micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
LOL the heat is what delayed me as well - NC just dropped into the 80s last week with nights in the 60s! So I was able to make progress w/o sweating all over my truck interior. And I can FINALLY put the A-pillar trim back on!

You guys might already know this - I see why the APIM changes introduce Nav and would be hard to sort out comparing as builts. The only way to get ACC is with Nav. This applies to all Trim levels.
Technology Package:
Adaptive Cruise Control; and voice-activated Navigation System with pinch-to-zoom capability, and integrated SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link® services with 5-year subscription
I may play around with some of the Modules where Easy Mode has ACC lines to enable. When I cross checked them against our settings before only the few lined up.

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
LOL the heat is what delayed me as well - NC just dropped into the 80s last week with nights in the 60s! So I was able to make progress w/o sweating all over my truck interior. And I can FINALLY put the A-pillar trim back on!

You guys might already know this - I see why the APIM changes introduce Nav and would be hard to sort out comparing as builts. The only way to get ACC is with Nav. This applies to all Trim levels.

I may play around with some of the Modules where Easy Mode has ACC lines to enable. When I cross checked them against our settings before only the few lined up.
Yeah I don't have NAV That was an issue I was running into when I was looking at VIN numbers of various trucks, Find the golden goose. But I am happy to say and we have ACC working without NAV. Now if we can just figure out the Trail Control.

I had last week off (staycation), which was awesome as I got to many of the projects I have been wanting to find the time for done. I did the timing belt on my Audi TT first which I'm glad I did because it made the Ford project easy in comparison. Now I'm ready to tackle the next project.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I have never used my TC. Have heard its not that effective.
The last time I thought of using it I was going down a spiral parking garage ramp, 3-4 floors up!

But its the thrill of the chase!! I read that XLTs have an issue so maybe possible with a Lariat.

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
I have never used my TC. Have heard its not that effective.
The last time I thought of using it I was going down a spiral parking garage ramp, 3-4 floors up!

But its the thrill of the chase!! I read that XLTs have an issue so maybe possible with a Lariat.
I will probably NEVER use TC but if we can figure out how to make it work I will pretty much have a Lariat FX4
(I already have an e-locker)

Going to talk to my friend at the parts yard and see about an APIM.
I like Google maps, but I'm now addicted to adding the options.

Last edited:

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
I had last week off (staycation), which was awesome as I got to many of the projects I have been wanting to find the time for done. I did the timing belt on my Audi TT
I used to have a Beetle Turbo S that put down 300 to the wheels.
It was nuts!

I always wanted a TT. At that time in our lives, we had kids, so we needed the back seat as a people mover, so no TT for us.
I refuse to accept help for my car modding addiction - I don't have a problem, I can stop at any time.

Old crappy picture:
AkersTurboS.jpg

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I used to have a Beetle Turbo S that put down 300 to the wheels.
It was nuts!

I always wanted a TT. At that time in our lives, we had kids, so we needed the back seat as a people mover, so no TT for us.
I refuse to accept help for my car modding addiction - I don't have a problem, I can stop at any time.

Old crappy picture:
AkersTurboS.jpg
The TT is a fun car, but it's NOT fast... 225 HP AWD and makes lots of noise. My daily driver is my Tesla Model 3 Performance, No clutch, No shifting, just press the GO Pedal. So nothing else is fast anymore.

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I will probably NEVER use TC but if we can figure out how to make it work I will pretty much have a Lariat FX4
(I already have an e-locker)

Going to talk to my friend at the parts yard and see about an APIM.
I like Google maps, but I'm now addicted to adding the options.
Yes let's GET ER DONE!

People want way too much for the APIM for Nav so I'll pass on that option. But yes on the Trail Control

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
This thread is WAY too long for me but I'd like to share some of my pros and cons of ACC. Pro: really nice on the busy highways in my area to speed up and slow down automatically as the traffic flows. Really love it.

Cons: even at the closest setting, there is just enough room between the truck and the vehicle in front that A$$holes love to cut into. this causes the ACC to hit the brakes and make room so someone else can therefore cut you off. (Western WA has terrible drivers). i don't use ACC much during high traffic hours because of this.

the next two cons take effect even when ACC isn't engaged. (maybe this is a different system IDK). If I mash the pedal to pass a slow driver and am too close to them, the truck will not accelerate until I am in the passing lane. I understand tailgating is bad and don't want to do that but I get ZERO acceleration until I am entirely in the other lane.

I must frequently make a right hand turn onto a 40 MPH street. I can see about 60 ft to the left and its a blind corner past that for the oncoming drivers to my left. I am used to hitting the gas just as a car is passing so i can get right behind them and in the lane before any cars come around the corner. the ACC will cause the truck to not move forward for about one second after a car has passed me. which delay's me getting onto the street. this is the biggest con for me as I'm constantly worried about getting T boned because I can't get into the lane quick enough and if someone does come around, Its too late to hit the brakes because I'm already half way on the street..

I do still like it for long trips in moderate to low congestion areas. Just my $0.02

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Yes let's GET ER DONE!

People want way too much for the APIM for Nav so I'll pass on that option. But yes on the Trail Control
I looked to adding Nav as one of my 1st mods. Looked pretty easy as a few places sell APIMs ready programmed with your VIN, but for $1000. And that was before I knew I could use FORScan to do it myself. But now I have a wireless android auto module and don't mind Google maps or waze.
And let me know if I can help with TC as I already have it.
My next Ranger project is installing Bilstien 5100s up front. Crappy shocks is the price you pay for getting TC with FX4...

@Gazmic thanks for the constructive feedback. I will keep an eye out for those idiosyncrasies. I wish Ford had mDe it easier to toggle ACC on and off rather than buried in the menus

Last edited:

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
But now I have a wireless android auto module and don't mind Google maps or waze.
And let me know if I can help with TC as I already have it.
I also have a wireless Android Auto unit and the wireless charging tray that DirkM makes/sells.
Having both is pretty awesome.
If I can get the APIM cheap enough, it's going in.

@Gazmic the scenarios you're describing I would bet are the exact reason that Ford allows you to choose between the two version - that and for me it's going to be winter snow/ice build up on the sensor face.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a wireless Android Auto unit and the wireless charging tray that DirkM makes/sells.
Having both is pretty awesome.
If I can get the APIM cheap enough, it's going in.
Ditto on Dirks tray! I actually think it looks better than stock - what Ford should have done.
I find for long trips using maps and music I need to plug in to keep up with the load.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
anyone notice that cross traffic no longer works. I also don't get the big red collision warning any more

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
I live in a pretty small town so I rarely have the cross traffic alert. I'll check tomorrow.

I did notice that as I was backing into the driveway, I thought for sure that my warnings should have been yelling at me that I was too close to my wife's vehicle.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
My cross traffic still works. It's pretty sensitive. I don't really know these new systems but wonder if we sometimes need recalibration?
Sponsored