ADVANCED TRAC STILL USES TRACTION CONTROL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
First snow here in Detroit for my new ranger and all I wanted to do was some donuts and small drifts. I turned off advanced trac, tried in sport mode and regular drive, and could not get the tires loose without interference with the traction control...

any one else have this issue? any one have a solution?
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just to make sure everybody is on the same page:
  • Short press of the traction control button turns off traction control only
  • Long press of the traction control button (3-5 seconds or something) turns off AdvanceTrac and RSC.
You did the long press?

OP
OP
randytheranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Just to make sure everybody is on the same page:
  • Short press of the traction control button turns off traction control only
  • Long press of the traction control button (3-5 seconds or something) turns off AdvanceTrac and RSC.
You did the long press?

Sure did the long press. still getting traction control...

feels like there is an extra limiter or something. maybe needs a tune to remove that?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It still has active stability control, it cannot be disarmed. This is the thing that keeps the wheels pointing down under all circumstances. You can thank Firestone for this.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You could be really dumb and cut all of the wires to the rear brakes.:crackup:

OP
OP
randytheranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hmmm. Interested to see where this goes because I'm fairly certain it shuts off all assists.

This is with Advanced Trac off and in sport mode...
It still has active stability control, it cannot be disarmed. This is the thing that keeps the wheels pointing down under all circumstances. You can thank Firestone for this.

this is very disappointing, Ford engineer friend of mine said pull the ABS fuse if you really wanna have fun but you lose other settings as well.

seems like tuning is whats gonna have to be done.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I've noticed that too, looks like Ford didn't want to fully disable traction/stability control even if you long press. Granted there is less interference after a long press, but it still kicks in. Most manufacturers do this, probably has to do with legal stuff.

The trick to completely disable the system is to lock your rear diff. Once you lock your diff and long press to turn off advanced trac, you'll get all the snow drifts your heart desires :)

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
First snow here in Detroit for my new ranger and all I wanted to do was some donuts and small drifts. I turned off advanced trac, tried in sport mode and regular drive, and could not get the tires loose without interference with the traction control...

any one else have this issue? any one have a solution?
Hey fellow Deeetroiter!

I was out playing in the snow last night also. Advanced Trac off and the donuts were just fine.

As a side note, and this probably could use a separate thread. Pulled into an unplowed parking lot with 6" or more snow. Others had already been there and kicked up some berms. Stopped the truck and left it in 2WD and turned Traction Control and Advanced Trac off with a long press on the button until I got confirmation. The truck would not move forward or backward. I put it n 4WD High and took off. I tried 2WD with the axle locked and it was not as good as the 4WD. Tried 4WD Lo and did some impressive 4 wheel drifts and donuts. Turned Advanced Trac back on and what a spoiler of fun that is.

4WD with the axle locked this thing is like a tank....

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Hey fellow Deeetroiter!

I was out playing in the snow last night also. Advanced Trac off and the donuts were just fine.

As a side note, and this probably could use a separate thread. Pulled into an unplowed parking lot with 6" or more snow. Others had already been there and kicked up some berms. Stopped the truck and left it in 2WD and turned Traction Control and Advanced Trac off with a long press on the button until I got confirmation. The truck would not move forward or backward. I put it n 4WD High and took off. I tried 2WD with the axle locked and it was not as good as the 4WD. Tried 4WD Lo and did some impressive 4 wheel drifts and donuts. Turned Advanced Trac back on and what a spoiler of fun that is.

Looking forward to trying the same things. Always good to know the capabilities and limitations of the vehicle..

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hey fellow Deeetroiter!

Detroit-ish here, I'm about to go tear up some snow, I'll get the proper process "documented" and post back.

Deleted member 1634

Hey fellow Deeetroiter!

Did you try 2WD with all the electronic aids on? That's what I'm curious about since that's what most of my driving will entail. Also, what tires are you running?

OP
OP
randytheranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I've noticed that too, looks like Ford didn't want to fully disable traction/stability control even if you long press. Granted there is less interference after a long press, but it still kicks in. Most manufacturers do this, probably has to do with legal stuff.

The trick to completely disable the system is to lock your rear diff. Once you lock your diff and long press to turn off advanced trac, you'll get all the snow drifts your heart desires :)

Ill try this outt
Sponsored