sixthway

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4WD
Edit -- SUCCESS!!

After looking at the manual which can be bought from Ford, I came across this verbiage:

"On some applications, the Body Control Module (BCM) transmits VIN, Tire Circumference, Axle Ratio, and Cruise Control Configuration (CCC) over the vehicle CAN network to the ECM/PCM as well as to other modules in the vehicle that use this information."

Then I remembered over on the f150 forums that the recipe for success was to change one of the lines in the BCM.
I checked my Ranger as-built, and sure enough, the same line was there, and the exact same change was required.
So I was almost there and this was the last piece of the puzzle. Here was the deciding line:

BCM
726-13-01 8084 6045 00EA - my ranger (w/o cruise enabled)
726-13-01 8088 6045 00EE - cruise enabled rangers

Cycled the ignition, pressed the "on" button on the steering wheel, and the words "SET MPH" appeared on the display.
Took it for a test drive, and sure enough, it worked.

cruisepic.jpg

Worth noting is that I called at least 4 different Ford dealerships in my area and I got some variant of this response:
"Can't be done"
"Technically can be done, but it would cost enormous amounts of money"
"We'll look into it" *day passes* "Can't be done, just install aftermarket"
"You can install aftermarket, but wait until the warranty is out"
So further proof that dealerships are not to be trusted.

So, in summary, here is what is required:
Steering wheel with the cruise buttons, can be purchased directly from Ford for a few hundred dollars.
Forscan software ($20 for a year)
ELM327 adapter with HS/MS switch (just research, this can be bought on amazon for ~$30)
1 line change in BCM
1 line change in SCCM
4 line changes in IPC (this may vary based on your particular vehicle)

Here is what is NOT required:
Ford IDS or equivalent Ford-sanctioned software
Ford VCMII connector
Changes to the PCM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm fishing for some assistance on this - I've made some good progress but am hitting a wall.

I realized the day after I bought my ranger that it does not have cruise control. I did get the XL trim to save a few thousand. But still, they should be including cruise on any modern vehicle, I think all the necessary hardware is already installed anyway.

Ford, if you're reading this, I would happily pay a couple hundred dollars for you to enable cruise.

There are some threads elsewhere on the internet where people have successfully enabled cruise control for F150s over on one of their forums and then on the forscan forums there's a large thread where they did it for a mazda. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

I found a few other VINs on dealership websites for Rangers similar to mine but with cruise enabled and compared the as built codes. Here's what I found.

The modules that matter, as far as I can tell, are:
SCCM (steering column CM)
IPC (instrument panel cluster)
PCM (powertrain)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the SCCM:
Only one line is different on all trucks I compared:

724-02-01 4401 302F 380A - my ranger
724-02-01 4411 302F 382E - cruise enabled rangers

My factory steering wheel has no buttons on the left hand side where the cruise buttons would be. When I changed this line in SCCM, I got these DTCs:
B137F:13-0A steering wheel left switch pack: circuit open
B137F:96-0A steering wheel left switch pack: component internal failure

So after changing this line, it's expecting to see some buttons on the wheel, but it isn't, and so it's giving me these DTCs.
So I'm confident that this line is directly related to cruise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the IPC:
There's a few more differences in IPC:

720-01-02 0063 40CD - my ranger
720-01-02 0063 50DD - cruise enabled rangers
Changing this resulted in this DTC:
B137F:4A-08 (steering wheel left switch pack: incorrect component installed)

720-02-01 4DC5 363D 1AC9 - my ranger
720-02-01 4DC5 363D 1ECD - cruise enabled rangers

720-05-02 0000 0230 - my ranger
720-05-02 0800 0238 - cruise enabled rangers

720-07-01 0401 0000 093D - my ranger
720-07-01 8401 0000 09BD - cruise enabled rangers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So after changing these codes, it's telling me that the factory steering wheel is the incorrect component, it's expecting to see a wheel with cruise buttons.
I bought the new steering wheel with cruise buttons from parts.ford.com - find the one where the description says "with speed control". For me I also needed the one with "Sync Gen 3 Lite".

I took the factory steering wheel off and installed the new one. This is a fairly straightforward process, I can post more about this if there's interest.

Anyway, after installing the new wheel, and re-checking the DTCs, they all went away. However, I got a new one, this time from the PCM:
P2610: - ECM/PCM Engine Off Timer Performance
Luckily, after cycling the ignition and resetting the DTCs, this one went away and didn't come back.

So, at this point I've changed lines in the SCCM & IPC and installed the new steering wheel and I have no DTCs.
Took it for a quick test drive and the cruise buttons had no effect. (All other steering wheel buttons worked as usual.) Also, I didn't see any indication in the instrument panel cluster that cruise control was activated. According to the manual that comes with the truck, if cruise is enabled it would be inside the 'Driver Assist' menu on the digital display, but it wasn't there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, moving on to the PCM:

7E0-163-03 0000 0005 00AD - my ranger
7E0-163-03 0000 0004 009D - cruise enabled rangers

There are some other differences, but this is one line that all cruise-enabled rangers have in common.
Also, the PCM in my ranger has 52 lines in 7E0-165 and I only found one other ranger which had those lines.

After making the change to just the 7E0-163-03 line, there were no DTCs and I went for another test drive, with the same results, cruise buttons had no effect and it was not in the digital display.

And this is where I'm currently stuck. I'm hesitant to make a lot of exploratory changes in the PCM since it's likely the most important module.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They got pretty deep into the weeds over on this thread:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5107&hilit=cruise+control&start=20

Where they had to change one value in the PCM, but for it to be valid they had to change another value towards the end of the module to satisfy a checksum over the entire module instead of just the usual line. That may also be the case here, but I have no clue how to know where the checksum is.

I'm posting this on the off chance that someone can get me to the finish line on this or if someone else has the same issue we can put our heads together and figure it out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bonus:
After messing with some other lines in the IPC:
720-01-01 is related to cross traffic system. When I changed this, I got a message in the digital display that said Cross Traffic System Fault. (My truck does not have that enabled.)

720-03-01 is related to blind spot system. Same as above.

720-04-02 is related to park aid system. Same as above.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
unfortunately, you can expect no help from Ford.
They have an "as built" policy.
I asked about an upgraded instrument cluster.
I was told that they can do it but they won't because it is against Ford policy.
Ford will only install parts or programming which was original to the particular truck "as built"

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I'm fishing for some assistance on this - I've made some good progress but am hitting a wall.

I realized the day after I bought my ranger that it does not have cruise control. I did get the XL trim to save a few thousand. But still, they should be including cruise on any modern vehicle, I think all the necessary hardware is already installed anyway.

Ford, if you're reading this, I would happily pay a couple hundred dollars for you to enable cruise.

There are some threads elsewhere on the internet where people have successfully enabled cruise control for F150s over on one of their forums and then on the forscan forums there's a large thread where they did it for a mazda. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

I found a few other VINs on dealership websites for Rangers similar to mine but with cruise enabled and compared the as built codes. Here's what I found.

The modules that matter, as far as I can tell, are:
SCCM (steering column CM)
IPC (instrument panel cluster)
PCM (powertrain)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the SCCM:
Only one line is different on all trucks I compared:

724-02-01 4401 302F 380A - my ranger
724-02-01 4411 302F 382E - cruise enabled rangers

My factory steering wheel has no buttons on the left hand side where the cruise buttons would be. When I changed this line in SCCM, I got these DTCs:
B137F:13-0A steering wheel left switch pack: circuit open
B137F:96-0A steering wheel left switch pack: component internal failure

So after changing this line, it's expecting to see some buttons on the wheel, but it isn't, and so it's giving me these DTCs.
So I'm confident that this line is directly related to cruise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the IPC:
There's a few more differences in IPC:

720-01-02 0063 40CD - my ranger
720-01-02 0063 50DD - cruise enabled rangers

720-02-01 4DC5 363D 1AC9 - my ranger
720-02-01 4DC5 363D 1ECD - cruise enabled rangers

720-05-02 0000 0230 - my ranger
720-05-02 0800 0238 - cruise enabled rangers

720-07-01 0401 0000 093D - my ranger
720-07-01 8401 0000 09BD - cruise enabled rangers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So after changing these codes, it's telling me that the factory steering wheel is the incorrect component, it's expecting to see a wheel with cruise buttons.
I bought the new steering wheel with cruise buttons from parts.ford.com - find the one where the description says "with speed control". For me I also needed the one with "Sync Gen 3 Lite".

I took the factory steering wheel off and installed the new one. This is a fairly straightforward process, I can post more about this if there's interest.

Anyway, after installing the new wheel, and re-checking the DTCs, they all went away. However, I got a new one, this time from the PCM:
P2610: - ECM/PCM Engine Off Timer Performance
Luckily, after cycling the ignition and resetting the DTCs, this one went away and didn't come back.

So, at this point I've changed lines in the SCCM & IPC and installed the new steering wheel and I have no DTCs.
Took it for a quick test drive and the cruise buttons had no effect. (All other steering wheel buttons worked as usual.) Also, I didn't see any indication in the instrument panel cluster that cruise control was activated. According to the manual that comes with the truck, if cruise is enabled it would be inside the 'Driver Assist' menu on the digital display, but it wasn't there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, moving on to the PCM:

7E0-163-03 0000 0005 00AD - my ranger
7E0-163-03 0000 0004 009D - cruise enabled rangers

There are some other differences, but this is one line that all cruise-enabled rangers have in common.
Also, the PCM in my ranger has 52 lines in 7E0-165 and I only found one other ranger which had those lines.

After making the change to just the 7E0-163-03 line, there were no DTCs and I went for another test drive, with the same results, cruise buttons had no effect and it was not in the digital display.

And this is where I'm currently stuck. I'm hesitant to make a lot of exploratory changes in the PCM since it's likely the most important module.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They got pretty deep into the weeds over on this thread:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5107&hilit=cruise+control&start=20

Where they had to change one value in the PCM, but for it to be valid they had to change another value towards the end of the module to satisfy a checksum over the entire module instead of just the usual line. That may also be the case here, but I have no clue how to know where the checksum is.

I'm posting this on the off chance that someone can get me to the finish line on this or if someone else has the same issue we can put our heads together and figure it out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bonus:
After messing with some other lines in the IPC:
720-01-01 is related to cross traffic system. When I changed this, I got a message in the digital display that said Cross Traffic System Fault. (My truck does not have that enabled.)

720-03-01 is related to blind spot system. Same as above.

720-04-02 is related to park aid system. Same as above.

Cruse Control is one of two reasons I purchased the 101A package (the other is the unlock and lock from the key thing - especially the tail gate). I knew that the basic XL did NOT have those features.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'd guess about all you can do is add an aftermarket cruise control if any are available. I'm pretty sure Ford will not install theirs for you as stated above.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
unfortunately, you can expect no help from Ford.
They have an "as built" policy.
I asked about an upgraded instrument cluster.
I was told that they can do it but they won't because it is against Ford policy.
Ford will only install parts or programming which was original to the particular truck "as built"

I’m not so sure, Floyd. I went through this same process on an ‘09 Focus. Most irritating thing in the world, when the only thing keeping you from having cruise is $10 worth of buttons. That was obviously an upsell play.

Anyhow, I installed the proper steering wheel and dropped it off at the dealer with instructions to “enable cruise control”. After some back and forth with the service manager over what that actually entailed, they got it done for me.

Tl;dr my dealer has enabled cruise for me on a Focus in the past. Two of them, in fact: I guided my sister-in-law through the same process as well.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I’m not so sure, Floyd. I went through this same process on an ‘09 Focus. Most irritating thing in the world, when the only thing keeping you from having cruise is $10 worth of buttons. That was obviously an upsell play.

Anyhow, I installed the proper steering wheel and dropped it off at the dealer with instructions to “enable cruise control”. After some back and forth with the service manager over what that actually entailed, they got it done for me.

Tl;dr my dealer has enabled cruise for me on a Focus in the past. Two of them, in fact: I guided my sister-in-law through the same process as well.
I bought a wheel and associated parts and installed cruise on my 2008 Escape too.
This is 2019 10years after your Focus... and the "as built" policy is what I am told is policy now.
That doesn't mean you can't get some help, it just means it may have to be local and confidential.
I don't speak for Ford, but in this case I am repeating what Ford told me.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
I just checked the workshop manual for rangers. They use the ABS and RCM for cruise. Trucks with active cruise control have an additional CCM as well, something to look out for when comparing as built.

OP
OP

sixthway

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4WD
I just checked the workshop manual for rangers. They use the ABS and RCM for cruise. Trucks with active cruise control have an additional CCM as well, something to look out for when comparing as built.
Yeah, I've been referencing the workshop manual and noticed the RCM and ABS modules in there, also the GWM.
There have been no differences in RCM as built codes but there was at least one difference in the ABS which I ignored. Maybe that's stopping it?

The CCM is not in this diagram though. I think the CCM only comes into play for adaptive cruise control, which I'm not after.
cruise_modules.png

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Yeah, I've been referencing the workshop manual and noticed the RCM and ABS modules in there, also the GWM.
There have been no differences in RCM as built codes but there was at least one difference in the ABS which I ignored. Maybe that's stopping it?

The CCM is not in this diagram though. I think the CCM only comes into play for adaptive cruise control, which I'm not after.
cruise_modules.png
Do you happen to be able to to monitor PIDs for the sccm? Seeing how far the request to activate cruise is getting may help narrow down what your missing. I noticed the BPP switch has a separate switch in it for cruise as well.

OP
OP

sixthway

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4WD
Do you happen to be able to to monitor PIDs for the sccm? Seeing how far the request to activate cruise is getting may help narrow down what your missing. I noticed the BPP switch has a separate switch in it for cruise as well.
I have access to a lot of PIDs, including the brake pedal status, but unfortunately Forscan does not show me any PIDs for the SCCM. I considered buying a subscription to IDS but the connector you're supposed to use (vcm ii) is like $1500, so I'm not sure about that.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
I have access to a lot of PIDs, including the brake pedal status, but unfortunately Forscan does not show me any PIDs for the SCCM. I considered buying a subscription to IDS but the connector you're supposed to use (vcm ii) is like $1500, so I'm not sure about that.
You don't have to buy the Bosch communication module that ford sells. VCM clones usually go for under $200. I've never personally used a clone but I have heard of others using them. IDS is awesome if you work on newer Fords a lot.

OP
OP

sixthway

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4WD
You don't have to buy the Bosch communication module that ford sells. VCM clones usually go for under $200. I've never personally used a clone but I have heard of others using them. IDS is awesome if you work on newer Fords a lot.
Thanks for your help, but as it turns out, I don't need IDS or VCM / VCM clone, I was just missing one more line change! It works now!

Egozor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion 18
Hello. Maybe you know what needs to be changed in the PCM module in order to activate the speed limiter (Fusion 2017-2018)?

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
This is great. Am really glad that you were able to activate cruise control on your vehicle. I wonder if part of this can help us figure out how to get Trail Control to work on a non-FX4. Believe it uses cruise control in some manner.

jpr2323

First Name
jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger
Occupation
diy
Trying to do the same exact project with a ranger xl 2020! If any of you guys have a clue! I have 22 different lines when I compaired my truck to 3 others that had cruise control enable!
Thanks for the help!
1617767156903.png
Sponsored