud :)

OP
OP
randytheranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

A locked diff slip does not feel like limited diff slip in my opinion, but the inconvenience is more in the fact that my vehicle won't do what I tell it to when its fully capable of doing so...

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
A locked diff slip does not feel like limited diff slip in my opinion, but the inconvenience is more in the fact that my vehicle won't do what I tell it to when its fully capable of doing so...
I understand that they are not the same, but we're talking about just snow hooning in an empty parking lot here...

I guess I don't quite understand what you're trying to do lol unless you're going from some Formula Drift moves, the locked diff provides all the donuts and drifts I want in low traction conditions. A woosh of throttle in 2nd gear to initiate the slide and ample counter steer with careful throttle modulation gives you very predictable oversteer conditions.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I agree its nice to have some sort of work around for slow snow donuts, If I want to get the back end to step out a bit while taking some gravel or fire roads I should be able to do that. Turning TC and AT off essentially does nothing because it kicks back in as soon as the rear starts to move. If I turn it off I want it to stay off. Do tuners have any options for controlling this sort of thing?
Sponsored

Last edited: