daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
@daczone @5G Dan-O @CHrisin
I played around with Easy Mode setting to see if all changes could be made that way, well they cant. What we have works, but only a couple need Hex changes. I made a Summary of where I ended up after all this. See if you guys agree with it.

And sorry cant help myself I live in power point at work...

And Loving having ACC!
Excellent Job, Now just gotta mention the possible missing CANBUS/IPMA wiring and the RADAR install and that wiring. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
Finally got a chance to take a real ride today - agreed, ACC is awesome.

I didn't see me having much time to make the how-to in the immediate future so thanks for posting the PPT.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah my other one started the hdw, this one was focused on just Forscan
But All good point to add

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I just turned in my 2 wk notice so I should have time!

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Cleaned up the FORScan - Hardware setup is next

Attachments

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Heres the Hardware part - not my best work but....

And don't worry Guys I have a new job lined up already!

Crap - I just realized the links don't work in the pdf?‍ will fix that later

Attachments

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
I would've paid for that plus shipping last month.

I will say that in my professional opinion, the grill mounted sensor must let the modules work/see better since it's a foot or more higher up.
With my old car, it would punch the throttle to speed up once the slower car in front of me temporarily disappeared on a hill or big curve. I drove it all over this weekend and the Ranger's ACC never missed a beat.

Still having the OEM bracket would've let me flex a little with ACC.

032-Bias

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Operator
Hey all

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to say I really appreciate all the work, testing, and documentation on this. This is probably the addition I want the most on my secondhand 2019 Ranger XLT. We had ACC on a Focus we rented a few months ago and it really spoiled me.

It seems like micl9 pretty much idiot proofed the write up, but I just have a couple questions before I take the plunge:

1. Does it matter what model and year Ford vehicle the ACC sensor comes from if going with a used sensor? (Just learned the one I'm eyeing is from a 2021 Ranger, but they claim it needs programming from FDRS)

2. Is 18 gauge stranded copper wire okay to make the new wiring harness? Or should I buy a twisted pair specifically for the CANBUS signal wires?

3. Is it acceptable to use splice taps/quick taps to make the connections, specifically the CANBUS connections?
https://www.harborfreight.com/50-pack-quick-wire-splices-96230.html
Or should I just solder them instead?

4. Is an OBDLink EX a good cable to use for this project (or really in general)? It seems like it should pair well with FORScan, but I'm just hesitant to pull the trigger.

I've read through this thread and related information a couple times now, as well as dug a little bit into the FORScan forums. I just want to make sure I'm not going to do something horribly wrong before going into this.

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Hey all

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to say I really appreciate all the work, testing, and documentation on this. This is probably the addition I want the most on my secondhand 2019 Ranger XLT. We had ACC on a Focus we rented a few months ago and it really spoiled me.

It seems like micl9 pretty much idiot proofed the write up, but I just have a couple questions before I take the plunge:
Indeed he did!
1. Does it matter what model and year Ford vehicle the ACC sensor comes from if going with a used sensor? (Just learned the one I'm eyeing is from a 2021 Ranger, but they claim it needs programming from FDRS)
Other than a 2022 which I don't believe has been tested, any 2019 and up should work.
2. Is 18 gauge stranded copper wire okay to make the new wiring harness? Or should I buy a twisted pair specifically for the CANBUS signal wires?
18 gauge is great. I made a twisted pair. Save some money and just make your own.
3. Is it acceptable to use splice taps/quick taps to make the connections, specifically the CANBUS connections?
https://www.harborfreight.com/50-pack-quick-wire-splices-96230.html
Or should I just solder them instead?
Something as critical as a high speed network for a safety item deserves, no it demands solder. :)
Quick taps should not be used - horrible point of entry for corrosion - this is coming from my own personal experience fixing the damage they have done.
4. Is an OBDLink EX a good cable to use for this project (or really in general)? It seems like it should pair well with FORScan, but I'm just hesitant to pull the trigger.
Yup, this one - CLICK HERE
I've read through this thread and related information a couple times now, as well as dug a little bit into the FORScan forums. I just want to make sure I'm not going to do something horribly wrong before going into this.
We're here to help!

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Only thing I will add to Dan's comments is - agree never use that style of tap. I was going to solder - but got lazy and used Posi-Taps. I have had good luck with them so far and they dont cut the wires. THe poin essentially plugs the hole it makes in the insulation.

Good Luck!

tjs2906

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I've tested it since and have been able to make it work and also recreate the issue I experienced. It appears to work well until either I or the person in the other lane drifts too close to the dividing line between the lanes. At that point it slows you down like you were approaching the other car from behind. It may be actually functioning as designed in these scenarios , but I have only recreated this with me being in the fast lane.
I had a 2022 Bronco that did the exact same thing. It was actually pretty annoying.
In fact almost caused me to be rear ended. Not sure if anyone is still following this thread
but I am going to try and add ACC to my 2019 Lariat

tjs2906

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I just ordered everything to install ACC to my 2019 Ranger, but I can't find the part number or listing for the cover that goes over the radar module. Where did you find the cover?
Thanks
Tom

032-Bias

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Operator